First Silver Dime from a Loomis MWR and It's a Winner! A 1917 D Merc!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've opened hundreds of those annoying Loomis MWR's and never gotten one silver dime, until today! I scored a 1917 D Merc! It's wafer thin and really worn to heck, but I don't care. It's a Merc and had a relatively low mintage of 9,402,000. Very nice find in my book!

I would have bet the farm that all Loomis rolls were silver free. Guess I would have lost that bet!

DSC06659.JPG DSC06661.JPG

Upvote 0

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering it's age that is a beauty!

Why should Loomis machinery or Coinstar for that matter kick out silver?
I have gone through lots of Loomis rolls looking for wheats with good success. However, their machinery can't count. Some rolls are one or two short. And yes their rolls are a bear to open.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yes their rolls are a bear to open.

Yup, bang them on the table and the end coins stay in the roll! I peel the wrapper open with a knife. Only way I can do it without getting irritated!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
FreeBird: wouldn't it have been PURE LUCK if your first Merc dime was a 1916-D. Soooo close, but only one year away. Congrats.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreeBird: wouldn't it have been PURE LUCK if your first Merc dime was a 1916-D. Soooo close, but only one year away. Congrats.

I'm glad I saw the obverse first! Would have been very stressful to see that worn reverse with part of a "D" showing first!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why should Loomis machinery or Coinstar for that matter kick out silver?

Because they're the incorrect weight. Coinstar machines definitely kick out silver coins. I'll have to weigh this Merc and see if it's close to the weight of a clad Rosie. That might explain how it slipped by the Loomis machines.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just weighed it and the Merc weighs in at 2.30 grams, which is very close to the weight of a clad dime. That would explain how it slipped by their machines.

I don't recall ever getting a foreign coin in a Loomis roll either. But I have found silver and foreign coins in the NF String rolls.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
N F String is ONLY the name of the paper roll manufacturer that MAKES THE ROLL . They have NOTHING to do with filling, counting, touching, or shipping rolls of coins to the banks. That process is usually done by: Brinks, Loomis, Garda, Dunbar, etc.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because they're the incorrect weight. Coinstar machines definitely kick out silver coins. I'll have to weigh this Merc and see if it's close to the weight of a clad Rosie. That might explain how it slipped by the Loomis machines.

It's not the weight, it is the inductance (electrical properties) that causes Coinstar to reject coins of a particular metal alloy.
They use the same technology in vending machines and slot machines to validate coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions