Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian, wheats & IH's are rejected by Scancoin & Magner counters. lots o' wheat in reject tray. hope your bag is from CWR & not a machine. my recent $130 CWR horde had over 450 wheats, a bunch of coppers & few Canadas :dontknow:

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian, wheats & IH's are rejected by Scancoin & Magner counters. lots o' wheat in reject tray. hope your bag is from CWR & not a machine. my recent $130 CWR horde had over 450 wheats, a bunch of coppers & few Canadas :dontknow:

How in the world does a machine differentiate between a wheat and a memorial??

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bag #2 cents:
Finished the second bag of cents, 26 wheaties: as 1929, 39, 43(steel), 40's-9, 50's-14., 15%coppers. I was shocked to find that 43-steely since most machines have magnets, which means this one passed thru 2 machines (one at the bank, the other at coin processor).

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How in the world does a machine differentiate between a wheat and a memorial??

Some Wheats and some CAD can be rejected by the same principle that the Ryedale sorter uses. Other wheats and other CAD cannot be differentiated from US memorials.

Pre-1942 wheats are alloyed with Tin as are some from the late 40's. Those are technically Bronze and can be rejected by coin machines if the machine is specifically programmed to only match "modern" cents.
Other wheats and pre-1982 memorials are alloyed with Zinc and are technically Brass.

Canadian cents have a wide variety of metal compositions. Some mintage years are identical to the pre-1982 US memorials, many are not. If coin machines are specifically programmed to only match modern US cents (brass memorials and copper-cladded zinc), then many Canadians are rejected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread