Got lucky at the car wash

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday, after work I went to the car wash. I put two dollar bills into the bill changer and out came this 1964D SILVER quarter. Definitely the icing on the cake for the day. I hadn't seen a silver quarter in the "wild" for at least 1 1/2 years(since finding one metal detecting). I've met the owner of this car wash once before and I'll make a point of asking her where she gets her change. I'm on a 29 box quarter skunk streak with Wells Fargo(my bank). So wherever she got the silver quarter from is the only "live" source of silver quarters I'm aware of. Coinstars aren't producing and to find one MDing is very very hard.

I enjoy finding the silver quarters much more than I do silver dimes. HH and happy holidays to all. 7up. :happy2:

IMG_3526[1].JPG

Upvote 0

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver, always fun to eyeball an old coin. Congrats!

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked in a car wash for a bit. We never need quarters. They usally just end up getting recycled . i.e. put a buck in the change machine, use the quarters there at the car wash. end of the week open up all the machines , dump all the quarters back in the change machine and take the bills to the bank.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked in a car wash for a bit. We never need quarters. They usally just end up getting recycled . i.e. put a buck in the change machine, use the quarters there at the car wash. end of the week open up all the machines , dump all the quarters back in the change machine and take the bills to the bank.

That's a good point but I never use all the quarters I retrieve from the bill changer. And I've seen people use the bill changer but don't use them on the car wash services. They just need change.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see your point. This could have come from someone's change and she uses the change to put in the bill changer. I'll ask the owner anyways. You never know.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"got lucky at the car wash" ?

Why was the wife in the mood ?

:P

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was you so excited that you forgot to wash the car? I probably would have sucked all the change I could outta the change machine......

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was you so excited that you forgot to wash the car? I probably would have sucked all the change I could outta the change machine......

LOL. Ditto.

I would've grab a few Benjamin (the $100 Bill type) and change them all.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I understand the desire, but that would be a very crappy thing to do. Your desire to find "free" silver shouldn't affect the car wash owner's ability to do business.

I didn't know there were any coin operated car washes left. Around here they only take bills (or plastic).

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand the desire, but that would be a very crappy thing to do. Your desire to find "free" silver shouldn't affect the car wash owner's ability to do business.

I didn't know there were any coin operated car washes left. Around here they only take bills (or plastic).

I happened to be in the area yesterday so I went over and exchanged $18 for quarters to see if I could get lucky again. Nada. I see ArkieBassMan's point--it is a bit unfair to the owner(i.e. I don't believe in emptying the change machine to try and find silver). Though, my employer brings her hundreds of dollars of car wash business so I don't think she's hurting at all. Finding silver quarters anywhere is such a rare thing nowadays.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread