enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my banks uss looomis exclusively, and they have all skunks for 2-3 months....is this regional, as I am in Texas........

Everything is regional. There isn't some large warehouse in the middle of the country. Everywhere is different.

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Teknetics Patriot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we have seen a rash of wheat cents in bank rolls for the last month or so.

Getting 1-2 wheats per roll on average. Before this recent run, it was more like one wheat per 6 rolls searched.

Figure someone in Southern Oregon cashed grandpa's mason jars of wheat pennies and they are making their way into circulation.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything is regional. There isn't some large warehouse in the middle of the country. Everywhere is different.

I second what enamel said. Find another source for now (if you want) but be aware that things with your original bank can change at any time. I've pushed through a skunk streak of 30 boxes which ultimately led to my best box ever...from the same bank.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I second what enamel said. Find another source for now (if you want) but be aware that things with your original bank can change at any time. I've pushed through a skunk streak of 30 boxes which ultimately led to my best box ever...from the same bank.

That sounds like someone was culling silver at the sorting facility and tried to load a box to pick up themselves later! Swing and a miss from them, nice score for you!

Jyorsky, it is definitely regional. Maybe you're dumping into your own supply and getting your own searched coins back? Or another hunter is/was dumping into your supply, that's usually what's happening.

silverhound74

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I`m Loomis in WI, and it ebbs n flows.. 6-8 skunk boxes, then 1-2 here and there, and then 5-6, sometimes up to almost 30 out of a box... then it dies again, only to repeat.... Over time I have *gasp* marked some really trashed coins **after checking for any errors/valued dates** with my backwoods trail marking slash, and have been getting them back occassionally for over a year now... Also along with lots of silver fwiw...

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all couriers are the same_______________

what changes is the adding & removal of coins in an infinite amount----pretty much a flowing body of water.

residents, travelers & space aliens all giving and taking coins by the millions every second of every day--- in all 57 states :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:--- even :dontknow: corpse men :dontknow:taking part & crazy women barking in the woods :tongue3:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like someone was culling silver at the sorting facility and tried to load a box to pick up themselves later! Swing and a miss from them, nice score for you!

That's a very likely scenario. I had lots of weird runs and situations when I was CRHing. I remember my first bank, it was a small regional and I was ordering halves. I got blank after blank for weeks and finally turned them in to a dump bank and began ordering elsewhere. I eventually found out that the main/parent branch (where all the coins where being machine rolled) was allowing the security guards to CRH all the halves. I've also heard of situations where regional couriers allow employees to cull silver, despite company policy. The most important thing to remember is all things in the banking industry change. There's lots of turnover from tellers to managers. If a bank won't work with you, give it a few months and try again. Also, when a good thing turns sour... don't throw a fit. Give it a break and try it again in 6 months. I learned this lesson the hard way.

OO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread