Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

It has come to my attention that there is not enough information on YouTube regarding the shoulds and should-nots of coin roll hunting as a hobby. I would like to start a series where I provide the real stats and the reality behind coin roll hunting, along with useful information for beginners. I am aware of the stickies that have excellent information on coin roll hunting and I will use those as a resource when writing the series.

The reason I am making this post is to get your feedback. What are the most important things that YOU would like for newbies to know before they start? Thanks in advance!

- Ryan

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
My feedback as one of the longest tenured members here in the CRH'ing group and probably one of the oldest hunters here will be blunt. Feel free to do whatever you want, but don't come here masking your intentions as soliciting advice. At this point, your actions seem to be trolling the group.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things that newcomers to the hobby will need to know:

Many "established" hobbyists have concerns about promoting the hobby to casually interested transients that might harm the delicate balance. No matter how they might spin it, books, articles, videos, etc about the hobby are not going to be universally well received. Your viewers, that you are trying to help be good stewards of the hobby, should know that it would be bad form if they were to continually try to shove that promote-to-the-masses concept down the throat of the community that they claim to have an honest interest in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is just no pleasing you people...I am trying to provide newcomers with information so that they don't do something stupid like turn in the coins they just searched so that we can all keep this hobby. I thought you would all be on board, but you instead continue to call me a manipulator. Are you kidding me?? Have you no reason to believe that I might actually have good intentions? I just finished arguing with others over how my channel lacks information. I realized that they were correct and that I should provide more information. Diver Down, your statements are ridiculous. I do not need any advice from any of you. There is more than enough information in the stickies, and I have developed my own knowledge during the time I've been doing this. But just because I don't need it, doesn't mean I don't want it. You want to see an improvement in the number of newbs that are making mistakes that cost you your bank, then work with me. Otherwise, keep your slanderous garbage to yourself.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I would like to start a series where I provide the real stats and the reality behind coin roll hunting"

OK, why not start by making a video or two of an honest, normal, average coin hunt? Oh, I know, nobody would watch it.
Or you could make it a feature film and add to the beginning, the going to the bank, maybe stop and get some gas (cars don't run for free)
then at the bank, wait in line, deal with them to get your coins/boxes whatever, hand them a handful of cash, carry the heavy coins to the car, then drive home.
Then add to the end of your little video the rerolling/bagging/whatever you do. Then the drive to dump the heavy coins, deal with the tellers again or dump into a coin counter (hopefully one that doesn't charge you) and hope you are not shorted by the count. Then drive home (hoping that next time that you might find
a coin (or a few coins might be keepers).
Oh but again, who would want to watch that?
Well that is the real reality.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryan, you are going to do the hobby how you choose to do it. You are not going to convince everyone that the way you are doing it is a "good" way. Trying to do that will go from frustrating to exhausting and will end there.

There are other contentious practices that are occasionally discussed in the CRH forum (marking dumps; purging dollar changers/vending machines of their reservoir; re-wrapping and boxing in original wraps; etc). When those contentious practices are mentioned, some members admonish the OP, others encourage. But, no one changes their position on it. Your contentious practice is no different and will be challenged every time it is brought up.

No one here knows your intentions of this thread. But, given the recentness and bitterness of the other discussion, I am not surprised that you've been challenged (I am surprised that you seem surprised.).

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is just no pleasing you people...I am trying to provide newcomers with information so that they don't do something stupid like turn in the coins they just searched so that we can all keep this hobby. I thought you would all be on board, but you instead continue to call me a manipulator. Are you kidding me?? Have you no reason to believe that I might actually have good intentions? I just finished arguing with others over how my channel lacks information. I realized that they were correct and that I should provide more information. Diver Down, your statements are ridiculous. I do not need any advice from any of you. There is more than enough information in the stickies, and I have developed my own knowledge during the time I've been doing this. But just because I don't need it, doesn't mean I don't want it. You want to see an improvement in the number of newbs that are making mistakes that cost you your bank, then work with me. Otherwise, keep your slanderous garbage to yourself.

I don't believe anyone here called you a manipulator, so stop that exaggerating nonsense.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your videos are good to go, don't listen to the scared sallies.
Everyone knows that 90 percent of it is boring and monotonous. No secret there. There's not much glamour in crh but it's still an addiction haha.
If your videos were realistic then no one would watch so keep it fun. It's all for fun anyway!

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your videos were realistic then no one would watch so keep it fun.

That tells me everything I need to know about you boys/guys or whatever you are, and any so-called values you might have.
And how you are degrading/destroying this hobby/fun/addition/whatever to hell you want to call it.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like newbies to know that not all coin roll hunters wear deep V cotton t-shirts

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryan,

Keep your videos the same. If the people giving you a hard time would actually watch your videos, they would see that you are posting realistic videos of what to expect when CRH.

I think you learned a valuable lesson that some people just complain about anything. Some of the same people who complained about your videos not telling newbies every single rule (like that is possible) in every video, are the ones complaining here when you try and make an instructional CRH series.

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never watched OP's videos. Why are people jumping down his throat for seemingly no reason?

OP: "I want to make this video".
Replies: "Screw you dude!!!"

That's how I read it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has come to my attention that there is not enough information on YouTube regarding the shoulds and should-nots of coin roll hunting as a hobby.

A search for "coin roll hunting" on YouTube nets 147,000 videos, so there must be plenty of info out there. But if you think you can be helpful, feel free to post a video. Nothing wrong with that...

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too many nervous Nellie's out there. No one will ruin your precious crh, give me a break. There are so many bad videos where people just ramble on and Ryan gets to the point and makes it fun. What a bunch of crybabies.
If your biggest fear of losing your crh hobby because of someone's video, you really need a life. Stop crying.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never watched OP's videos. Why are people jumping down his throat for seemingly no reason?
. . .

It is very much like the ever-widening political division we see. Different sides feel very strongly about their very different views. When one side makes a public display of their view (or worse yet, publicly celebrates a "win"), the other side feels taunted and overreacts. It is an action-reaction cycle that is becoming accepted, even natural (almost as if we are conditioned to follow said cycle).

OP knows that probably half (or even more) of the audience here strongly disapproves of videos. He contends that his videos are different (he even has some minions who chant that same claim). Ryan says that he has an appreciative following in other venues and he doesn't understand why there are not more here that are on board. The unpleasant fact is that there are some/many here that will always see his promoting of his revenue-generating videos as rubbing salt in a wound. Right or wrong, when the strong disapprovers are poked, they will growl. I get the impression that this thread was perceived as a doubling down. Doubling down by either side ain't gonna help the cause.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Ryan, since I was one of the commenters on your previous post I feel that I should chime in here as well. As mentioned by many already there is no way that you are going to be able to please the many sides of the CRH community and as also mentioned there are way more videos out there regarding coin roll hunting than the ones that you have taken the time to put together. If making videos while crhing is how you enjoy the hobby then by all means go for it. I have taken the time to view a couple of yours and you seem to have a good thing going...crhing/doing your video hobby/spending time with your bro, etc. To address the comments that I had made in your previous post, I would suggest interjecting in your commentary or text comments below the video with things such as "Hey, for any newcomers out there remember don't use pick up banks as your dumps, etc, etc." "Let's ensure we respect the unwritten rules of the hobby so that we can continue to enjoy it, etc" Once again, just a suggestion and since you have running commentary not to hard to interject between roll searches. I have seen other videos and there are those out there just portray the hobby as a quick money making scheme because of the "mounds of silver" that banks are "just giving away", etc. You don't want to be one of those and I hope you can see why some of us have a negative attitude regarding videos (myself included). We prefer doing our thing, enjoying our hobby, sharing our finds with fellow treasure hunters on forums such as this one and welcome you to do the same; but, you are definitely free to do your videos just understand why not all here would support it.

Good luck hunting and enjoy the day!
-TwoYewts

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ryan, since I was one of the commenters on your previous post I feel that I should chime in here as well. As mentioned by many already there is no way that you are going to be able to please the many sides of the CRH community and as also mentioned there are way more videos out there regarding coin roll hunting than the ones that you have taken the time to put together. If making videos while crhing is how you enjoy the hobby then by all means go for it. I have taken the time to view a couple of yours and you seem to have a good thing going...crhing/doing your video hobby/spending time with your bro, etc. To address the comments that I had made in your previous post, I would suggest interjecting in your commentary or text comments below the video with things such as "Hey, for any newcomers out there remember don't use pick up banks as your dumps, etc, etc." "Let's ensure we respect the unwritten rules of the hobby so that we can continue to enjoy it, etc" Once again, just a suggestion and since you have running commentary not to hard to interject between roll searches. I have seen other videos and there are those out there just portray the hobby as a quick money making scheme because of the "mounds of silver" that banks are "just giving away", etc. You don't want to be one of those and I hope you can see why some of us have a negative attitude regarding videos (myself included). We prefer doing our thing, enjoying our hobby, sharing our finds with fellow treasure hunters on forums such as this one and welcome you to do the same; but, you are definitely free to do your videos just understand why not all here would support it.

Good luck hunting and enjoy the day!
-TwoYewts

That was the best post yet. Thanks for sharing your view.

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the world's foremost expert

As the world's foremost expert on my opinion, my opinion is that I like to watch instructional videos made by experts on that subject. Would you say that you are an expert or leading authority on crh? Anyone can post a video on whatever subject but the amount of usable information can be next to none or it can be very useful. I remember looking for videos on how to cook a pig in the ground. There are so many ways and everyone has what they think is the best. Hopefully viewers will realize the need more than a video posted on line to learn the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread