Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it ever feel like there are snipers everywhere? I went to a bank I suspect is filled with snipers. You know the type,.. You ask for halves and you get weird reactions like "here these are really great!" ($100 skunk) No, no we don't get anything like that here. "This one's a 1983,.. do you still want it?" They hawk over any coin you are about to receive in case something almost slips by them. The strange part is I have gotten silver from out under their noses or I wouldn't keep coming back. I am sure they keep the lions share but they can't be everywhere.
Well I missed a good opportunity today. The guy at the teller beside me says he wants to cash in some bills. I look over and see the lime green of a $10 gold certificate. The guy says " I can't get anyone to take them, everyone thinks they are fake." In unison I and two of the three tellers say " I'll take them!" I start to open my wallet and before I can get the guy to focus on me the tellers are grabbing the bills. I figured there would be plenty for everyone. The guys got quite a few. Nope, they snatched em up so fast my head was spinning. I asked the teller if I could get one from her and she gives me a " No. "
I figured I'd wait outside and get a word with the guy in case he's got more to unload. I wait two minutes and then stick my head back in and the guy is long gone; there is a front and a back door. Ugh, frustration. Then the teller who got the bills starts gloating rattling off " I have this and that and the other at home,. ." Normally I love war stories but I could feel steam coming out of my ears. I know we all have so many stories like this it cold fill a hard drive. I just like the ones with happier endings. I really feel like I could have said I would give him twelve dollars for the ten and that would have opened negotiations into the wad. I was just moving slow and those tellers were quick. Sorry had to vent. Best of luck to all

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, the judge isn't buying that baloney. You just committed fraud against an elderly person. Now you're a convicted felon, so kiss your teller job goodbye!

This is laughable... the teller isn't forcing or tricking the person to turn in their silver coins. People turning in silver coins for face value is why CRH is still alive. We need dumb uninformed people to keep the silver flowing. Instead of trying to throw the teller in jail,you should be thanking him/her.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need dumb uninformed people to keep the silver flowing. Instead of trying to throw the teller in jail,you should be thanking him/her

Well, I will agree on us needing dumb people to keep the silver flowing. Hate to look at it that way, but you have a very good point!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm obviously just having a little fun here. The bank and the teller shouldn't have to look out for the dumb people in this world.

"You can't fix stupid."

Ron White

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
So based on what I've read here, if an elderly person brings in 500 Mercs to exchange for bills, these unethical tellers will keep their mouths shut, hand the person $50 for the coins and then buy them from the bank later that day? Sounds like a criminal act to me...

Dude, you're out of your mind! The teller is doing what they are supposed to do: giving $50 cash for $50 face value of legal US tender. You have to remember that most tellers don't have a clue that Mercury dimes are worth anything more than 10 cents each, which is why we still find Mercs in rolls.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Nice of you to do that, but this applies to you as well...

WTF are you talking about??? What exactly applies to me? That I'm not allowed to tip somebody off not to sell silver at face value? That I'm not allowed to make them a fair offer for their coins?

You're outraged when tellers give cash for US legal tender, and you're outraged when someone attempts to stop the customer from giving away silver for face value. Is there anything you're not outraged about? WTF would you do in this situation?

For the record, I have never cheated anybody out of silver. Whenever I tip off someone not to sell their silver for face value, I offer to buy it nearly at face value, always a fair deal for them and for me.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/485540-incredible-dumping-experience.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...ping-experience-part-2-kinda-long-winded.html

If you've got a problem with that, you can GFY!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this debacle needs to be presented to the 9TH Circuit Court of Appeals-------they seem to know all the answers_______________________which is why they are overturned on about 80% of their rulings :laughing7::laughing7:. my local M&T bank turned away a senior who tried to cash in a pile of MS proof Walkers last year--- they did the right thing :icon_thumright: I am still wrangling with this conundrum as a matter of ethics between me and a bank, this thread will last an eternity as an example of being stuck between a rock__________________and a rock :BangHead: :dontknow: ??? :icon_scratch: now my brain hurts :BangHead:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minor point - You probably meant Stalingrad, Leningrad didn't have the many snipers as it was never actually invaded.

jnicole

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2017
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So based on what I've read here, if an elderly person brings in 500 Mercs to exchange for bills, these unethical tellers will keep their mouths shut, hand the person $50 for the coins and then buy them from the bank later that day? Sounds like a criminal act to me...

Teller here, just wanted to throw my two cents in. Where I work, it has been discussed and understood, that if someone brings in coins such as Mercs, or something valuable, that I have to let them know. Point it out, let them know it may be worth more than face value. Then, if they still want to trade in (and some do), I can purchase them. It has to be done through my account with a withdrawal slip, so that there is record and it covers my rear end. This has gotten me some nice coins, and I have also seen some walk out.

I also save some coins for fellow collector customers, as I like to spread the love. :icon_thumright: <3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread