Someone's marking their checked coin rolls and dumping them at my favorite bank!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought 20 rolls of dimes today and got one silver (1964). Not bad, considering that 10 of the rolls were marked! I'm almost positive that's what's going on here. The marked rolls all had two dashes written on them. I found zero silver in them. I know the odds were against me getting more than one silver in 20 rolls, but I smell a CRH doing business at my favorite bank. Not good!

DSC06497.JPG

Upvote 0

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the world of CRH. We would all like to be the only CRH in our area. However, there are lots of hunters in every area.i could not tell you how many marked rolls I come across.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought 20 rolls of dimes today and got one silver (1964). Not bad, considering that 10 of the rolls were marked! I'm almost positive that's what's going on here. The marked rolls all had two dashes written on them. I found zero silver in them. I know the odds were against me getting more than one silver in 20 rolls, but I smell a CRH doing business at my favorite bank. Not good!

View attachment 1430623

Better get used to it. Your going to get other people's dumps from time to time. It's all part of the game

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's part of the hobby. There are a lot of other CRH'ers out there--no matter the part of the country.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't buy coins at the bank where I dump them or in the same town for that matter.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that means you could be dumping coins at a bank someone else hunts

That's true, you could be frustrating someone at your local bank! Maybe I should mark my rolls as well. How about printing "NG" (no good) on the wrapper? Or better yet,"NS" (no silver). Just a thought...

Poudpapa2013

Mar 31, 2017
Boston, MA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
A few years back I got a pox of Cents from the bank, all had check marks on them if I recall. It was a bunch of EF-MS Cents from 70's and 80's. So you never know what you might find in someone else's rolls.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seems like only a tiny sample. Could be a teller's mark. Keep on 'keepin on!

Good point! I've bought 80 more dime rolls from this bank with no marks on them. I found 2 silver Rosies and a Merc in those rolls, so I'll keep buying there until the well runs dry.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate if someone marks the rolls for me. I'll buy and check the marked coins (or some ) the first time I see a new mark and if I don't find anything I avoid those marks next time. I have avoided hundreds of dollars in dumps this way. I could just as easily miss something good but willing to take the chance and save my operating capital for better odds. I mark my rolls to save me and others the trouble of picking them up and going through them again. It beats them being gone through and not being marked lol. I edge check if I am in a hurry or suspect they have been looked over but people don't check too hard for errors etc.
I just sniped my second dime out of a teller tray. Its a teller that hooks me up so I grabbed a bunch of customer rolls she had and got two more silver dimes from $50. I don't know how the tellers don't grab em up. My vision is terrible but I could see it gleaming from twenty feet away!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate if someone marks the rolls for me. I'll buy and check the marked coins (or some ) the first time I see a new mark and if I don't find anything I avoid those marks next time. I have avoided hundreds of dollars in dumps this way. I could just as easily miss something good but willing to take the chance and save my operating capital for better odds. I mark my rolls to save me and others the trouble of picking them up and going through them again. It beats them being gone through and not being marked lol. I edge check if I am in a hurry or suspect they have been looked over but people don't check too hard for errors etc.
I just sniped my second dime out of a teller tray. Its a teller that hooks me up so I grabbed a bunch of customer rolls she had and got two more silver dimes from $50. I don't know how the tellers don't grab em up. My vision is terrible but I could see it gleaming from twenty feet away!
The tellers here do grab 'em up, 'cause they know they can get 7 times face value on 90%...locally. They won't sell to me because I'm "not a licensed buyer."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread