My First Boxed Silver

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've scored silver in teller trays, in pocket change, in coinstars, and in cwrs, but until Friday I had no luck whatsoever with mwrs. I'd searched hundreds of dollars worth of dimes and nickels that were machine wrapped, and my first three boxes of halves were complete skunks, which I'm aware is hardly a streak at all but was nonetheless disappointing.
When I picked up my fourth box of halves Friday, I didn't see any enders, so I figured it would be another skunk, but lo and behold, my luck changed halfway through. The box eventually yielded 2 '64s, 1 '67, and 1 '68D, along with a good-looking '87D. And, to shamelessly rip off port ewen ace's title from the other day, it looked like JFK was assassinated not once more, but twice more; I found two halves that people must've had on necklaces at some point. I didn't realize that people did that with modern coins, especially clad. Also included here is a British 5 pence I fished out of a coinstar. Would've preferred a silver Rosie, but foreign stuff is cool too. I hope this signals an end to the skunks....for a time anyways.
HH All,
WFC
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482114268.285347.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482114439.838911.jpg

Upvote 0

stevepennell

Greenie
Dec 17, 2016
texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2, Garrett TA300, Garrett G500, Bounty hunter 101, Fisher aquanaut 1280-x, Whites gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow! I"ve been wanting to search coin rolls from banks, but ive never used a coinstar. I thought you put coins in and got cash out? can you buy change from them? Please tell me how it works hunting for coins in rolls.
thanks, Steve.

OP
OP
W

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve,
You must be new to the forum, so welcome to TNet. Putting change into coinstar machines is a good way to lose money, and to the best of my knowledge you can't buy bags off of them....but you wouldn't want to anyways, because they reject silver and foreign coins with noticeably different compositions, such as steel. Sometimes they also spit out regular clad if you feed them too quickly. Check the reject tray when you pass by them and sometimes you'll be nicely rewarded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread