12,500 Dimes Yields a Grand Total of 3 Silvers! Back to metal detecting!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm up to $1,250 in dimes and all I've found are THREE silvers! Ouch! I've got a '49 and 2 '60's to show for all my work. I did find a nice die crack, so it hasn't been a total waste of my time. Time to go back to metal detecting and give CRH a rest for awhile!

I've got $1,135.00 wrapped so far and another $115.00 to go. I wonder if my bank will get mad if I show up with 12,500 dimes? LOL!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, forgot the photo!

DSC06376.JPG

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got to find a bank with a coin counter! If I had to re roll, I don't think I would hunt anymore.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re-rolling dimes is the worst! I cant even stand to re-roll $250, let alone $1000+.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I try n never let my pile get above $300 for dimes nickels pennies and $1200 for halves. You definitely should get a chain with coin counters. I either re roll as I hunt each roll or just dump em into a bucket if I know I am going to my banks with machines later. Did you do all MWRs from the same type courier? I am always curious of dime strategies. I get 1-10 rolls- customer rolls sometimes mixed with factory rolls. When I get a silver or two I always mean to go back and get the rest of their dimes but usually I already did since they never have many (or any) CWR dimes. I don't track numbers as well as some on here but I seem to get a silver every $170-$200. I was pretty excited to snipe a silver dime out of a teller tray a few weeks ago. That was a first. I was all nerves as I worked it into my change order without tipping my hand. I am going back to that branch since I got 1 40% 1/2, the dime and a Buffalo nickel. That's a good old money bank but will probably dry up before I get back. At least I know nobody's sniping there. I'd like to try a box of dimes but haven't had the right opportunity yet.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironically, if you lived in NE Oklahoma (and certain other places), the bank would make you break out all of the dimes and run them through a counter. Believe it or not, I had to break open every roll of a box of new dimes at one of our mega banks back in the day. I was able to find a couple banks that would take the courier/bank wrapped rolls. The banks here say they don't allow a bunch of rolled coin because of people shorting the rolls and the complaints they deal with from people that have been shorted.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you do all MWRs from the same type courier? I am always curious of dime strategies. I get 1-10 rolls- customer rolls sometimes mixed with factory rolls.

I usually get 10 or 20 rolls per bank. I seem to do better at Citizen's Bank. More CWR's and older coins in general. I've gotten quite a few rolls that were all 2016's at Navigant, so that may explain why my silver ratio is bad. I should probably just return them at another bank, but I like looking for die cracks, cuds and other errors.

I think all 3 silvers were CWR's, but my brain is a little foggy right now! Unfortunately, I bought another 20 rolls today! It's raining out and not much to do tonight! I need help with my CRH addiction! LOL!

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some coin counting machines like to count some dimes as cents, so if you go that route, pay attention to the printout slip.
If it is wrong, explain this to the teller, and hope for the best. I was shorted $30 once and they denied it.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
3 silver from12,500 dimes is a little low, but not that far off. I average 5 from that quantity. Of course, I just edge check dimes, so it's not as bad, and don't have to reroll.

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I searched a bag of dimes from a coin counter ($1000) plus $200 in cwr and found 3 silver rosies. The week before I searched $700 in dimes and got 2 silvers. This week I found 51 silver rosies and 2 mercs in a $500 bag from a coin counter. It was a fun bag to search through that never would have happened if I had quit after some bad weeks.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Last week I searched a bag of dimes from a coin counter ($1000) plus $200 in cwr and found 3 silver rosies. The week before I searched $700 in dimes and got 2 silvers. This week I found 51 silver rosies and 2 mercs in a $500 bag from a coin counter. It was a fun bag to search through that never would have happened if I had quit after some bad weeks.

Interesting. I searched my first $500 dime bag (no drug references please...) last week, and found nothing. I can get them every few weeks, and had planned to pass but now I may need to reconsider.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These days every time I go ask to order a box of halves either they growl at me or say they'll take the order, but it never comes in.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I searched my first $500 dime bag (no drug references please...) last week, and found nothing. I can get them every few weeks, and had planned to pass but now I may need to reconsider.

Make sure they're not off a machine that rejects silver. If so then you're wasting your time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread