1830 Bust half today!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Went to a pick up bank today to get a few bags of small denomination coins. Standing in line I told the 11 year old "go over and check the machine". This particular machine routinely has misc goodies (barber dime, 3 cent piece, old Canadian silver). When he walked back over he looked like he'd seen a ghost. "Daddy, I found an 1830" "an 1830 what?" I ask not expecting him to say what he said. "An 1830 Bust half!". "Show me" I said and sure as heck he hands over an 1830 Capped Bust half with lettered edge in really nice shape, minus a hole at 10 O'clock. I found 2 Barber halves last month and figured that'd be the pinnacle of 2017 hunting. This is our first half from the 1800's, our oldest dated coin overall (replacing an 1874 IHP) and probably our 3rd most valuable half dollar (staple half, XF Stone Mountain).

Pulled 14 wheats, 3 war nickels, 5 Rosie's and a '27 Merc out of the bags. Also found a 'P' mint set coin in the bag of Pennies, a first for us as well.

This year we've hunted $18,041 worth of halves and have found this Capped Bust, 2 Barbers, 4 Walkers, 2 Franklins, 6 '64 Kens, 47 40%ers and a 2009-S 90%er. Not killing it on oz's but the variety is unbeatable. Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_3793.JPG
    IMG_3793.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3794.JPG
    IMG_3794.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 124
Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Too bad about the hole. Would have been an excellent coin to keep in a flip 2*2. Silver none the less. Nice

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying you found that in a coin counting machine ? In the hopper or the reject area ?either way that is a crazy find !

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is saying it was in the reject tray of a coin counter type machine :)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure, but I think this may be the oldest half ever found on the forum! Nicely done!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Too bad about the hole. Would have been an excellent coin to keep in a flip 2*2. Silver none the less. Nice

Yeah but it would have been worse if it was a "Large Letter" Variety! However, it is not as it has the normal letters but there are 22 other Varieties for the Date of which I have not checked.

Frank

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish that coin could tell us where it's been sitting that made it end up in a coin machine reject tray in 2017. Unbelievable what people will put through a coin machine. Nice find and I think this might be the oldest half found on this coin hunting forum!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Are you saying you found that in a coin counting machine ? In the hopper or the reject area ?either way that is a crazy find !

Thanks, Yes it was found in a coin counting machine. It was in the hopper sitting on the counting wheel but never made it into the sorting mechanism or into the reject chute or tray.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Yeah but it would have been worse if it was a "Large Letter" Variety! However, it is not as it has the normal letters but there are 22 other Varieties for the Date of which I have not checked.

Frank

Frank - the coin looked and felt good to me but just in-case I stopped at my coin store on the way home and it tested at 90% and he confirmed, as you did, that it's not a large letter variety. Thanks

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I'm not sure, but I think this may be the oldest half ever found on the forum! Nicely done!
Thanks. The 11 year old said this morning, "I guess now we have to find one from the 1820's!" Yes we do buddy.

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a reject find of a lifetime right there! I hate when the machines reject my bust halves....

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score!! I love holed coins... don't know why. I guess it gives it a bit more character. If someone put in the effort to drill that thing, I will take the time to appreciate the effort, I guess.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too bad that kid can't buy lottery tickets, seems like that would have been the day to try!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hole or no Hole, that is an amazing find!!!! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread