Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After hunting through a box of pennies, I use a scale to weigh out 50 zinc pennies to make rolls to turn back into the bank. A zinc penny weighs 2.5 grams. However, while I was weighing out one of my rolls, I came across a strange total weight. It wasn't enough to be a copper in the mix, but it was entriguing. So I searched through the pile and weighed a few coins that I thought might be causing the discrepancy. To my pleasure, the issue was with a 1983 coin. Could this be the fabled copper 1983 penny?? Probably not...it's mass was 2.6 grams as oppose to the standard 2.5 grams. But it was interesting nonetheless. I'm writing this on the road so I don't have pictures right now, but it is nothing out of the ordinary. It looks like a normal 1983 penny. Any ideas on what's causing it to be 0.1 extra grams?

Upvote 0

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the blank was rolled with an improper thickness... strange. It's a shame that coin was not copper or you would be $15,000 richer.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins have a variance in weight. They don't all weigh 2,5 grams.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3118.JPG IMG_3119.JPG

Here's some pics of the coin. Like I said, nothing out of the ordinary upon inspection. I do think that it might have been from a mint set.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mint set coins ate no different than coins in circulation.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mint set coins ate no different than coins in circulation.

I didn't think they were, just checking. But come on...I know coin masses vary, but by that much??

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be soiled. 0.09g is not much material.

Also, I would be a bit suspicious of the scale. Most hobby grade scales do not have matching accuracy and precision (just because they read to 0.01g precision does not mean that they are accurate to 0.01g). Test this by incrementally weighing grains of rice. Two grains will weigh about 0.03g if they are absolutely dry, much more if they are holding moisture.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have WAY too much time on your hands..

Lol yeah, just got off spring break. Haven't figured out a dump bank in my hometown yet so I had to hand roll them. Wasn't too bad though, only took maybe 15 mins.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be soiled. 0.09g is not much material.

Also, I would be a bit suspicious of the scale. Most hobby grade scales do not have matching accuracy and precision (just because they read to 0.01g precision does not mean that they are accurate to 0.01g). Test this by incrementally weighing grains of rice. Two grains will weigh about 0.03g if they are absolutely dry, much more if they are holding moisture.

What do you mean "soiled"?

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean "soiled"?

Just meant it could have some crud on it that might or might not be entirely visible.
Wax comes top mind as something that might not be obvious. There might be others. Obviously, that is a guess.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
On an average, Lincoln Cents generally weigh from the norm up to near 0.15 grams high and generally weigh as much as 0.10 grams low and still be considered within tolerance. I once found a 1944-P "Pollock 2078 Variety" Lincoln Cent that weighed in at 4.11 grams. These are sometimes called "Pierfort", "Piedfort" or "Piefort" (seems to be no consensus on the true name) Cents. It was also Struck Thru a couple of times through Thread or an unknown thin wire on the Obverse and once on the Reverse. It never has been determined whether the 1944-P "Thick Planchet" Cents were struck on Experimental Planchets or Foreign Coin Planchets. Don't stop looking because such Thick Planchet Cents exist and some are worth quite a bit of money. I sold mine for $135 on eBay back in 2005.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1944-p-pierfort-cent-lincoln-cent-pollock-2078-variety.8058/

Frank

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some solid rolls of 2016-P un- circulated dimes weigh in at 113.6 grams, about 0.6 grams light for the roll---rolled toooo durned thin, and they can be a pain in the :censored: to dump ---get rejected, then they count in a few tries :BangHead::BangHead:. just peek at a roll of cents----thickness can be thin---thinner---& thinnest :laughing7: :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread