How Much if Any?

Hockey_Detectorist

Aug 15, 2016
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200 & 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently just got into coin roll hunting the other week. Ordered $100 in halves, $50 in nickels, $10 in pennies, and $100 in dimes; Now, of that I have found only 8 wheaties, no silver, about $2.25 in copper pennies, and a quite a few '60 and older nickels. So my questions to the forum are these: Does anyone save Lincoln memorial copper pennies? If so how much? If I were to sell some of my coins down the road, how would I go about selling them to one of the many coin shops in the area? (The last question meaning, if I were to go to sell, what do I have to do to not get ripped off)

Any response will greatly help my "newcomers" understanding to coin roll hunting!

Happy Hunting

Hockey_Detectorist

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have saved about $25 to $50 worth just because I was bored one winter. You can sell them on ebay or Craigslist. It all depends on the spot price of copper as for how much you can get. In my mind it's not really worth the time and money to sort copper. It's illegal to melt them and you would be lucky to find someone willing to pay you 1.3 cents per copper penny.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Along the lines of what mxh said, I also find it not worth the time to horde copper; but, I do hold onto Wheaties as there does seem to be a market for them. I mostly search pennies because A) easy enough to sustain a flow of several boxes without killing the cash you have on hand and B) In my opinion, pennies give you your best odds to find some fun error coins, errors that exceed coin face value by 100x+ and if you are one of the lucky ones there is always the chance to find an error that nets you a very nice payday. My other favorite is nickels for error finding and variety (war nickels/buffalos/V nickels/foreign currency).

In regards to your last question, the only answer I could really provide is use the internet and auction sites to determine an approximate value of what you have before attempting to sell. For example, check Ebay for sold auctions for the coin you are trying to sell to see what the going rate is for similarly graded coins. Take a little time to search around and at least if you walk into a place and they offer you something similar to the prices you have seen you can walk away without feeling ripped off.

Hope that helps.
-TwoYewts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions