It Only Took 40 Years

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only took me 40 years to complete my Jefferson Nickel collection from circulation. But last night, when I went through the box of nickels that I got Thursday morning, I finally found my 1950-D. Over the years I've found numerous 1938-D, 1938-S, 1939-D, 1939-S, and 1944-D, but I was always missing that one. It's not to say that I don't have one, I bought one years ago to complete the collection, but now I can say that I've found at least one of every circulation date / mintmark (except the 2017-D, but that will come).
The best part is that it's AU/Uncirculated (at least 2 steps showing). It was in the seventh roll in the box. The sixth roll had a 1950. A couple of rolls later, I got a beautiful 1969-S proof. There were two war nickels in the box. All around a very good box. I was going to attach a picture, but the scans from our printer were terrible.

Scott

Upvote 0

Bb3p

Dec 26, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wtg===i'm about 5 coins away from getting my set complete from circulation.

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great. Any thoughts on how many boxes or rolls you did to complete it?

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I'm only missing the '38S. It's actually a pretty impressive accomplishment if you think about it - even if your collection is not worth a ton of $. An '09 S VDB cent is only about 5x more rare than a '50D nick, mintage wise (obviously many more 50D's were saved). I know old timers who searched for years & years (back when only wheats were circulating) and never found one of those in circulation. I pulled my 50-d from a roll of nickels at work, and it is a nice AU coin too. Ours must've been pulled a long time ago by someone and then somehow made their way back into circulation recently.
Welcome to an elite club!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the milestone! With 40 years of CRHing, I'd be willing to bet that you have made some impressive finds over the years.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. That is a tough one and to be AU makes it even sweeter.
That was also the only one I never found in change growing up. When I was collecting them, it never crossed my mind to look through rolls. I look back now and think of all the missed opportunities. Way to go!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread