Quarter $.25 $1000 bag

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck dozer! I wish I could still buy bags...

Dec 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when old coins are found like that do you sale them? Or keep them? How do you know what is worth what besides being old? I know 1964 and back are partially silver. But what does that make them worth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when old coins are found like that do you sale them? Or keep them? How do you know what is worth what besides being old? I know 1964 and back are partially silver. But what does that make them worth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the coin roll hunting sticky at the top. This will answer most of your questions.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck Dozer!! HH, Maverick.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my guess is 2 silvers! maybe even a canadian silver.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bag results: as expected, Nada, Zilch, Zero, Zip, SKUNKOLA. Like everyone knows, quarters are the hardest to find silver coin in the wild. I was even looking for the Extra Leaf Wisconsin issue, zero on that thought also. Just never know, for that date on the bag (when put on the machine was 1/12/17 until 2/2/17). I guess I'm just thinking about my dime Dream Box a few weeks ago that it could happen with quarters, but this time in a bag. This hobby has its UPS & DOWNS, like all you seasoned veterans well know. Keep searching & stacking if you are lucky enough, Dozer D.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think that trying to find Silver in bags of Dimes, Quarters or Half Dollars picked up at a Bank is a waste of time and expense as I believe that the coins that go in the bags are counted by a Coin Counting Machine and most likely all Silver coins are ejected (rejected) and never make it into any bags. The only hope for Silver in bags, is if the bag is old and was brought in by a customer!

Frank

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mostly agree with Frank_________________ BUT, some banks with no counter tell me they dump CWR into bags (local TD bank told me this) to ship out. short of displaying an AR-15 :laughing7::BangHead:, they also refuse to sell bags, but then there are the error coins, so :dontknow::dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some banks have machines that don't reject, they just count. That's how I found my 16D merc!

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Bag results: as expected, Nada, Zilch, Zero, Zip, SKUNKOLA. Like everyone knows, quarters are the hardest to find silver coin in the wild. I was even looking for the Extra Leaf Wisconsin issue, zero on that thought also. Just never know, for that date on the bag (when put on the machine was 1/12/17 until 2/2/17). I guess I'm just thinking about my dime Dream Box a few weeks ago that it could happen with quarters, but this time in a bag. This hobby has its UPS & DOWNS, like all you seasoned veterans well know. Keep searching & stacking if you are lucky enough, Dozer D.

No, not all coin counter reject silver. Back when I was still hunting a couple of years ago, bags was what I would mostly get. I believe my finds in bags were well above average. Best bag was 321 silvers...

On a side note though, bags of quarters are going to circulate through pretty fast. I wouldn't think a bag of quarters would be any different than a box. Bags of halves, though, can take years to fill up naturally and that's really what you're looking for.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...picked up at a Bank is a waste of time and expense as I believe that the coins that go in the bags are counted by a Coin Counting Machine and most likely all Silver coins are ejected

in my experience most banks do not have coin counters. I used to have a professional coin counter when I was real heavy into sorting copper cents from zinc. My dump bank had no problem accepting $50 bags of cents and the even supplied me the bags.

I only had one pickup bank where I could by bags. it would take several months for a 50 cent bag to be full. It was the main branch of my credit union about 10 miles from my branch. One day I asked my branch if the had any halves and they said no but the main branch did. the teller called them and they had a bag about 25% full but would sell to me. She said come back tomorrow to pick up.

What happened was the vault manager drove the bag over to my branch on her way home from work. (I later found out she got in trouble for doing that) It was the best bag I ever got. every handful had silver. there were ladies, bens and JFKs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread