1983 cent QUESTION:

ICETEK

Feb 3, 2016
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the only 1983 cent that gives me 2.0 the rest give 2.5/2.4 is that normal.

20170515_093854.jpg

Upvote 0

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250, Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be a partial copper? do some research on them, I watched a video about them today

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were a few copper ones produced accidentally but I believe they would be 3g. That's pretty weird.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Icetek, it would be best if you could supply as much information about the coin as possible if you want to get any useful feedback. I see you took a pic with it on a scale which is good; but, please also show a pic of the reverse and any info on where you found it (beach, parking lot, crhing, etc). My guess would be that it is a normal 83' zinc coin that has had some material eroded from it (as Tommybuckets mentioned there is the case of transitional error 83' Lincolns but they would weigh 3.1 so that is not what you are seeing here). If you found this at the beach this would probably support my guess regarding erosion wear. The front looks like it has some wear and I'm guessing the back will show some wear as well. I have seen zinc pennies come in as low as 2.3 on my scale with just normal circulation wear.
I'm assuming that you have verified your scale by weighing other pennies to verify that it does not show a variance in its measurements. So if the scale is good, at this point, I can only guess that environmental erosion wear or something similar is what is causing the penny in question to weigh what you see; but, you would need to provide us with more information to get a better response.

Thanks and Happy Hunting!
-TwoYewts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread