Dump Banks

Dr_Silver

Apr 7, 2017
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fellow CRHs,

Need some input from the veterans out there. I have some questions regarding dump banks. I have been CRH for three years now. I have about ten banks close to me including Sterling National where I order my coins and TD Bank where I dump my coins. All the coins from this area come from Lumis. I am starting to wonder if I am recirculating the same non-silver coins over and over again as I pull the silver ones out.

How do you track your coins to see if you are getting the same ones back?
Do you mark your coins?
Will a dump bank farther away increase my odds of finding silver?
Will it matter anyway, if Lumis seems to service all the local banks?
Will my odds increase if I pick up 4 boxes of halves in one shot versus picking one box up daily for four day?

Thanks,

Dr_Silver

Upvote 0

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
You are just making a big circle if Lumis pickes up and delivers. At least I think that is how it works. I always buy coins from Garda and always dump with Loomis, always, never vary in all the years I have been hunting. I have marked coins years ago, $2,000 worth by painting the edges of the dump coins with bright red paint, have never seen one of my marked coins back.

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
Find out where another carrier delivers and dump there(may be another city). You may have to call a number of banks to find one that has a different carrier. Some advice, keep a significant amount of money with your dump bank.

You will get your same coins back if you buy and dump from the same carrier.

Good luck.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the money pool is an ever changing infinite lifeform. like catching a fish in a lake and expecting to catch the same fish a week later--- ponder this for a minute--- then know there are more coins than people in India-------------- or, you can mark every coin you touch & see how that ends :BangHead:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think outside the box. You're not the only one cashing out coins so someone else could be adding silver. Are you still finding silver?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only real way to guarantee that you're not just recirculating coins is to keep them all! Can't afford to keep this up much longer, but I'm hoarding every dime I've checked! Going to take me awhile to dump off 32,350 dimes! LOL!

DSC06620.JPG

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction, make that 38,350 dimes! I forgot about the 6,000 I haven't re-wrapped yet. Yes, I need help! Can't stop looking!

DSC06622.JPG

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
The only real way to guarantee that you're not just recirculating coins is to keep them all! Can't afford to keep this up much longer, but I'm hoarding every dime I've checked! Going to take me awhile to dump off 32,350 dimes! LOL!

View attachment 1437059

Lol that is smart. I wonder what would happen if I kept $100,000 of my searched halves and dumped them in another city, far, far away. Would that make me pull more silver? I've gotta try this sometime.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Consider using smaller retail business (gas stations, McDonalds, restaurants etc) to make your dime rolled dumps on the things you buy. It's a benefit to you both, dump for you & less buying of coin for them.
I do it quite often. Keep at it, you'll find the right mix.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol that is smart. I wonder what would happen if I kept $100,000 of my searched halves and dumped them in another city, far, far away. Would that make me pull more silver? I've gotta try this sometime

My girlfriend wants to take a road trip to New Hampshire and dump them off up there! She said there's no way she's helping me dump all these dimes off at local banks! Getting embarrassing for her...

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . Are you still finding silver?

This is the only consideration you should use to determine if you should change up your strategy. Unless you do uber-monster volume, you should more concerned that you are downstream of other hunters than being concerned about being downstream of yourself.

If you are finding silver, stick with the program (actually, expand the program - but don't abandon anything you are doing). If you are not finding keepers, you need to change your supply strategy. NOT your dump strategy!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LooseChange makes a great point. I typically give a bank $500 worth of dimes to come up with a silver. No silver, move on to another bank. I also find that banks that have foreign coins mixed in usually have silver coins mixed in as well. Not sure why, but that's the way it is at the banks I use.

OP
OP
D

Dr_Silver

Apr 7, 2017
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am finding silver, but not like the others I'm reading. Everyone other box yields 2-4 silver coins typically 64, proofs, or 40%ers.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LooseChange makes a great point. I typically give a bank $500 worth of dimes to come up with a silver. No silver, move on to another bank. I also find that banks that have foreign coins mixed in usually have silver coins mixed in as well. Not sure why, but that's the way it is at the banks I use.

That's simple. It means they are going through coin counters that don't reject. If they don't reject foreign coins they probably don't reject silver either.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am finding silver, but not like the others I'm reading. Everyone other box yields 2-4 silver coins typically 64, proofs, or 40%ers.

Then you're doing quite well actually. With more volume you would increase your odds of a better box. Mega silver boxes are rare and usually found by high volume searchers. You just have to luck up and find that silver dump when it happens!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing I see in your response. You mentioned silver and proofs. You do know that not all proofs are silver, correct?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread