Eisenhower Dollars Illinois

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in Washington & all of my local banks have said that the small size current dollars are the only type they can order from the cash handling services. When I am doing errands and checking banks I always ask for large dollar coins and only occasionally find a couple.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not likely. hope for teller tray from walk in customers & try the chains like QuikChek, 7/11 etc. grabbed 2 '72 IKEs today & 4 clad halves :BangHead:

OP
OP
C

chicago50

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called Loomis,Garda, & Brinks in Chicago trying to get the names of the banks that request the Eisenhower. No luck. However, I did get three names of local banks that may help me out located in Springfield.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to order Eisenhower dollars and 3 Bank of Americas, 3 PNC Banks, and 1 US BANK have told me no guarantee of getting that specific dollar. Which bank do you use to get these?

Thank you,

Those banks might think that you want the new $1 Eisenhower coin. Hence, the "no guarantee of that specific dollar" response rather than a "we can't get large dollars anymore" response.
modern ike.jpg

You need to tell them that you are looking for the old, "large" Eisenhower dollars.
old ike.jpg

It has been reported that banks can make a special request for $1000 bags of large dollars. Some vault tellers are willing to try. Others won't even consider it.

OP
OP
C

chicago50

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you are probably right. Most people around me don't like to think about going out of their way to help someone else out. Unless there is something in it for them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't order them in Maryland either. A year ago when I asked for half dollars, they told me they had a few "big" dollars. Did I want them? Yes. Just to be nice. They brought out 16. Teller apologized for most of them being "dirty". 6 Eisenhowers, 5 Peace and 5 Morgans., which I still have. Will probably never see that again.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that is a nice find... I keep forgetting to ask for big dollars, but I know they are still out there for the taking..

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to go to individual banks and ask for the "big dollars". They sometimes show up.

ceeemeee

Jul 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to order Eisenhower dollars and 3 Bank of Americas, 3 PNC Banks, and 1 US BANK have told me no guarantee of getting that specific dollar. Which bank do you use to get these?

Thank you,

I was able to order 11 bags from my bank last year. 19 40%, 3 Morgans and One silver round. I moved from that area, but they will have bags for me anytime I return. Before I moved my accounts over to that bank, I made it very clear that if they couldn't order the coins, I would not be a customer.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been asking banks about ordering ikes for years now. One time they said they could but when the box came they were all small dollars. If anybody does manage to get Eisenhower dollars, then there is no need to dump them because some coin dealers pay $1050-70 a bag, or at least they do at my local coin show. Bill O'Rourke from Coin World once claimed that he could order ikes by the bag I think. Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

ceeemeee

Jul 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been asking banks about ordering ikes for years now. One time they said they could but when the box came they were all small dollars. If anybody does manage to get Eisenhower dollars, then there is no need to dump them because some coin dealers pay $1050-70 a bag, or at least they do at my local coin show. Bill O'Rourke from Coin World once claimed that he could order ikes by the bag I think. Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I still had to dump/spend. Had posted CL adds, but no buyers. The bags are very heavy and very dirty. I will update next time I get some bags

OldColdRoll

Aug 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised the results weren't that great. 4 x 90% and 19 x 40% out of 11,000 is about 30-50% of what a normal half dollar box is bringing.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had succes ordering Ikes, but only once. This was last year after the Christmas/New Year holidays. I ordered from a head teller who since moved to the loan department of the bank chain, so he's no longer s valid contact for me.

In my small town, the coins didn't arrive in a bag, but were instead hand-rolled, and there were only 450 of them. No silver. Just last week the head teller at my main bank insisted she had successfully ordered large dollars in the past, but reported they aren't always available. Of course, I placed a $1K order. I'll know this week if their courier has any available.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No luck here either until I contacted an armored car company. It was a local, not one of the big guys. Still lots of security. I was able to buy one $1000 bag and they took me into a small room with cameras and left me there to count the bag to make sure it was $1000. All there, all IKES and no silver. Since I had already committed to buy I did. Got a few IKE proofs and that was it.

When I CRH I always ask if they have any BIG dollars and actually show an IKE. You would be surprised at how many tellers still pull out the quarter sized coins.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't order them in Maryland either. A year ago when I asked for half dollars, they told me they had a few "big" dollars. Did I want them? Yes. Just to be nice. They brought out 16. Teller apologized for most of them being "dirty". 6 Eisenhowers, 5 Peace and 5 Morgans., which I still have. Will probably never see that again.

That reminds me of the time I went into a Korean bank (in SoCA not Korea) and asked about BIG dollars. She understood me (Korean companies only hire Koreans) and pulled out a baggy that had maybe 15 big coins in it. She was happy because now she can fineally get rid of them. I paid $1 each and went back to my car to count my loot. There were a couple IKES but the rest was Peace and Morgan dollars and TWO silver rounds.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had some great contacts but no one has ever even claimed they could get big silver dollars. I think most tellers snipe them so fast its depressing. I have had a few opportunities to get them from tellers and have 12 peace and 2 morgans after buying hundreds of Ikes. Most recently a teller showed me about a dozen peace dollars and a roll of silver quarters. I encouraged her to save them but offered to buy them for $10 a piece. She never texted back lol.
I also saw something we would all dream of. Craigslist seller with a photo of 9 peace and morgan dollars. I don't even check craigslist since the deals are usually too jacked up and I prefer the hunt to just buying stuff. One of the Peace dollars was the high relief 1922 variety, plain as day. The seller had no clue. I spoke to the seller and he said they "went very very fast".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread