Boom!

RambleOn

May 19, 2016
Left Arm Pit of the US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170109_174824.jpg 20170109_142140.jpg So I went to the bank today where I found my first silver half coin roll hunting last week. Had to go sign something they forget when I went in last week. Asked the tellers if they had any old $1 coins, which they didn't. Two tellers said they had some halves though. First teller pulls out a hand full to show me and I asked if she had a 1970 because I was missing one for my collection...didn't want to give away that I was looking for silver. So she goes through them and nope, no silver. The other teller says she has 3 rolls a lady just brought in earlier and proceeded to dump the roll and search for me. All 1976 bicentennial and nothing special with them. Second roll is random but no silver. Third roll dumped in her hand and I get excited. I can see the silver...she grabs the first coin and says that's a dirty one... I see 1964...I'll take it I said. Then she looks at the others. Well I scored a 20 out of 20 on that last roll, all 1964!!! Really starting to like this bank...

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time just buy them all and don't give the teller a chance to see they are silver. Your lucky she didn't dump out the solid roll and keep theme for herself.

OP
OP
R

RambleOn

May 19, 2016
Left Arm Pit of the US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about that as she started dumping them for me. I was going to just buy them all but they just started looking for me since i was the only one in there. They don't really seem interested though. Teller said that a couple tellers sometimes buy any large $1 coins that come in because it is rare that they ever see any, but that's really it. Hell the two tellers said they would keep an eye out for the 1970 I seemed so 'interested' in plus anything else. I'll see how it plays out, but I dont think anyone ever hits that bank. I've been grabbing a roll of everything at the banks since I'm starting the kids' collection as well so that's all they talk to me about.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What mxh5891 said.

Great score, but always buy them all. If you want to give them an excuse, just tell them you collect coins... the truth is always the better route to go.

By doing what you did, instead of just buying them all, you gave the tellers a quick education in what is more valuable and collectible.

OP
OP
R

RambleOn

May 19, 2016
Left Arm Pit of the US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct, I told them I need just a 1970 for the collection but never mention silver anytime I go in the banks. Hopefully they didn't clue in to what I was doing. Maybe the fact that the tellers are in their 20s will help too.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget to show up with a nice dozen of fresh doughnuts on your next visit. It never hurts to grease the wheels. :icon_thumright:

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great score, fellow hunter :icon_salut:! I would suggest not asking to look through the coins right in front of the tellers. There is a good chance they could have caught on... and kept all of that silver for themselves. Next time, I would recommend buying all of them up front. Besides, they often like it when you clear these weird coins out of their drawer.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Job! Agree with the others. Buy and say goodbye! Now,, on to the solid roll of 64s thing....Score! I still have yet to score a solid roll! Good On Ya!

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Next time just buy them all and don't give the teller a chance to see they are silver. Your lucky she didn't dump out the solid roll and keep theme for herself.

Ditto. So,long as you have the cash, ALWAYS buy them all.

OP
OP
R

RambleOn

May 19, 2016
Left Arm Pit of the US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you all, didn't intend to search at the bank but those tellers just dove right in before I had a chance lol. I'll have to cut them off right away next time and just grab them all and skeedaddle on out.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you all, didn't intend to search at the bank but those tellers just dove right in before I had a chance lol. I'll have to cut them off right away next time and just grab them all and skeedaddle on out.

Next time just have a better story ready to tell them. Instead of telling them you are looking for a certain coin, tell them you and your son enjoy searching through half dollars and are putting a set together. That's the story I sometimes use, if they even ask. Sometimes no story is that best one.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually tell the tellers that I sort thru them all, pull out the "best looking ones", then much later on (weeks), go thru the BEST & then pull out "the BEST OF THE BEST". Which I do on the cents & dimes.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct, I told them I need just a 1970 for the collection but never mention silver anytime I go in the banks. Hopefully they didn't clue in to what I was doing. Maybe the fact that the tellers are in their 20s will help too.

I think everyone here can agree the younger the tellers the better! They really don't have a clue about what they are looking at and are happy to get rid of them because it's more work to count and balance at the end of the day... and they are much nicer on the eyes :tongue3:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a story that I teach kids how to use metal detectors and half dollars give a good signal and the kids get to keep them as prizes.I had one teller throw in a walker she was holding back because she knew it was Silver she said it would make a good grand prize then educated me on the dates of Silver coins I had to act surprised.

OP
OP
R

RambleOn

May 19, 2016
Left Arm Pit of the US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for you guys. How is it in your area with finding large $1 coins silver or not? Around here the banks hardly ever have one.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for you guys. How is it in your area with finding large $1 coins silver or not? Around here the banks hardly ever have one.

Very hard to find, I got lucky once and found almost $200.00 not 1 silver though.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hit or miss. I find a few Ikes here and there. I use them as tips for the street performers when my town has their Third Friday nights.
My best dollar score was finding 12 silver dollars in a TD Penny Arcade machine while dumping half dollars.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You can ask your order bank to order a bag for you, I orderd a a few bags last year, only found 1 1992 ASE and stopped ordering them. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread