Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently did a competition coin roll hunt with my brother and I found this coin. As you can see, there is a nice little conglomerate of extra material sitting neatly on top of Lincoln's head. Thoughts?

Screenshot (186).png

If you'd like to see the full hunt, here's the link to the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNRet8Z3q0g

We have a lot of fun making these, so I hope you'll enjoy it!

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not a cud. Could be a chip, but looks odd to me, almost like slag. See if it will pop off easily.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not a cud. Could be a chip, but looks odd to me, almost like slag. See if it will pop off easily.

I was not aware that there were so many different terms for "extra material". What distinguishes a cud from a slag, etc?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuds are breaks on the edge of the die. Die chips are smaller areas on the inner die. A larger area inside the die with cracks and a design shift are called"interior die breaks". Slag generally won't be found on athought, nless someone tampers with it. Giving it more thought, it could simply be glue on the coin. Soak it in acetone and see if it disappears.
There! I didn't even use a video! Sorry part of that is that I have more coin knowledge in my little finger than 95% of the people doing videos. It's not bragging if it's true.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rereading your second post, you mentioned extra metal. None of these things I described have anything to do with extra metal. That may be what's confusing you. It's just areas broken away and the metal fills the void where the design should be.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have more coin knowledge in my little finger than 95% of the people doing videos. It's not bragging if it's true.

I don't think it's a question of whether it's true or not that makes it a brag. I think it's all in the phrasing. And I don't claim to know more than the average collector. I'm not ashamed to ask questions either; that's how you learn.

One skill that good video producers have that a lot of coin experts don't is the ability to put this stuff in layman's terms, making the information accessible to more people. Im working on a lot of projects in the background to accomplish this.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with layman's terms is that people keep using them instead of learning correct terms. I've watched a few videos and most come out with titles like "you could have a $60,000 coin in your coin jar". People watching these videos can't comprehend and think every coin they have is worth a lot. Don't believe me, read the comments at the bottom of the video. They don't have a clue. People watching these videos think they are gonna get rich quick.
Then there are the videos that people are commenting with questions and the op won't answer. Let's not forget the young man telling people they might have an Atari game maybe worth $50,000. Then they point out only 5 were made. Sensationalist titles to pull people to watch mediocre videos that aren't informative at all. I'm just sayin. More power to you, but there are no layman's terms, only the correct ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread