Milwaukee
Upvote 0

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use the whittman, but i never herd of the other so im not sure whats really better :-\

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
They're both fine. Just depends what you like. I prefer sturdy tubes, myself.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have had bad luck with the H.E. Harris ones I recently purchased for half dollars. I expected them to be the better of the two brands Shinders (local hobby shop) since I had heard of them before. The tubes were the same price, but when I went to use them, the Harris ones I got were/are terrible. The screw tops don't work well, almost have to just push the top on. And many of the rolls won't let the bottom coin reach the bottom without force, strong force (enough to crack the tube). Am actually considering writing the company...the ones I got are that bad in quality.

I was quite happy with the other brand though, Collector Safe. Easy screw on top with more threads and a proper fit.

Both types are $19.99 + tax per 100 at Shinders. Shinders also allowed me to mix match all denominations of rolls for the per 100 discount. So I bought just what I wanted for dollars (both Eisenhower and SBA/Sac size), half dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies.

Although I also got some smaller denom Harris tubes, I have really used them enough to comment.

GMan

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Did you get the correct size? Harris tubes shouldn't have problems like that. They are known for getting coins stuck more than other tubes, but nothing that bad! And yes, write to the company---let those stodgy ol' numismatisssts know that you're none too pleased with their shoddy tubes.

OP
OP
PanManStan

PanManStan

Mar 5, 2007
Milwaukee
Thanks. I had some before that were pretty much made outta the same stuff a soda bottle is made of. Very easily compressed. Thats why I figured I'd ask y'all. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to post a pic of my latest find (1900o Morgan).

Stan

soldierman

May 18, 2006
I usually buy them used a fleamarket for twenty to twenty five cents each. I have on two occasions bought one that had a coin stuck in them. One was a war nickle and the other was a 64 half. I like the coinsafe brand better other than they seem to have a little to much length. They will hold more than one roll worth of coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread