Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past two competition coin roll hunts that I've done with my brother, I have pulled off victories and brought home all the glory. This time, the stakes are higher than ever before.

That's right, we decided to wager a PEACE DOLLAR on who could score the most and best coins out of two boxes of pennies. This hunt was a blast, thanks for watching!

Here's one of the best finds: a 1935-s wheat penny. Only 38 million minted!

Screenshot (164).png

Upvote 0

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Mxh, I don't think anyone is looking to put anyone down. They are just voicing their opinion which, in all honesty, is more or less the opinion shared by many of the veteran CRHer's (of course not speaking for all, everyone has their own opinion). The veterans that I know of aren't afraid of competition or of newcomers entering the hobby. Just by the look of these forums you can see that many of the old timers happily provide helpful hints and reminders to those asking questions. The point that is being presented is that these aren't just "stories", all it takes is for someone who is impatient to become a little rude on the wrong day to a head teller and make a mess of a good thing for some other CRHer that may use the same bank. The best way to prevent this is what is being suggested, if you want to make a video take the time to explain the caveats of the hobby or at least just hit some important reminders for those that are watching the videos to enter the hobby. The best way I can explain it is to compare it to metal detecting. Its just like, reminding metal detectorists to fill your holes, ask permission, yadda yadda. I'm not against new members metal detecting in the areas I hunt; but, I do get infuriated when we get banned from an area because a newbie can't follow some simple courtesy rules of the hobby. Its not that I can't just find another place to hunt, its that I may have liked that spot for convenience or for past finds etc. and now it is no longer available because someone rips through the place looking for the mounds of gold that he/she thought they would be finding because of a video they saw. Hope that somewhat explains some of the posts that you are seeing.

-TwoYewts[/QUOTE

YUP

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Unfortunately you could not be more wrong because that is exactly what happens. Ive physically seen newbies walk up to a teller take halves, see no silver and hand them back saying I dont want those they are not silver. I understand you get your rocks off by watching these videos but please stop with the idea that it doesn't effect the hobby while in a negative way. There is no denying some good is coming from it, but there is also negatives.
That fact remains that these videos have been around for over 10 years now and CRH has not died. So telling the poor kid he is destroying CRH by posting a video and not telling people every single little nuisance of CRH. He is posting videos for the enjoyment of his viewers. He doesn't need to bore them with...make sure you don't dump at the same place you buy them from.

I understand many people are territorial when it comes to CRH. Just know that people don't watch CRH videos if they are not into coins or CRH already. The average person is not going to just stumble on the video. Goto a bank and demand silver. That just doesn't happen. I am willingoing to bet this forum has created more CRH'ers then YouTube has

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Good explanation TwoYewts. I wanna say that there are a couple channels on YouTube that I believe take it too far. By that, I mean that they post 2-3 "unbelievable half dollar scores" per week and it's just not real. It's so unrealistic that I would even suspect them of faking/planting coins. But to those who have criticized me...do you even watch my videos?? I hunt primarily pennies, nickels and halves. When I hunt halves, I get the same low average as all of you. Nothing special, it's all real, and I show it like it is. Guess what?? PEOPLE STILL WATCH! It's not even about the finds a lot of the time. It's about how you present them. It's about providing good information to those who are interested. It's about being entertaining and putting smiles on people's faces.

If you have criticized me in the past, I would like to put you in one of two groups. You are either a regular half dollar hunter or you are a hunter of the other denominations. If you are a regular half dollar hunter, I encourage you to actually watch my half dollar hunting videos and tell me what you take issue with. I will be releasing a new one this Saturday where I once again get skunked, so I'm interested to see what y'all have to say. If you are not a regular half dollar hunter and still take issue with my videos, can you please give me a specific explanation as to what coin you are most worried about? This would be very helpful to me.

I hunt all denominations so your theory is wrong. I still hold issue with anyone posting videos regardless of what coins your searching. Let me rephrase that, I hold issue with public videos, if you posted videos and just put the link to us, Id watch away. What your not getting is CRH while completely legal, is definitely frowned upon by banks. Its kinda like out of site out of mind. You dont make a big deal about it and youll never have problems. Question: What do you think would happen if the branch manager from your pick up bank saw your videos? Would he not care, would he do nothing? Doubtful!! as Enamel said the only thing worse then posting video is posting uneducated videos

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately you could not be more wrong because that is exactly what happens. Ive physically seen newbies walk up to a teller take halves, see no silver and hand them back saying I dont want those they are not silver. I understand you get your rocks off by watching these videos but please stop with the idea that it doesn't effect the hobby while in a negative way. There is no denying some good is coming from it, but there is also negatives.

What proof do you have that those people got the idea from a YouTube video?

You do realize that YouTube has been around for over 10 years. Just search YouTube and you will see the 1000's of CRH videos. By your statementside you are saying YouTube is killing CRH. But the reality is CRH is the same as its ever been. YouTube has no effect on CRH or your finds. The only thing that's going to kill CRH is when the US decides to go cashless.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
What proof do you have that those people got the idea from a YouTube video?

You do realize that YouTube has been around for over 10 years. Just search YouTube and you will see the 1000's of CRH videos. By your statementside you are saying YouTube is killing CRH. But the reality is CRH is the same as its ever been. YouTube has no effect on CRH or your finds. The only thing that's going to kill CRH is when the US decides to go cashless.

Once again more misinformation. CRH is not the same as its been in the last ten year. Its completely different across the board. Ask anyone who has been hunting for any length of time, finds are way down and the amount of blowback from banks is exponentially worse in all facets. Pick up banks are harder to solidify and keep. Finds are being pulled by knowledgeable tellers, and an influx of newbie hunters. Considering you do not feel there has been a change Im not going to waste my time explaining how these tellers and newbies are not learning about silver/CRH from tera cards or moss on trees.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again more misinformation. CRH is not the same as its been in the last ten year. Its completely different across the board. Ask anyone who has been hunting for any length of time, finds are way down and the amount of blowback from banks is exponentially worse in all facets. Pick up banks are harder to solidify and keep. Finds are being pulled by knowledgeable tellers, and an influx of newbie hunters. Considering you do not feel there has been a change Im not going to waste my time explaining how these tellers and newbies are not learning about silver/CRH from tera cards or moss on trees.

All I can say is that you have much more then YouTube to blame for that. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to CRH. There are many books, and forums that share the blame to the explosion of CRH. I'm. Otherwise really sure there is anymore CRH'ERS then there was back in the 70's. There just wasn't the Internet around where people could gather together to share information and finds. My only issue with you (ugotit22) is that your jumping on a good kid (rryanq) who is just videoing his hunts and showing people the good and the bad of CRH. He is a contributing member here who just doesn't post videos and not contribute anything else. Those members that just post videos and say nothing else is a different stories.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it MXH, I don't feel like these guys are attacking me or anything. I appreciate a good argument, it's the best way to gain information, get out of your bubble and move things forward. We've been having this debate for over a year now and I'm sure it will continue for many to come. I appreciate you having my back though. I think both sides make great points, but I don't see why ugo had to go and throw out the remark about "uneducated videos". It's stuff like that that I would love some elaboration on, because it seems like he's built up this view of me as an uneducated outsider to this hobby. I have had numerous people thank me for the amount of information I provide in my videos. Not only do these comments show up in the comment section, but through the mail as well. As I've said before, there are a handful of more well known coin roll hunters on YouTube, and in this community, I am known as the most informative channel where as the majority of the rest are focused on big scores and doing lots of hunts. Oh and Ugo, to your comment about my theory being incorrect...I believe that you are wrong. I understand that plenty of hunters hunt all denominations, but if you regularly hunt half dollars then I think you know which category you fall into. The mindset between those who hunt the big coins versus the small change is pretty significant. That's hat I was after with that statement.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. You can't have selective reading! Many examples have been given in the previous posts that can cause banks to get upset and get one cut off. None of these things are covered in your videos. People are watching your videos and assuming all you have to do is go to the bank and get boxes of coins. We all know it's not that simple. I see nothing in your videos about what to do with the coins once they're searched. Those uneducated viewers will end up going to the bank and "demanding" boxes so they can get "silver". Then they'll bring them back and want more ordered. That's when banks cut you off. It's really not that difficult to figure out. Put yourself in the bank's shoes. They pay money to order coin boxes and pay to ship them out. Different branches will have different rules for ordering depending on number of commercial accounts. If head tellers are under pressure and they get harassed by individuals they will turn around and stop ordering.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Don't worry about it MXH, I don't feel like these guys are attacking me or anything. I appreciate a good argument, it's the best way to gain information, get out of your bubble and move things forward. We've been having this debate for over a year now and I'm sure it will continue for many to come. I appreciate you having my back though. I think both sides make great points, but I don't see why ugo had to go and throw out the remark about "uneducated videos". It's stuff like that that I would love some elaboration on, because it seems like he's built up this view of me as an uneducated outsider to this hobby. I have had numerous people thank me for the amount of information I provide in my videos. Not only do these comments show up in the comment section, but through the mail as well. As I've said before, there are a handful of more well known coin roll hunters on YouTube, and in this community, I am known as the most informative channel where as the majority of the rest are focused on big scores and doing lots of hunts. Oh and Ugo, to your comment about my theory being incorrect...I believe that you are wrong. I understand that plenty of hunters hunt all denominations, but if you regularly hunt half dollars then I think you know which category you fall into. The mindset between those who hunt the big coins versus the small change is pretty significant. That's hat I was after with that statement.

Ofcourse they are thanking you for the information, your telling them about the goose laying the golden egg. All the while choosing to not tell them about the giant.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Okay. You can't have selective reading! Many examples have been given in the previous posts that can cause banks to get upset and get one cut off. None of these things are covered in your videos. People are watching your videos and assuming all you have to do is go to the bank and get boxes of coins. We all know it's not that simple. I see nothing in your videos about what to do with the coins once they're searched. Those uneducated viewers will end up going to the bank and "demanding" boxes so they can get "silver". Then they'll bring them back and want more ordered. That's when banks cut you off. It's really not that difficult to figure out. Put yourself in the bank's shoes. They pay money to order coin boxes and pay to ship them out. Different branches will have different rules for ordering depending on number of commercial accounts. If head tellers are under pressure and they get harassed by individuals they will turn around and stop ordering.

TH
this is not rocket science, enamel and I have said it like 5 time in this thread. You cant preach that your being so informative, but there are zero videos about what not to do on your page. If your gonna claim to be informative youd think you would at least tell people what not to do.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider myself a veteran CRH. I've been searching on & off for about 30 yrs. I watch the YouTube CRH videos all the time. But I'd NEVER post one. They do bring new people into the hobby - and like Enamel said - many of them (not all) are ignorant noobs who don't understand the nuances of the hobby & will eventually get us all cut off. It's just a matter of time. Many CRHs come and go on this site. Those of us who still hunt do so because we've managed to get lucky with drop off & pick up banks who haven't yet started charging fees for ordering/dumping, taken out the coin counters, or outright banned the hobby. The banks keep trying to outsmart us, but we stay one step ahead. BofA used to give me instant credit on bags. Then they stopped because some hunter was shorting them. I could search about 4x the volume with the same bankroll before! Now I have to wait for it to be counted but I figured out when they go out & when the $ will hit my account & time my pick ups accordingly.
There is a big difference between YouTube & books/forums. You have to go out & look for a book or forum to find CRH. YouTube will "suggest" videos for you that you might not normally watch for example if you search "silver". That's how a lot of people stumble across this. And yes it will eventually be our downfall.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider myself a veteran CRH. I've been searching on & off for about 30 yrs. I watch the YouTube CRH videos all the time. But I'd NEVER post one. They do bring new people into the hobby - and like Enamel said - many of them (not all) are ignorant noobs who don't understand the nuances of the hobby & will eventually get us all cut off. It's just a matter of time. Many CRHs come and go on this site. Those of us who still hunt do so because we've managed to get lucky with drop off & pick up banks who haven't yet started charging fees for ordering/dumping, taken out the coin counters, or outright banned the hobby. The banks keep trying to outsmart us, but we stay one step ahead. BofA used to give me instant credit on bags. Then they stopped because some hunter was shorting them. I could search about 4x the volume with the same bankroll before! Now I have to wait for it to be counted but I figured out when they go out & when the $ will hit my account & time my pick ups accordingly.
There is a big difference between YouTube & books/forums. You have to go out & look for a book or forum to find CRH. YouTube will "suggest" videos for you that you might not normally watch for example if you search "silver". That's how a lot of people stumble across this. And yes it will eventually be our downfall.

Well just to play Devils advocate..this forum is what got me into CRH. I came to this forum as a metal detectorist and just so happened to look that the forum on CRH and decided to try it. I see everyone's concerns with YouTube but the fact is your never going to change the culture. You can whine and complain all you want but people are going to make videos of stuff they like.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, point granted. I see now that you are criticizing me for a lack of information rather than for providing misinformation. To that effect, I am going to start writing a new series on the shoulds and should-nots of coin roll hunting in hopes that I can inform new hunters on coin roll hunting etiquette.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Well just to play Devils advocate..this forum is what got me into CRH. I came to this forum as a metal detectorist and just so happened to look that the forum on CRH and decided to try it. I see everyone's concerns with YouTube but the fact is your never going to change the culture. You can whine and complain all you want but people are going to make videos of stuff they like.

Most of us don't have a problem with people learning about CHR through this forum, because it is the very nature of a forum for people to ask questions and get advice from seasoned veterans who have made all the mistakes and want to help the newbies avoid those same mistakes. You don't get that with YouTube. There you might get some people commenting, but it's not the same; nowhere close.

I agree, people are going to make videos of what they love, especially if it profits them. It doesn't mean we're going to like it, and for the OP to repeatedly broadcast his actions here knowing that a vocal majority despise it shows poor judgement IMO.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us don't have a problem with people learning about CHR through this forum, because it is the very nature of a forum for people to ask questions and get advice from seasoned veterans who have made all the mistakes and want to help the newbies avoid those same mistakes. You don't get that with YouTube. There you might get some people commenting, but it's not the same; nowhere close.

I agree, people are going to make videos of what they love, especially if it profits them. It doesn't mean we're going to like it, and for the OP to repeatedly broadcast his actions here knowing that a vocal majority despise it shows poor judgement IMO.

It's not the majority who dislike it. Most people could care less.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the majority who dislike it. Most people could care less.

Most people claim to be in the majority (even with strong evidence otherwise).
Splitting hairs about such a thing is nothing but a weak distraction.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people claim to be in the majority (even with strong evidence otherwise).
Splitting hairs about such a thing is nothing but a weak distraction.

Oh I was unaware of the poll you took on the subject.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I was unaware of the poll you took on the subject.

Seems that really what you are unaware of is that I was making the point that none of y'all claiming to be in the majority have any basis for believing that.

I'm sure that your poll that you reference in support of your "Most people could care less." comment is at least as credible as the other polls you believe in.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems that really what you are unaware of is that I was making the point that none of y'all claiming to be in the majority have any basis for believing that.

I'm sure that your poll that you reference in support of your "Most people could care less." comment is at least as credible as the other polls you believe in.

It's really is just common sense that nobody cares. There is the same 5 people who are so against CRH videos. The rest on this forum either support it or don't give a rats butt about it. I really find it funny that we are debating who the majority is. Just because you are the loudest or most vocal doesn't mean your the majority.

The fact is even if you are the majority, it doesn't mean you have the right to decide if a person can post CRH videos. Kind of sad when certain people come on here and call people stupid for posting videos, then go and post thread after thread of their good finds.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really is just common sense that nobody cares. There is the same 5 people who are so against CRH videos. The rest on this forum either support it or don't give a rats butt about it. I really find it funny that we are debating who the majority is. Just because you are the loudest or most vocal doesn't mean your the majority.

The fact is even if you are the majority, it doesn't mean you have the right to decide if a person can post CRH videos. Kind of sad when certain people come on here and call people stupid for posting videos, then go and post thread after thread of their good finds.

I was making a point that neither you nor your unwilling debate opponent have any basis for claiming to be in the majority? And, that I did that specifically because I found it funny that you felt a need to debate who the majority is?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread