Roll Call Thread (Jan 2017 Edition)

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Well, it's been a number of years since we have done a Roll Call Thread. I thought it would be kind of fun to see how many people are still CRH. The hay day was in 2011 and 2012, but let's see who is still doing this great hobby.

I'll start with how long I have been CRH, what denomination, and the location where I CRH.

I started collecting coins in the 70's, but didn't really get into CRH until 2010. I generally do boxes of half dollars and am from the great state and frozen tundra of Minnesota.

List how long you have been CRH, the denomination, and the state/region.

This should be a lot of fun.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched rolls of cents back in the early 70s. For some reason, i collected all the 1974s i could find. Don't ask me why. I was only 13 at the time and was probably trying to corner the 1974 cent market. Fast forward to 2006. I was part of the metal detecting forum on Tnet and saw the CRHing forum. Bought my 1st box of halves which my wife and i searched together and found 12-40%ers. That post is still there way back in the archives. Made some nice finds over the last 10 plus years of steady searching. My best half dollar box had 600 silver halves in it(596 were 90%ers). That was back around 2009. Also found a genuine example of the 1955 Class 1 doubled die cent, although damaged. Only search the occasional half dollar box now, spend most of my dime going thru cents thru quarters. Still making some nice finds but not the monster finds of a few years back.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/138061-super-dream-box-brinks.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-found-king-wheat-errors-1955-double-die.html

Last edited:

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joined Tnet in 2008. Discovered CRHing shortly after. Still at it but not as heavily as in the past. My CRHing has paid for trips to Thailand, Kenya, Brazil and countless other trips in the states.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started back in 2011. I do $1000 in halves every week. I used to search $100 in pennies every week when I could sell the copper ones for two cents a piece. That ship has sailed. My silver mining operation is in the western end of the Bluegrass State.:cat:

CoinRoller

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2016
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Located in Southern Cal, I started coin rolling in 2015 after spending the previous four years metal detecting (and collecting comic books before that). Best box of halves had five rolls I'm still holding onto for a future on-camera as well as 49 silver halves (38 of which were 90%er's. I'd paste my YouTube link but don't want to commit a breach of etiquette). Good thing about living here: Lots of banks. Bad thing: Lots of competition; little in the way of the occasional rarity found on the east coast given its history). Have been pleasantly surprised at the breath and scope of what can be found in rolls and have been keeping a collection of the older rolling papers, too :)

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been just over 4 years now coin roll hunting and collecting coin. I'll search any denomination but like halves the best. Work allows me to be out of the office a bit so I hit up a lot of local banks in and around the Tacoma, Wa area. Lots of competition here.

Best scores have been my solid roll finds. 2 wheat rolls, 4 dimes, 4 quarters, and about 17 in halves (lost count :tongue3:) boxes are ok, order 1 a week. Best ever was when I started 4 years ago. 51 in a box.... Mind blown on some of the boxes posted on this thread

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I started coin roll hunting in 2008, mostly nickels. I did do it as a kid in the mid 1970's, pennies and nickles, working on a Whitman album. I always remember checking my change for old finds and would toss them in a jar. I have also rehabbed about 30 old houses in Metro Detroit, occasionally finding old coins doing demo. I once found 4 Indians and 10 wheats in a cold air return. (all wheats were pre-1920).
I discovered TN Forum when I came across a 1939 nickle and searched the internet to find it's value. (Joined in 2009) The first box of halves we bought had 2 Walking Liberties. Tanner was a cub scout at the time, and coin collecting was part of one the achievements. I kept him interested by having "Wheat Wars" with him to see who could find the most wheats in a box.
My job takes me around Michigan and Ohio. giving me a chance to visit non local banks. Nice perk from the job.
We usually search a box of halves a week, and lots of cents, and what ever customer rolled halves we find.
Some of our best finds were: Solid roll of Indians (actually had 53), Peaces dollar a teller handed me, nice offset error cent. solid roll of dimes and quarters with SILVER written on the side. We are still amazed as to what you can find in rolls.
Tanner helps occasionally now.
Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Attachments

• Indian heads 001.JPG
    Indian heads 001.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Indian heads 010.JPG
    Indian heads 010.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_1168.JPG
    100_1168.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 101_0104.JPG
    101_0104.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 82
  • wheat war 42.JPG
    wheat war 42.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_8576.JPG
    100_8576.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been adding on to my dads collection. He was in WWII and collected coins from areas he traveled to. I started about two years ago when I got into metal detecting. I hunt mostly halves but mix it up here and there. I have CRH over 600 -40% halves and about 50- 90%ers. I'm from upstate NY.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched rolls of cents back in the early 70s. For some reason, i collected all the 1974s i could find. Don't ask me why. I was only 13 at the time and was probably trying to corner the 1974 cent market. Fast forward to 2006. I was part of the metal detecting forum on Tnet and saw the CRHing forum. Bought my 1st box of halves which my wife and i searched together and found 12-40%ers. That post is still there way back in the archives. Made some nice finds over the last 10 plus years of steady searching. My best half dollar box had 600 silver halves in it(596 were 90%ers). That was back around 2009. Also found a genuine example of the 1955 Class 1 doubled die cent, although damaged. Only search the occasional half dollar box now, spend most of my dime going thru cents thru quarters. Still making some nice finds but not the monster finds of a few years back.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/138061-super-dream-box-brinks.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-found-king-wheat-errors-1955-double-die.html

Mountainman, Thanks for the links. This was before my time. That Brinks box was amazing. It reminded me of my CRHing. I had the exact same style box and color of rolls. I remember most brinks boxes from other posts had rolls with Black highlights, not brown. I too went on a long skunk streak before my big 40% find. I think I went on a streak of 25 or so skunks shortly before the big one. Good memories.

OO

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been collecting coins since I was 6 years old. My father brought home the blue Whitman coin folders for me and my brother to fill. That was in 1961. I still have them. I started ordering boxes of halves in December, 2012. The following is the total gone through - $542,436.50. That includes MRW and CWR. A few years later one of my banks offered to order my dimes, nickels and cents. It continues. When I finish this reply, I'm off to start my bank run. One more story. When I was a teenager, I worked at the local McDonalds. Minimum wage was $1.10. My first paycheck was $18.00. Every time I worked as a cashier, I was looking at the coins and paper money. Especially during the summer. I believe the "kids" were taking dads collection to go on vacation. I was finding silver, silver certificates, U S notes, etc. I still have it all. Everybody - good luck hunting.

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dabbled in CRHing off and on, but never found much. I started seriously searching in September of 2016. I do regret all that I may have missed out on. I did just have my best box...and I'll be posting today.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still CRH, but it's getting tougher getting banks to play with me.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started 11 years ago. I actually thought I invented it.

My very first post on t-net was about CRH. Here is a link to my first post. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/32446-newbie-here-sorry.html I had never heard of t-net or CRHing. Now I am an old fogy here with over 3500 posts. Most of those people posting back then are long gone.

I do lurk here but rarely post because I tapered off CRHing several years ago when my daughter entered college. I did not want to spend my silver finds on her education. (I started buying at yardsales, cell phone recycling and selling on ebay to pay for her 6 years of college) I do not remember the quantities but probably around $600 face in 40% and $100 90% halves. Also +/- 20 pieces of old silver dollars and 4 one ounce silver rounds.

At the time I was in SoCA with hundreds of banks to hit up. I am now retired in very NoCA We have three banks and two credit unions. If I started again I would get kicked out pretty soon.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Been CRH'ing for 35+ years. Late 70's for me. I used to search all denominations, but I can't see dates on Cents and Nickels anymore. So now I only search dimes, halves and Ikes (always ask for "big dollars" - you never know what a teller will hand over). Been actively hunting for the entire 35+ years, I've just taken a hiatus from TNet. I live and hunt on the First Coast.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started in early 2013 and stopped at the end of 2014. I just popped back in within the last couple weeks and decided to start ordering a couple boxes here and there. I searched mostly halves, but would grab boxes of dimes and quarters here and there as well. At the height of my hunting I was averaging 20 or so boxes a week of halves and a few boxes of other denominations. Every so often I would throw in a 40 box week to keep it interesting. I'm in the northeast part of the US. There's a fair amount of competition around here, but plenty of banks to buy from and there are a few real gem quality dump banks if you know where to look (I could easily dump $10 - $20 k in halves a week spread across 5 or so branches of a bank I don't have an account at with no fees).

I never made any truly spectacular finds, but quite a few good ones: A couple of barber halves, a Delaware Centennairy Commemorative half, a couple washington halves, countles 1970 halves and bicentennial silver halves, plus rolls and rolls of walkers and franklins. Never got a true dream box, but had a couple that were close.

I plan to start a few weekly orders of halves again, but my current job doesn't leave me enough free time to search heavy volume like I used to.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
started in 2009-2010. CRH has changed my life as ive made tens off thousands of this great hobby. Finds of plummeted but the thrill is still there. Search all denominations with emphasis on halves, dimes, and pennies
northeast

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Been CRH'ing for 35+ years. Late 70's for me. I used to search all denominations, but I can't see dates on Cents and Nickels anymore. So now I only search dimes, halves and Ikes (always ask for "big dollars" - you never know what a teller will hand over). Been actively hunting for the entire 35+ years, I've just taken a hiatus from TNet. I live and hunt on the First Coast.

Can I ask what average number of silver halves per box in the 1990's were? I bet it was awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions