1981-D Nickel with Mint Mark Error?

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Northern Michigan/Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger, Garrett Waist treasure bag
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I got some coins from the bank. They only had a few halves which I got and they were all marked up with black marker, so I pitched them in the return bucket. I got quarters, dimes, nickels and some pennies.
I didn't find anything on any of the other coins but I found this nickel that kind of stood out to me real quick.
The coins itself is in fairly good condition. Not too many scratches but what stood out to me is that the Mint Mark "D" is completely filled in, kind of like a blob. I took some photos and used magnifiers to get as close as I could to show.
The reverse didn't really have anything different on it, but did show 3 stairs. My fiance said to look for 5 good stairs.
Can anyone tell me if this is an error coin?
I couldn't really find too much information on the internet about this.
Help me out oh honorable full of a wealth of information fellow hunters.
Respectably, MG
1981 D Nickel Mint error (3).JPG 1981 D Nickel Mint error (2).JPG 1981 D Nickel Mint error (1).JPG

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found hundreds of coins with mint marks like that. Not only with nickels, but dimes and cents also.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Filled mint mark due to the center post being broke off on the die.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
So is this a coin to save or is it just another Nickel?

just another Nickel

You'll find this a lot, especially on nickels. As it only has to do with the mint mark, and as the mint mark is still legible, I suppose they didn't worry too much about it. So there will be more coming your way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread