Weird statehood Quarter finds

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ya, Hey ya, this old wolf is back to check on her coin roll hunting pack is doing.

Been finding some odd coins recently that the coinstars won't take. They are the USA statehood quarters, 1 wisconsin and another one, can't remember off the top of my head. But the steel or whatever is on the outside of the coin is completely covering it. there is no copper showing along the edges and I haven't seen that before. It's not silver, Doesn't sound like it when I flick it with my fingertip or tap the edge on a table. So not really sure if its just an error coin or something that happens all the time and I haven't seen it like this in years. Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to hear from you GL.

I see a couple of possibilities . . .

Freshly minted clads will sometimes have no copper showing along the edge. The Nickel clad layer is very very thin on the edge when this happens and will eventually wear away. But, for a time, the edge is bright white like the rest of the coin. This explanation would not explain why coinstar does not like it though.

PPL like to play chemist/metallurgist and plate coins for fun (maybe a jeweler having fun). Someone could have plated the qtr with some white metal (nickel, chrome, etc). The resulting "inductance" of such an act could cause coinstar to not like the electronic "signature" of the mod'ed coin.

bubbaslight

Greenie
Mar 17, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab 800, Fisher CZ20, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget, Wisconsin has an error in the corn stalk leaf.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a new quarter like that awhile back as well. It was clearly clad, and didn't look plated at all, just no copper visible. I've also found a few quarters that the coin machines just refused to take, no idea why. They looked and felt just like any other quarter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread