May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't had much of a chance to be on here in months but what just occurred this evening is too good to pass up.

I had stopped at a supermarket on my way to the gym to pick up some protein bars and flavored waters for the office. On my way out I noticed the CoinStar machine and decided to see if they will give store credit for dumped coins. Turns out that they do not - at least at that chain. As I was about to leave the kiosk I noticed a single silver coin in the reject tray, so I casually reach for it only to find out that in the darkness of the tray there were a lot of coins. I quickly scooped everything out and dropped them into my grocery bag.

Here's what I found:

Quarters = 8 (including TWO 1964 silvers!!!)
Dimes = 2 (including ONE 1951 Rosie!!!)
Nickels = 1
Pennies = 5
Canadian Quarters = 1
Canadian Dimes = 1
Cuban 5-Cent Coins (Cinco Centavos) = 10 (Yes, TEN!!!)
Heavily corroded coin, possibly a nickel?
Copper-colored "No Cash Value" coin

I have NEVER found silver or foreign in a CoinStar before. And I think I've found a lifetime total of 5 modern US coins, that's all. But THIRTY in one shot with 10% of it being silver and 33% being my first Cuban coins?!?!?

That made my night (and my week). 8-)

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You have gone and done it now. For now on you will ALWAYS be looking at the coinstar machine reject tray every time you pass one.
Believe me....... I Know

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have gone and done it now. For now on you will ALWAYS be looking at the coinstar machine reject tray every time you pass one.
Believe me....... I Know

It has actually affected where I shop. I will pick Walmart over target now for quick little shopping trips for stuff, just so I can check the coinstar.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Tanner and I average 2 Coin Star searches per week. Silver finds average 1 or 2 coins per year. Not a great return but better than nothing.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome my biggest coinstar scores have been $7.15 and $3.60 all clad. ive found 3 silver rosies in the last 6 months at different times.

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter checks the coinstar machine wherever we go. She puts all her finds in a jar and once a year, around her birthday, we break it down and count it.

In the last year she got just over thirty two dollars, plus five silver dimes, and one silver quarter.

There were about sixty foreign coins. They came from twenty two countries, the oldest being 1973 Austria, 1962 Japan, 1947 Netherland Antilles, and 1942 Netherland East Indies.

There's a bunch of gaming tokens from four local arcades. Then they're the weird stuff. There's a few religious tokens, one police token, and a few that are new but we haven't got a clue what they are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions