Upvote 0

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Northern Michigan/Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger, Garrett Waist treasure bag
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be watching the answers here because I have also started CRH all levels of coins, but when I got a box of pennies to pull wheats and coppers, I tried to look at all the other pennies for DD's but the information out there is HUGE and confused me on pennies.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There is a plethora of information available on error coins. Where to start? I think that one of the best places to start is the two volume Whitman Cherrypickers Guide. These two books concentrate primarily on die varieties such as doubled dies and repunched mint marks. There are other guides to errors out there, but my stroke addled brain refuses to remember where I put them.

Time for coffee.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are quite a few rarities in the Lincoln cent series. The latest I read about was the report of a small date 1982 copper cent. All the small date cents were suppose to be copper plated zinc. When the mint was striking the 1982 cents, they switched from copper to copper plated zinc, but they ended up having issues with the older dies, so they made new ones with a slightly different font type. If you do a google search for 1982 small date copper cent you should be able to find the article. I would post a link but was not sure if it would be allowed.

Another cool find that went for I think $100k was a 1969-S doubled die cent.

There are a couple of different ways to get doubling. The most valuable way is if the die used to mint the cents is doubled, like in the 1955 and 1969 cents, plus others too. Then every cent made with that die is doubled. Machine doubling is when the coin is not ejected and is stamped twice and not worth a whole lot. Some scammers years ago would try to sell the machine double coins as doubled die coins.

In sorting copper from zinc cents, be on the lookout for cents that are 1983 and newer, but possibly minted using the older copper blanks. I have seen some pictures online of some of those errors. Apparently some older blanks were run through the process and got out in the wild.

Just keep an eye out for any cent that does not look right and do some research on it, or post pics here and the rest of us can tell you what we know.

Good Luck

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what to look for :dontknow:???_________make a list of Key Date & MM wheats. planchet clips, grease strikes, die clashes, lamination peeling on Zincolns & coppers, especially wheats, die cracks, die chips, off center, rim CUDS, Wide & Close AM's and on and on. spend a few hours on error-ref.com to learn about what the Mint CAN'T do right!!. have a coin of same year & MM to compare your suspect to as a guide to "error or post Mint damage?". there are a vast number of error coin websites. chances of finding the DDO & DDR errors listed in Redbook are slim___________, but not impossible :dontknow:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a website dedicated just to cents - LincolnCentResource.com
They have an awesome amount of info there.

Two other sites with lots of great info are pennysorter.com and doubleddie.com/ (the last link is Wexler's site)

Not sure, but I think one of those sites (if not all) has a forum where you can search for unlisted errors, if you think you've found something new.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check the '09 Lincoln on the log reading for the extra finger (10 varieties of that one). blank planchets with and without rim also worth a few hundred cents. as a tease___________listed this for $20 on Friday-----last bid was $39 with 6 days left. CENTS or PENNIES---whatever---there's money in those rolls IMG_4567.JPG IMG_4568.JPG :laughing7: now go wash yer hands

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only find the obvious things like big cuds or laminations, clips and blanks because I try to do a lot of volume. But if you have the desire to look for every little thing check out "Ken Potter's variety vault".

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machine doubling isn't cause by the coin being struck twice. It's caused by one of the dies being ever so lightly loose an the die either slides or has a little shift at striking. These generally have no added value but people mistake them them for true doubling.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also Lincoln cent resource is still there, but now everyone is at the Lincoln cent forum. The old site is just for viewing.

ILikeMoney

Dec 21, 2014
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started by purchasing ken potters book... strike it rich with pocket change or something like like. Studied the book and made up a cheat sheet for each denomination.
In the last 8 years I've found multiple error coins from repunched mm to clipped planchets and everything in between. My best finds are (3) 1999 wide am and my most recent find was a 1984 ddo-1.

Happy hunting!!

OP
OP
E

Edenwildfood

Greenie
Jan 17, 2017
WISCONSIN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First 100 dollars

41 Wheats. Mainly 40s 50s, one 57 AU and an 1920 no mint mark fairly worn.
20+ Canadian pennies Inc a 1967 centennial and a 1941
Lincoln penny stamped with jfk stamp
Bunch of Au or ms 1960s and 70s
1 1972 misaligned die error

Copper 24%

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to be critical, but make sure you know how to grade before giving coins au and ms grades. Another thing to help is if the coin has no mint mark it is from the Philadelphia mint. Just use a p for the mint mark.

OP
OP
E

Edenwildfood

Greenie
Jan 17, 2017
WISCONSIN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to be critical, but make sure you know how to grade before giving coins au and ms grades. Another thing to help is if the coin has no mint mark it is from the Philadelphia mint. Just use a p for the mint mark.

I'm following the official American numanistic association grading standards for United States coins guide. I purchased recently. I know coins fairly well but mostly all my experience is with uk and ancient coins. As I'm British.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread