Bank gave me 10 rolls of dimes with clear plastic wrappers? Ever see these before?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not good! My bank gave me dimes with clear plastic wrappers. I can check them in a blink of an eye without ever opening them. I'll probably open them to check for errors, but you get my point. Is this a new thing or have they been doing this for awhile?

DSC06314.JPG

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the armored car companies does this, I don't remember which one.

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen it before. I used to go to the bank and pick up change for the store I used to work at a few years ago. I would always check them for silver but I never found any.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first couple boxes of dimes that I got were like that. It was so disheartening...I saw no silver upon first inspection. I knew I would end up going through them anyway, but it was definitely not a fun time once that element of surprise was lifted.

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen it from a few banks but not often..in the roughly $500 I've searched from the clear plastic I think I've found 1 silver dime....but it was a seated dime!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yah shrink wrapped dimes also quarters as well ... its way too easy to cull with a glance

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I used to get those all the time. You can find silver in them, but it's few and far between, probably because they stand out so easily that the tellers can see them and grab them first.

Getting an unopened box is your best bet to find silver in plastic rolls.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seen them here in New York when I picked up some roles from a Capital One bank. Cap One is not one of my regular pick up banks, so not sure if that is the typical style of roll they carry. Just like Ivan, it was Quarter and Dime rolls. Nickel and pennies were in standard paper rolls.

-TwoYewts

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunbar used plastic last year. got a few boxes. a HORROR to get coins out & tellers hate 'em. the dime boxes were loaded with Canada CRAP :BangHead:. not worth the grief to fight shrink sh*t plastic

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I too dislike the plastic rolls - they have given up silvers , the earlier mention of buying unopened boxes is the way to go - if you're getting sealed boxes the prcesses involved in counting ,shrink wrapping , boxing - are automated so the yield should be alright .

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunbar used plastic last year. got a few boxes. a HORROR to get coins out & tellers hate 'em. the dime boxes were loaded with Canada CRAP . not worth the grief to fight shrink sh*t plastic

Yup, pain in the rear to open up. I'll have to avoid getting coins from that bank from now on.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Those are the best! Check a full box in less than five minutes, return the skunks intact in the box to a dump bank. I'll take those all day! I've even pulled a dime or two out of the middle and refilled rolls without a problem though I usually just break open the rolls with silver and hit up a coin machine. Some smaller banks have to pay for coin service so getting a box of dimes returned to them can be good. Problems do arise is if you are dealing in high volume and you haven't lined up banks to take the full boxes. As with any CRH disposal pre-planning is key. Also - I have found that many vending machines and parking meters will take Canadian dimes if you are seeing an abundance of them!

Maine_Jim

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brinks used to deliver them in my area.

Can't remember who, but someone had an incredible box of dimes on here that were plastic-wrapped. Even found a gold coin.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shrink wrapped coin rolls have been around for years. No conspiracy here!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had my fair share of those clear condoms rolls. Being in Michigan, every other roll would be peppered with white Canadian edges, if my eye is good, I can still check for silver without opening a roll.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Those would be Brinks rolls. One bank in my area used to only sell me those kind. They were 100% skunk, never found a silver even after several boxes. It must have been sorted out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread