I FOUND MY NEW DUMP BANK! =(

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Northern Michigan/Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger, Garrett Waist treasure bag
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was so upset today. I decided to go to another branch of my bank today to return some coins that I had been searching. I only had around $150.00 to return in various type coins. Part way through counting the machine stopped and said to call for assistance.
When the lady came over she told me that a couple bags were full and she would have to change them.
Right away I said that I wanted to buy any bags inside that were full. She said, "Okay, I will have to go check but I think we do"
Started changing bags and did the pennies first. Through the clear bags I could see wheaties right on the top of the penny bag.
Next bag was quarters, then nickels and then she pulled the halves out and said that was full too.
As she dumped the tray into the bag, I could see a 90% half came out last and landed on top. I think I saw a 40% coin too but not sure.
I told her again that I wanted all the bags as she sealed them.
She came back out with the bank manager whom informed me that they only send their bags to Loomis who verify the coin amounts and then send them back rolled. I told her that I was a account holder there and that I would give them the money right there and then to buy the bags. She said that was not possible since their policy was not to sell the full bags, but send them to Loomis.
I told her that other nearby banks did it, and that I asked at another one of my branches before and they said they would.
She stood her ground and would not let me buy the bags. I even asked if I could buy the handful of coins on top, and she said that they could not unseal them once they were sealed. She said she would sell or order me as many coins as I wanted to buy but they couldn't sell the bags.
I was upset when I left and decided right there and then that I would order as many boxes of coins each week that I was allowed, and they would all be dumped there.
What are they going to do? If they deny me, an account holder, I will let her supervisor know that I am moving all of my money and my IRA to another bank and trust me...they do not want this. I will also be talking to someone over her soon about this policy and why she would not let me do it.
So, my fellow hunters....there is a 90% half on the way to Loomis today, and we even watched them drive into the bank as we were pulling out.....
Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn so close. Maybe you could call the corporate office and talk with someone higher up. My bank started charging me $10 extra a bag. Some where worth it, some not. Good luck.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's no big deal. They don't have to sell the bags. If others do that's great! Now a question. Where do you dump the coins after you buy the bags now? If it's the same banks you pick up from that's not good. That will end quickly once they figure out how much money they're losing on bags. You never dump where you pick up.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it always hurts a little more when you've seen those wheats and silvers , then you're told you can't buy them - Maybe you could ask the higher ups if they could order some bags for you from Loomis - they could have them on the truck for you when they come for their regular pick up schedule. Good Luck ! (never give up)

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that question for me enamel7? I belong to four different banks. I have one main one and the others are just for convience. I keep just enough money in there to not get a monthly fee.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like enamel said its not a big deal, or at least don't make it one. Two days ago I saw a 40% half in a teller tray and the teller wouldn't sell me it... Not sealed up, out in the open. She sold me the other $4 but would not let it go... But I did. It's part of the hobby.

Some on here thinks this is blasphemy, others shake it off.

I believe a bank with a coin counting machine is worth it's weight in gold. I would recommend doing a 180 and picking up donuts on Monday and apologizing (if you caused a stink). In the long run you'll probably end up getting bags eventually, but going above tellers/managers will only get you cut off.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that question for me enamel7? I belong to four different banks. I have one main one and the others are just for convience. I keep just enough money in there to not get a monthly fee.

No he was asking the original poster.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was upset when I left and decided right there and then that I would order as many boxes of coins each week that I was allowed, and they would all be dumped there.
What are they going to do? If they deny me, an account holder, I will let her supervisor know that I am moving all of my money and my IRA to another bank and trust me...they do not want this. I will also be talking to someone over her soon about this policy and why she would not let me do it.

Wow. So you got denied on your request (well within their rights as a bank) and now you're going to act immature over this? You lost. It happens. I have been in the same boat...saw silver in the half bag, offered to buy it and was denied. You know what I did? I thanked them anyway and moved on. Continuing this crusade over a couple halves and some Wheaties is only going to hurt you in the end.

Last edited:

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not turn this into a dump bank. If they will order you whatever you would like, use them as a pickup bank. You already have the manager's approval. If perhaps over time you should develop a good relationship, maybe you could eventually buy a bag, or at least cherry pick an unsealed one. But a good pickup bank is important too. I guess it depends on what you are in need of, a pickup or a dump bank. This one could be either.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to think that we could have a difference of opinion here on a hobbyist forum without resorting to "grow up " . Please keep in mind that the recipient of this snarky comment is new to Coin Roll Hunting !

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, that's nothing, I've gone to junk yards and there have been WWII American army helmets and antiques laying around and I offered to buy a few and they said no, and then they smashed them all into a cube. Some places on the other hand save me stuff and when I come by they say, "hey your the history guy that collects the old stuff, we have a whole bunch for you." then they just give it to me, and I buy them donuts and soda every now and then.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to think that we could have a difference of opinion here on a hobbyist forum without resorting to "grow up " . Please keep in mind that the recipient of this snarky comment is new to Coin Roll Hunting !

Well, I will apologize for that. That said, I think it could be handled a lot better.

OP
OP
MackinawGirl

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium
We did go to the local Loomis site and I may be able to buy the bags directly from them. This might have a happy ending after all. My other bank branch will order me boxes of coins too and I asked them and they will get me bags also.

OP
OP
MackinawGirl

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not immature and acted appropriately there. And your right, I won't start a crusade over this. My other branch of the same bank will order whatever I need.

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was so upset today. I decided to go to another branch of my bank today to return some coins that I had been searching. I only had around $150.00 to return in various type coins. Part way through counting the machine stopped and said to call for assistance.
When the lady came over she told me that a couple bags were full and she would have to change them.
Right away I said that I wanted to buy any bags inside that were full. She said, "Okay, I will have to go check but I think we do"
Started changing bags and did the pennies first. Through the clear bags I could see wheaties right on the top of the penny bag.
Next bag was quarters, then nickels and then she pulled the halves out and said that was full too.
As she dumped the tray into the bag, I could see a 90% half came out last and landed on top. I think I saw a 40% coin too but not sure.
I told her again that I wanted all the bags as she sealed them.
She came back out with the bank manager whom informed me that they only send their bags to Loomis who verify the coin amounts and then send them back rolled. I told her that I was a account holder there and that I would give them the money right there and then to buy the bags. She said that was not possible since their policy was not to sell the full bags, but send them to Loomis.
I told her that other nearby banks did it, and that I asked at another one of my branches before and they said they would.
She stood her ground and would not let me buy the bags. I even asked if I could buy the handful of coins on top, and she said that they could not unseal them once they were sealed. She said she would sell or order me as many coins as I wanted to buy but they couldn't sell the bags.
So, my fellow hunters....there is a 90% half on the way to Loomis today, and we even watched them drive into the bank as we were pulling out.....
Happy Hunting!

Could someone please explain to me what all this is about. I have never heard of this. Thanks

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackinaw, I had the same experience with many of my banks as well. None of my local branches will let me buy bags. I thanked them all and don't make a fuss and they even offered to buy boxes for me (they are too far out of the way for a pick up bank). I had signed on with them after seeing that they make a great dump bank. There was and is a guy who orders halves from them on Friday and stands next to the machine and opens the rolls, looks and drops the clad in! What an $%#@@%&! When I met him I didn't say I CRH and just asked him what he was doing. Now when I have too many loose coins or want to take the stress off my dump banks I lug a few buckets to these branches and fill up some bags.Hes friends with the management so they only put up with this from him. They still hem and haw when I dump $500 on them. You need banks on both sides. It is frustrating to see a good lead slip away but that's part of the hobby. I'd ask in another year and see what they say. Policies do change, managers do change etc

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polite, courteous, and gracious is the only approach that will ever get the desired result (assuming the desired result is the ability to continue the hobby).

Always ask politely if you can buy the filled bags.

If the answer is "No, they have to be sent out because the count is not guaranteed" (or some flavor of that response), reply "I realize the count might be off, I don't care and don't even count them. I just look through them, spend what I can, and take the rest to my credit union if I can't spend them all".

If the answer is still no, say "OK, Thanks. I'm in here a lot, so please let me know if the policy changes. I'd love to get even just a bag or two every now or then."

Tellers and/or managers notice when you are gracious when being denied. It makes them want to be helpful when they can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread