Silver skunks and consolation prizes

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searched 1 box of Loomis MWR halves - skunk.
2nd box of Loomis MWR halves - no silver but did find 9 clad proofs, a 87P and a 87D, and 8 NIFCs including a 2016D not previously in the collection.

This is only the second time I have found an 87. These 2 did have some circulation wear so they look like they've been 'out there' for some time.
They were only produced in Mint Sets and I guess there is not much reason for someone to break up Mint Sets ... I suppose there is a reasonable explanation for breaking up Proof Sets, I have found a decent number of proof halves in roll hunting (even an 87S this time).

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mint sets and proof sets get broken up for a couple of reasons. Mainly, there is a certain type of collector/seller thats looking for the highest grade specimens to sell or collect. They buy many, many sets, pick out the ones worthy of being sent in for grading and simply dump the rest. One coin that grades MS70 or PF70 makes it all worthwhile as they can bring quite the premium. Also, thieves will bust up a set thinking its much less likely to get caught with the goods that way. Back in the day, I'm sure a few kids broke up Daddy's sets for candy/baseball card money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread