Helping out the hobby

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a lot of coins from a guy at face value. Mainly all common date stuff or no date buffalo nickels. Pick out all I care to keep. Going to dump everything else later today. Lot of wheat pennies but I don't have time to mess with any of the stuff.

Somebody in Fort Myers Florida is going to be a happy dude.

View attachment 1459816
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496844295.167926.jpg

Upvote 0

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to sort through them and keep the good coins. I see an Indian head penny in the middle of the pile, and I think I also see a silver dime. It is well worth the time to look at them all. Good luck.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand not having time for wheaties. All you have to do is save them.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I had that pile of "junk"_____________I would go to Walmart and buy a machine that "MAKES TIME" :laughing7:

why waste "time" findin' an '09-sVDB, key date IH, any CUD, or die clash , or silver anything, or _________________________________ :dontknow: :BangHead:

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no key dates. No silver. A 1902 Indian and no date buffalo. No date V nickel. $255 in change that can be spent on better stuff. All the wheat stuff was 40-50s stuff.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a silver half at the top of the photo.?

It was a 72. I got excited when I saw it too.

This lady had a ton of old Nickels, probably five rolls of silver dimes. She also had $150 in change she could not carry so I took it all to the bank for her. I've been sitting on it for probably six months after I went through it all. They were $60 in Eisenhower dollars as well. No silver $1 . Only 2- 65 half dollars. I still have the older nickels.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496858998.445229.jpg

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This the difference between a coin roll hunter that does it for a hobby, and a coin roll hunter who is out to try and make a quick buck or two....seems this forum is filling up with more hunters who are out to make a few bucks vs hunters who do it for a hobby. Just my opinion tho...

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was dumping these for the collector out there? A couple hundred old coins back in circulation. Thought that would be a good thing.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
seems this forum is filling up with more hunters who are out to make a few bucks vs hunters who do it for a hobby. Just my opinion tho...

I agree with you in general, but don't think that applies in this case.

There's no key dates. No silver. A 1902 Indian and no date buffalo. No date V nickel. $255 in change that can be spent on better stuff. All the wheat stuff was 40-50s stuff.

He DID go through the coins, looked for silver, key dates, etc. Identified the wheats and chose not to keep them, in fact turning them loose back into circulation. What's the issue?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Justin...
I suggest BOA, down town,
regions in NFM,
Or Wells Fargo, either downtown, or Colonial.
Let me know.... I'll be the guy in line behind you.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Go for it - sounds like you got what you want. The wheats can sometimes get you 2 cents a piece at the LCS but they probably aren't after the later ones. The dateless buffalos are always worth raising the date especially if they have a mint mark. Myself I am in this for both the money and the hobby and have cashed in a few times for spending money.

Maine_Jim

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong, you want to dump coins back out there for others to find, that's great and I agree with that. I make time for dateless Buffalo's, wheats, Indian Heads and AG. I also dump my unwanted coins, like older Jefferson, possibly errors ( I don't look for them ), AU coins...I wish I was in that area because I'd meet up with you and buy all that change off you for face value.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading this thread I think the OP may have been talking about the hobby of numismatics as well as the CRH hobby.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suncoast credit union on colonial Boulevard by Treeline

Ugh.
Thanks anyways...I'm on this side of the RR track construction.... promised myself not to get hung up in that mess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread