Advice please ($1000 bill)

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was purchasing a bag of nickels from the coin machine at one of my regular weekly stops, one of the tellers informed me that her elderly father was not thinking clearly because of a recent stroke. He had brought some coins to run through the machine and the person helping him noticed some buffalo nickels going through. She assured me that anything I found was mine but she was just letting me know what to expect. I told her that I was not going to take advantage of her situation with her father and would save the buffs for her. (there were 39 of them). She seemed to appreciate it and took her phone out to show me a picture of something else of her father's that she wanted to sell before he had a chance to sell it at face value. It was 2 $500 dollar bills and a $1000 bill. I'm not a currency person but they looked to be excellent in condition and in plastic. She said she wanted me to have the chance to buy them because she trusted me. I'm not sure what to offer and hoped someone here could give me advice.

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had 12 of those $1K's in '84----spent 'em on a '80 Corvette.......

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd advise posting in the paper currencies forum. Good luck

Last edited:

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Take 'em for double face value if they are problem free and AU and you can't go wrong. Also, are they 1928, or 1934? I would love to see pics. If you want to make a quick buck, maybe take them to a coin show or something, but know what you have before you sell them. I would suggest keeping them, but if that's too much money for you to hold on, it's fine to sell them. My dream is to buy one of those from the bank someday, but the odds of that happening are one in a million. I love those notes.

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally if she was a good contact for me in the bank and this is something for her and her father, I would source what she could actually get for the bills.

I would do all the legwork, tell her exactly what they could fetch and buy them for a minimal 5%-10% markup.

She will appreciate the fact that you are being honest with her, and you've made a few bucks for yourself.

This will only benefit you in the long run with access to the god stuff when you need it.

Of course I would love to see what those bills looked like too.

Good luck.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would be skeptical about the situation. If her dad is already dealing with recovering from a stroke, I bet he would be livid to find out those bills were sold. That's a lot of stress. I don't know the situation but I'd be afraid of some sort of legal trouble if he isn't aware they are being sold.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd be wondering about these bills. Do your research!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Personally I would be skeptical about the situation. If her dad is already dealing with recovering from a stroke, I bet he would be livid to find out those bills were sold. That's a lot of stress. I don't know the situation but I'd be afraid of some sort of legal trouble if he isn't aware they are being sold.

so she cared enough to mention the rarer coins possibly in the bag? But is trying to swindle her dad out of the notes? unlikley!

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree its unlikely, just something to think about. Someone in my area did something like that with antique rifles once and it unfortunately got ugly.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I join the consensus----TREAD LIGHTLY-- greed & compassion don't mix well. let some time pass for now

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the impression she was concerned that he would let them go for face value like he did with the coins.
so she cared enough to mention the rarer coins possibly in the bag? But is trying to swindle her dad out of the notes? unlikley!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had heard that only the $100-bill is the only remaining large dem note, and that the $500 & $1000 notes are collector items only, don't know if this a true fact or not!!

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I had heard that only the $100-bill is the only remaining large dem note, and that the $500 & $1000 notes are collector items only, don't know if this a true fact or not!!

The US does not demonetize money, or it only does so on very, very rare occasions, so you can still send a $500 or $1000 bill legally.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Very few if any businesses will accept a $500 or a $1,000 Bill and usually only if the person accepting or the owner of the business wants it for themselves. They can be turned into a Bank which in turn, are supposed to turn them over to the U.S. Treasury or they can be sold to Collectors. The general value factor in most cases is around 2 to 1 Face unless if they are about Extra Fine to Uncirculated or very old and/or rare notes.

Frank

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1K last issued 1934. need series, issuing bank, signatures, serial number & Y/N on star note to estimate value relative to condition. '34's range up to 2X face & 18X face for *notes in VF condition

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions