Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet where and how did you get it? Give us the story first time poster.
Welcome aboard

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to burst your bubble but that's not a doubled die. It is MD, or machine doubling. The key pickup point is the mint mark. The mint marks were punched into the dies by hand in those days. Thus a doubled die wouldn't have a doubled mint mark.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Joshy; but have to agree with enamel7. From the pics it looks like you have machine doubling there and not a doubled die. Do a quick google search on machine doubling vs. doubled die and you will come across many links from collecting resources that will include images that illustrate the differences.

Best of luck,
TwoYewts

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
When I started looking for errors, I knew nothing of machine doubling. The more I learned about the minting process, the easier it was to spot machine doubling vs. doubled dies. Even today, I can make a mistake in identification.

Based on your images, which are very poor in detail, I see signs of machine doubling. It could easily be the result of the bad lighting and the handheld camera or cellphone you are using.

If you are going to be taking a lot of close up images, please invest in any good device to keep your camera immobile. A good macro setting or lens would also be a plus. Lastly, experiment with lighting. Good lighting, combined with the above suggestions can make details pop.

Time for iced coffee.

OP
OP
J

Joshy78

Jun 21, 2017
Holland Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ...dont i feel stupid ..lol..i was just looking for some friendly advice..apparently the title was over looked were it says ....I THINK......I FOUND A DD ..and if i had extra money for a nice quality camera i probally would not be posting pics with my boost phone sorry for the poor quality.....i will not post again until i buy a camera lol ....no worrys. Yall and no offense ta anybody just feel like i was slammed for asking a question..god bless...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You weren't slammed. Matter of fact I said sorry you didn't have one. Please try not to take replies negatively. We were just letting you know what you actually have.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a good idea on what a true double die looks like, Google the 1955 double die cent, and the 1974D double die Kennedy half. These will show the separated serifs, and give you a better idea what to look for. HH

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a good idea on what a true double die looks like, Google the 1955 double die cent, and the 1974D double die Kennedy half. These will show the separated serifs, and give you a better idea what to look for. HH
Doubled die.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ...dont i feel stupid ..lol..i was just looking for some friendly advice..apparently the title was over looked were it says ....I THINK......I FOUND A DD ..and if i had extra money for a nice quality camera i probally would not be posting pics with my boost phone sorry for the poor quality.....i will not post again until i buy a camera lol ....no worrys. Yall and no offense ta anybody just feel like i was slammed for asking a question..god bless...

The tone around here very often comes across as dismissive. I would find it frustrating as well.

That said, I think everyone who replied is genuinely helpful - if not always tactful. Don't be discouraged.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perception is however someone chooses to read it. That's the problem with the written word, it's difficult to read emotions. I read nothing in the previous posts that was meant as an attack.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using my phone camera, I've found that a coffee mug or small box make an adequate tripod to flesh out more details

CoinRoller

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2016
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I would have taken exception to the whole "burst your bubble" thing. The point could have - and should have - been made without it. His response to it was warranted.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I would have taken exception to the whole "burst your bubble" thing. The point could have - and should have - been made without it. His response to it was warranted.

As I said, people read into things what they choose to. It wasn't said with excitement, it was given with regret. So as you can see even you don't understand. Please stop trying to make someone a bad guy when I was just giving info. His title says it all, he was looking for confirmation so I gave him the answer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread