Missed by "MINUTES"

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturday was doing my rounds picking up my dime boxes. Traffic was busy with shoppers & wintery weather. Stopped at my first branch bank, walked inside, only one teller for now, who was now tending to a customer just before me. Overhearing some of the brief conversation, like "I'll take only these coins, not those they are clad & not worth anything". Turns out that the guy in front of me was buying all the loose half dollars that the teller had, and was refusing the clads. He walked out with a hand full of what appeared to be WL's, Bens, and '64's. When it was my turn with the teller, I asked what he had refused & what he bought. She said that they were old looking half dollars, and paid face for them. Now I'm kicking myself for: missing the green lights where possible, spending too much time at McD's getting coffee, etc. if only I had been there 2-minutes sooner. My loss, his BIG gain. Kick me harder next time, somebody.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've yet to SEE a half in the banks here!! If they have them, they're not anywhere in sight!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a bummer...better luck next time.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough pill to swallow - gives credence to the old saying " ignorance is bliss" Your time will come !

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
In this hobby you win some and you lose some. Its all in the timing. I'm sure there have been times that you got there one step before someone else hunting. Only diffrrence I think is that you took them all.
Next time will be yours.
hh

Sent from my SGH-T999N using Tapatalk

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, sorry to hear about such a near miss. I have heard from a few tellers about people cherry picking in that way and it drives me nuts. First off it teaches tellers on the spot how to snipe and it annoys them as well. It also draws a lot of attention from customers who may become interested and adopt this cherry picking model. I ask the tellers who tell me these stories to tell these people to either buy them or not and if they persist and try to look through to make sure they have an account at least. I also buy up dumps on purpose to keep my branches clear and to let them know I buy everything every time. Unfortunately a number of my banks were swamped with dump boxes recently and I had to explain that I did not want to buy any rolls because these were already examined by a collector and I wanted them to have the full $500 so the courier could haul them away. I also bought a dump of $120 and brought it to another branch that had $380 and reunited the two halves of a dump so the courier could take them away for the other branch that hasn't ever produced.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let the tellers know that you will take ALL halves off their hands and not to sell them to anyone else.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picking is such a dumb thing to do. Buy them all, and reward those who save for you. Treats and kindness go a long way.

I have had several roll hunters near me be total turds to tellers.

They expect to get whatever coins they want, they select only certain boxes or box numbers, don't pick up their orders promptly, ask to look through trays to cherry pick, etc. And on top of it, some of them are rude/angry/aggressive about it.

I am always polite, prepared, and prompt. I bring treats as thank yous. I pay good prices if tellers have something to sell.

All they are going to do is destroy their chances at long term relationships and destroy good will with you at the bank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Let the tellers know that you will take ALL halves off their hands and not to sell them to anyone else.

Forgot to mention that I bought the remainder of the halves that he DIDN'T buy, hoping that he may have missed a 40. He didn't. She was very thankful that I took the rest from her tray to get rid of them for her. Maybe another time. Oh well.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

I second what enamel has said. Tellers can either be your worst enemies or best allies. Try to culture the latter. Nice begets nice and karma is real.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's frustrating to hear all that go on! Just remember some scores you've gotten in the past. You'll eventually be in the right place and right time again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread