Roll Call Thread (Jan 2017 Edition)

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Well, it's been a number of years since we have done a Roll Call Thread. I thought it would be kind of fun to see how many people are still CRH. The hay day was in 2011 and 2012, but let's see who is still doing this great hobby.

I'll start with how long I have been CRH, what denomination, and the location where I CRH.

I started collecting coins in the 70's, but didn't really get into CRH until 2010. I generally do boxes of half dollars and am from the great state and frozen tundra of Minnesota.

List how long you have been CRH, the denomination, and the state/region.

This should be a lot of fun.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been coin collecting since the early 60's. My father brought home a penny and nickel Whitman folder, which I still have. I would always look through change back in the day. I remember my father and I were at a store when he noticed the quarters were different. This was about 1965-66. He was dropping them on the counter and could hear the different sound btwn silver and clad. Go forward to 1970. I began working at the local McDonalds. after a few weeks, I started working the counter. I would always look to see what the change and currency looked like. Once on Easter Sunday, I had to call my parents to bring me $5 because I found a full roll of silver dimes. I would also find Silver Certificates and U S Notes. Back in those days minimum wage was $1.10 an hour. After four years I was making $1.25 an hour. A couple of years later I was on the local police department. I would always do my bank checks. I got along with the tellers. If anything was turned in, they would ask if I wanted it. The only time I had to turn something down was when a teller called me at home and asked if I wanted a $500.00 bill that had been turned in. That was a lot of money then. I was buying bags of cents looking for Wheaties. Once I bought a bag. Took it home and upon opening it, it was different. It wasn't a $50 bag of cents, it was a $500 bag of quarters. The next I went back to turn it in. While standing in line the tellers were a saying they didn't want the bag back. I told them, "Yes you do." Upon going up to the counter I showed them what was in the bag. They just about fell over. They thanked me and gave me a bag of cents. I continued searching cents, nickels and halves. Go forward to 2010. I started ordering boxes of cents, nickels, dimes and halves. I still get 8 boxes of cents, 2 boxes of nickels, 4 boxes of dimes and 5 boxes of halves a week. I also buy CWRs's. Just a couple of weeks ago in a CWR of dimes was an 1865 three cent coin.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Two things:

A) People who do not still CRH are not likely to go on this forum anymore, so the survey data will be skewed.

B) Coin roll hunting is a terrible hobby and a waste of time. I think that every other hunter who reads this should quit, and this forum should be shut down. All you folks are just wasting your time. Stop buying half dollars.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really a roll hunter as much as a coin collector. I started saving change about 30 years ago. I had a wife and two small girls and money was tight. my wife agreed that if I saved my change I could use it to buy toys, fishing poles, guns, tools. I now own probably $2000 of fishing equipment, $8000 of fire arms, 3 $600 RC cars, and a shop full of tools. All payed for from collected change. My 5 gallon water bottle holds about $2000 when full. I enjoy rolling the coins myself and going through the coins. I keep all the old or odd ones. My grang kids are old enough now that they enjoy going through Papaws old coins.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Two things:

A) People who do not still CRH are not likely to go on this forum anymore, so the survey data will be skewed.

B) Coin roll hunting is a terrible hobby and a waste of time. I think that every other hunter who reads this should quit, and this forum should be shut down. All you folks are just wasting your time. Stop buying half dollars.
So, how do you feel about frisbee golf?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been coin collecting since the early 60's. My father brought home a penny and nickel Whitman folder, which I still have. I would always look through change back in the day. I remember my father and I were at a store when he noticed the quarters were different. This was about 1965-66. He was dropping them on the counter and could hear the different sound btwn silver and clad. Go forward to 1970. I began working at the local McDonalds. after a few weeks, I started working the counter. I would always look to see what the change and currency looked like. Once on Easter Sunday, I had to call my parents to bring me $5 because I found a full roll of silver dimes. I would also find Silver Certificates and U S Notes. Back in those days minimum wage was $1.10 an hour. After four years I was making $1.25 an hour. A couple of years later I was on the local police department. I would always do my bank checks. I got along with the tellers. If anything was turned in, they would ask if I wanted it. The only time I had to turn something down was when a teller called me at home and asked if I wanted a $500.00 bill that had been turned in. That was a lot of money then. I was buying bags of cents looking for Wheaties. Once I bought a bag. Took it home and upon opening it, it was different. It wasn't a $50 bag of cents, it was a $500 bag of quarters. The next I went back to turn it in. While standing in line the tellers were a saying they didn't want the bag back. I told them, "Yes you do." Upon going up to the counter I showed them what was in the bag. They just about fell over. They thanked me and gave me a bag of cents. I continued searching cents, nickels and halves. Go forward to 2010. I started ordering boxes of cents, nickels, dimes and halves. I still get 8 boxes of cents, 2 boxes of nickels, 4 boxes of dimes and 5 boxes of halves a week. I also buy CWRs's. Just a couple of weeks ago in a CWR of dimes was an 1865 three cent coin.
I bet those tellers really partied it up with the extra $450 in quarters that you nicely returned, but you did the right thing.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done both, and they're just both nerdy hobbies. I'll stick with metal detecting ha ha!

Surprised to hear you say that. Frisbee gulf I can understand, but CRHing a nerdy hobby? I don't think so. Numismatics is more intellectual and refined; I know because I practice both. Many professionals and collectors scoff at coin roll hunting because of it's measly pickings and low-class appeal. This is why I am abandoning the hobby.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Surprised to hear you say that. Frisbee gulf I can understand, but CRHing a nerdy hobby? I don't think so. Numismatics is more intellectual and refined; I know because I practice both. Many professionals and collectors scoff at coin roll hunting because of it's measly pickings and low-class appeal. This is why I am abandoning the hobby.
That was just more sarcasm on my part. My opinion is that CRH'ing is not numismatic as far as I'm concerned because for many it's simply about hoarding a commodity. I've been part of both num/CRH/dirtfishing since the mid 1970's. My friends/co-workers have frequently called me a nerd for my involvement in all three hobbies.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Being RETIRED, I find CRH a good pastime hobby to do to pass the time away. It allows me some private time while the wife is involved in her sewing & internet browsing. I can also be doing CRH while watching TV. It's not an expensive hobby, only the cost of gas in the car since all rejects are returned back into the system, and ALL KEEPERS are at face value. I've been a coin collector since the mid-60's, just wish I had started STACKING back then. I love this hobby, maybe even to the point of being obsessed with it. HH, DozerD

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Being RETIRED, I find CRH a good pastime hobby to do to pass the time away. It allows me some private time while the wife is involved in her sewing & internet browsing. I can also be doing CRH while watching TV. It's not an expensive hobby, only the cost of gas in the car since all rejects are returned back into the system, and ALL KEEPERS are at face value. I've been a coin collector since the mid-60's, just wish I had started STACKING back then. I love this hobby, maybe even to the point of being obsessed with it. HH, DozerD
I feel the same way. My wife has said that I turned a hobby into an obsession. I still love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread