Thought MERC's were a gonner!!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just when you think that you might NEVER FIND another Merc in the wild, just this week I found 2 in the same box including 2-Rosie's. The last time I found a Merc was back in August'2016. These two were a 1937-D(good), and a beautiful 1944-P(ext.fine) condition. The 44 is going in my personal folder as a KEEPER. I guess the terminology "they are still out there" applies, just a matter of luck & timing. HH, DozerD

Upvote 0

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! They definitely seem to be getting more scarce in y neck of the woods. Glad to see they are still out there somewhere. Enjoy!!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never say never------just when you get ready to_____________IT HAPPENS :laughing7:

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
one time I was travelling through Vermont and stopped at a small-town bank. They had $300 in CWR dimes... bought them all. They were full of Canadian, but it was worth it because one shotgun roll had three mercs in it, a 17, 18-D, and 37. Sadly, they were all cull. HH

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My luck with dimes is really fickle. A few weeks ago I bought three rolls from a small bank and all three had silver. A few weeks later I was able to get to the branch again and they had only three left. Out of the three rolls all rolls had silver and I got seven silvers and one was a Merc but not nice condition or year (44). I get more Mercs with the metal detector than CRH. I have been hitting dimes and Nickels hard in 17. First $20 I got a 52 dime. Then I went through $250-$300 approx. picking up $10-$20 from each branch and some Nickels. I got two war nickels but skunked out on dimes. I cleaned out the bank that I got the one 52 from and nothing. I follow you since you seem hot on dimes and was meaning to ask if you do better with CWR or MWR? I always hawk the teller tray and have never seen any silver dimes but my eye sight is terrible. I do mostly CWR hoping for more concentrated silver but recently have been doing a mix of MWR and CWR. I already push my dump banks hard so I am not trying to overwhelm them with a new challenge by doing boxes. I dump dimes and nickels $100 at a time while searching for halves and so far no complaints. Glad you are still getting into them. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pics please!

Pics of the Merc's as you asked:

Tommy: I've been trying to get CWR's were possible hoping to hit a collection dump. Results are about the same between the two sources.

Attachments

• image-2827062613.jpg
    image-2827062613.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3310310688.jpg
    image-3310310688.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 71

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
run a small magnet over CWR dime rolls before you leave the bank---if it sticks in more than one spot, give the roll back & advise the teller about Canadian dimes being magnetic. got stuck with $8 in Canada junk dimes from $50 in CWR rolls :BangHead: some customers get off by stiffing banks with short rolls & foreign garbage. my rolls were from city parking meters that ate the coin with no time added (my test of the theory proved true).

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
run a small magnet over CWR dime rolls before you leave the bank---if it sticks in more than one spot, give the roll back & advise the teller about Canadian dimes being magnetic. got stuck with $8 in Canada junk dimes from $50 in CWR rolls :BangHead: some customers get off by stiffing banks with short rolls & foreign garbage. my rolls were from city parking meters that ate the coin with no time added (my test of the theory proved true).

That's a good idea. I was going into Canada anyway, so I was able to get rid of all those pesky steel things quickly. I am not one for Canadian money because they got rid of the penny and all of the currency is made of cheap plastic.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score!
I know what you mean about the steelies but personally, I'd not make the teller's job more difficult, and just buy 'em all.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score dozer! Glad ya got a good box, I know you were down about the lack finds in your boxes previous. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread