Metal Detecting
first shot at doing nickels 5 rolls netted this 1981P EF nickel
2017-03-11 001.JPG
2017-03-11 002.JPG

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
This is not a broadstrike. Rather it is a misaligned obverse die. A rather frequent occurance, although not to the extreme of your example.

A broadstruck coin is one that is struck without the collar die in place, resulting in a very broad, or wide coin.

Learning the many terms used by both the mints making the coins and the collectors, both casual and professional, can be a daunting task. I would suggest, if you are more than a casual collector, or you want to learn more, that you pick up a few guides on errors. Doing so helped me a lot.

Time for coffee.

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
went to coin store and the owner stated that it was a broadstrike but looking at examples i see how it must be a mad thanks

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
My favorite coin shop has only one employee on staff that I would consider knowledgeable in the area of errors, and the minting process generally. The other coin shop has one employee: the owner. I went there a few times and found his knowledge lacking and his prices outrageous. Not every shop is a good one.

DimebagDon

Nov 18, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been coin roll hunting dimes for a few years now. Where does a person actually find a real broad struck coin? I have yet to come across one. Don.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scarfed from the hopper after minting & before it gets rolled. inside job that gets into circulation by accident or stolen in a burglary :laughing7:. if the glove doesn't fit________________remember that one :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread