Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on #1.

I'm not 100% that this is what you do, but you cannot effectively roll hunt nickels by looking only at the rims. You'll have to date search each coin separately.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on #1.

I'm not 100% that this is what you do, but you cannot effectively roll hunt nickels by looking only at the rims. You'll have to date search each coin separately.

What Arkie said. You can't edge search nickels.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome! Congratulations on your newest addiction. I've never searched nickels but have found a war nickel in the wild.

Listen to the advice from some of the old pros on here. They are generally a great bunch of people that are willing and eager to help get you going; even though it means that helping you potentially increases the competition they'll have to tolerate to continue CRH themselves.

Happy Hunting!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spread the roll inside the cover of a large hard cover book, look them over with my X12 magnifier and pick out anything good I see. Then I shut the book flip it over and view the other side of the coins. Then I count them off in groups of five, put a handful of twenty in the tube, then twenty more and mark it so I and other hunters know its been picked.Then repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat... You would miss any rotated dies but everything else can be discovered. Edge checking nickels doesn't seem like an effective way to do it. Best luck!

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
With nickels, look at the date. Granted as the war nickel moves on it does turn brown because of the silver. I've been collecting since 1963 and look at the dates. War nickels that are not circulated still look like they just came from the mint. And I have found them. If a collector passes, the family sees rolled coin and says, "I want the cash." They turn them in for cash. If you rim search, you'll miss it and I will remove it for my collection. Come to Papa.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really does no good to mark rolls so other people know they've been searched. Wrappers get reused many time over. Many a searcher here has found silver in marked rolls!

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You talk about "marked wrappers". I opened at CWR of halves years ago. The sides of the halves had been marked with a felt pen, meaning "I searched them". I look at dates. Sure enough there was a 1964 Kennedy in the roll. Granted, the rim was very dirty and looked like copper. It's in my collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread