CoinStar Silver and advice

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And another thing.... this is what $115 in clad looks like!:headbang:
IMG_0826.JPG

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was turning in some rolled coin the other day and they scaled my wrapped coins the only ones at issue were the pennies half were returned to me as too heavy or light because of zinc pennies having variance from soil acting on them.
I would have made her count them....as a customer, you have the right to make a scene to prove your point.:icon_thumright:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A tumbler is an essential tool NOT worth investing in.
Why on Gods green Earth would you spend money, to spend money?
This problem has been viciously overthought by way to many people here on Tnet for years now. Sometimes I throw up in my mouth thinking about the foolishness that people go through in order to cash in their clad.
Coinstars serve only one purpose for members of TreasureNet, and that is to scrounge random rejected coins, foreign, tokens, and the occasional silver prize if you're at the right place at the right time.
The service that coinstar provides is only to be used by old ladies, and people down on their luck who don't have the wherewithal to spend cash or use credit cards, and use loose change to buy basic necessities at a grocery store.
We, as treasure hunters, spend alot of money, and spend alot of time in this hobby....each one of us has spent 3-4 hours on a hunt, and brag to each other that amongst our finds, "also scored $2.95 in clad!"
So, why can't we spend any more time in simply wrapping those coins up in a roll?
Oh my God, it's so easy!!!
First, the banks, if you ask, will give you wrappers for FREE....yes, free.
Secondly, now this is the tough part.... take the wrappers, and put coins in them....
For you guys who play with tumblers, and donate to coinstar, here is a guide...
50 cents into a penny wrapper,...the most common. (These are the red/brown wrappers)
40 nickels... typically blue wrappers, amounts to $2...
50 dimes equals 5 dollars, green wrappers usually....
And my favorite, 40 quarters, a fat 10 bucks worth, look for the orange wrappers.

So, occasionally you will find coins that won't fit snugly, or is bent from a lawn mower, or just too crusty....don't worry about it. Where there's a will, there a way....
Finally, after you have amassed a collection of rolled coins, bring them to your bank. This is when some members get all weird and panic, don't sweat it. Wait your turn at the teller, and when your up, say "I'd like to deposit these"
Your bank account is your ticket to a smooth transaction...and if you have enough money in said account, you could even get cash money, yes, bills!!!....I know right?
So as a footnote to this endeavor, you have also provided some added benefits to society....
You have added money to our economy!.... yes, this money lost and never to be spent again, is now back in circulation! Congrats on that...also, the feds will get back all the crusty zincs, well played.
Oh, and the amusing part for me personally, is the thought of the bottom feeder CRH guys who search smaller denominations....they get a roll of brown quarters or dimes?...cracks me up at the thought of them being all WTF?

So, to quote a smart man here on Tnet, Marley230, who in post #4 stated....
"Just roll them up and take them to the bank cash them in".....great advice!

Talk about "viciously overthought" sheesh, you could literally write the book about that.

You want to waste your time stuffing crusted coins into rolls and trotting them down to the bank, fine - I'd greatly prefer, if its Ok with you, to take my occasional jar of lose change down to Krogers, where I am going anyhow to buy food, pretzels and shaving cream, and make the great sacrifice of 10.8% for the convenience of doing so ,, And can also assure you I am neither a little old lady or down on my luck homeless hobo.

Using your "logic" in the extreme, if you want to find a gold coin, then don't buy a $1,500 metal detector to find one, just spend the $1,500 on a gold coin and be done with it !
The only thing you said that remotely makes any sense is tumblers are a waste, mine has not seen any action for years yet I don't begrudge anyone the perfect right to use one if they see fit.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk about "viciously overthought" sheesh, you could literally write the book about that.

You want to waste your time stuffing crusted coins into rolls and trotting them down to the bank, fine - I'd greatly prefer, if its Ok with you, to take my occasional jar of lose change down to Krogers, where I am going anyhow to buy food, pretzels and shaving cream, and make the great sacrifice of 10.8% for the convenience of doing so ,, And can also assure you I am neither a little old lady or down on my luck homeless hobo.

Using your "logic" in the extreme, if you want to find a gold coin, then don't buy a $1,500 metal detector to find one, just spend the $1,500 on a gold coin and be done with it !
The only thing you said that remotely makes any sense is tumblers are a waste, mine has not seen any action for years yet I don't begrudge anyone the perfect right to use one if they see fit.

Just out of curiosity, I unblocked your post from the "ignore" feature, just to see what you had to say, and as usual, your insight varies from condescending to illogical. Sorry you didn't get the tongue in cheek vibe of my post.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the guy who calls Old Bugaboo "the voice of reason", I'll take ignore as a compliment indeed.

ramble.png

OP
OP
pepperdawg

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all - will go pickup a harbor freight cheapo tumbler. Have %20 off coupon. so that should bring down to ~35 bucks or so.

The real question was how to clean (lots) coins to pass a machine (coinstar or not) without tumbling....again thanks for all the great advice/stories/points of view!!!

HH
-C

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's one thing to speak of the "convenience" of CoinStar, but there's also a lot to be said for being thrifty now and then. The OP had a sizeable amount of change that was rejected - how much he didn't say. Well, there's a simple answer to this, but in the form of a decision that the OP would have to make. Yes, the OP could simply wrap the rejected coins and try to pawn them off on his local bank. I'm sure they'd be watching for him to bring in rolls in the future! :tongue3: However, that is the MOST thrifty way to go about it. Then again, there are other coins that could really stand to be cleaned. So basically, if he wants to spend the money on a tumbler, so be it - he has a tool he can also use for other tumbling jobs if he chooses.

...Sorry, I stopped reading for a while when Xraywolf and BWD were going back and forth. I won't waste my time with bickering.

Finally, I haven't had that issue come up yet - there are no CoinStar machines within 75 miles of us, and none of the banks here take wrapped coins!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stand behind everything I wrote while I was drinking heavily.:laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Coinstars around here have at least a couple of dozen gift card options at 100% return. If you shop at those sponsored businesses, it's a no-brainer for me. Home Depot, Lowe's, Starbucks, Southwest Airlines, Sears, the list goes on. Many of the coins I find will not go through a Coinstar without cleaning to some extent. As long as they're not crusty, I'll run them through......sometimes several times if they get rejected. The ones that they simply won't accept, go into my pocket and get spent. As long as they look presentable, businesses will take them. Some other machines will too, such as parking meters, drink and snack machines, etc. Now that I have a bit of arthritis, rolling coins isn't all that easy anymore. The machines are much easier and faster! :icon_thumright:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
*hehe* All those places you mentioned? The ONLY one we have around here is a very small Sears center - and even that is 70 miles away! :tongue3:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually when I get a bunch of "gummy" type of coins from a reject group, I just soak them in a Rx bottle of DAWN liquid soap (3-4 squirts) with hot water, shake periodically over 1-2 days, then hot rinse & wipe dry. It usually takes most of the gunk off the coins. The coins can be all mixed together. Just my method I use & spend after that.

Scrapple

Mar 2, 2008
Delmarva
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use watered-down Brasso. Works a treat on clad pennies. Never used it on others; never needed to.

Scrapple

Mar 2, 2008
Delmarva
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wanting to get a certain thing through Amazon, so I take the Amazon Gift Card option at Coinstar & get the full amount, and it is DEDICATED to the thing I want at Amazon -- and I'll get the whole thing from clad and "loose change". My credit union has a coin-counter, but if there's $19 sitting around from that, it's going to get spent, ("oh, crikey, we need milk... ok, well, just go and take it out of this" etc.) Oh, yeah, 6 silver Rosies since Dec 19, 2016 from the Coinstar rejects, plus about $9+ clad and several foreign coins - Canada, Netherlands, Mexico, UK, Panama, etc.

Plus a lovely little cedar box left at the Coinstar, put out by Lane Furniture. In the 1950's & early 60's Lane, (who also made Hope Chests), gave out these approx. 6" x 12" cedar boxes to girls graduating high school around here. So I figure this one was probably stolen from the top of granny's dresser by a miscreant grandchild, contents dumped into the Coinstar, and treasured box abandoned by said ungrateful losers with no sense of history and no family loyalty. (Pure conjecture on my part, but not unreasonable.)

I've become a regular Coinstar visitor.

Scrapple

Mar 2, 2008
Delmarva
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't happening at all. I always counted them out before I took my coins into TD Bank, I Always knew what I had, and I was 5 times out of 6 short-changed. And I told them about it every time. The guy might have been homeless, but he was right about "Penny Arcade". Just as glad they did away with it & accept rolled coins.

Scrapple

Mar 2, 2008
Delmarva
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I am doing, getting Amazon gift cards, as I am saving-up for something that I want to buy at Amazon. Used to take coins to my credit union, but starting the 1st of this year, my 'project' is to run them through Coinstar for Amazon gift cards. Have just over $66 at the moment. Slow and steady. Be a nice kick to be able to say, "yeah, I bought it with pocket change and coins I just found..."

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Woohoo scored thirty cents from the coin star in Salida co today.
Didn't get anything good but it was rush grabbing the change out and out the door I was saying "finders keepers!" Hehe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread