Coinstar Hunting Tips and Tricks

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unfortunately no silver but im glad I read this thread and will use this tactic until I can develop a relationship with some service people from the stores...
The only problem I have with this tactic is the fact you can't do it multiple times lol.... without some people getting irritated! I may give it a try both ways and see what works.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once again Monstarules is right on! I called Coinstar and talked with Customer Service Rep "Timothy". He confirmed that their machines will take small dollar coins but will not not take the large ones. He said there are 3 places the large dollar coins could end up: Dirt Tray, Dirt Cup, or some kind of hopper above the Dirt Cup. Sometimes this hopper gets jammed with coins while the coins are being fed in on top. Coins in these 3 areas were not counted by the machine and belong to "the customer" (assuming the customer knows to ask for them). I guess it's possible I had 2 small dollar coins in my pouch along with my other "throw down" coins as I did go through some Sacs earlier that day. I will go back by this store and request that the Customer Rep open the machine to retrieve my 2 Ikes. Will definitely ask for any all coins other coins that got "lost" in the machine.

Okay, here's my update. As promised I went back to the store and convinced the Customer Service Manager that I lost 2 Ikes in the Coinstar. He found them for me in the Dirt Cup. There was a quarter there too but because I told him I lost 2 Ikes that was that. Yesterday, I tried $1 in cents and 2 Ikes at a different store. Naturally, the Ikes did not get credited. The Manager opened up the machine and found 4 Ikes in the Dirt Cup (mine plus 2 other clads) and a few other coins. I asked for all of the coins in the Dirt Cup and a bunch sitting on the floor under the machine and she gave me the whole batch (I'm getting better at this). The picture is of the entire haul, the far right dime is a 64. Hopefully going forward, I can ask this Manager to let me "rescue" uncounted coins from this machine!

Attachments

• HEB Coinstar Inside Machine Haul.jpg
    HEB Coinstar Inside Machine Haul.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 333

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only problem I have with this tactic is the fact you can't do it multiple times lol.... without some people getting irritated! I may give it a try both ways and see what works.

Spartcom5 - You are right. You can't really keep doing this unless you happen to catch a different Customer Service Manager. I like the idea Monstarules has about developing a relationship with the Manager and asking for access to the Dirt Cup without the trickeration of dumping some "throw down" coins with a few Ikes. But, I do think the "throw down" technique will get you into the Dirt Cup every time. It's a toss up whether or not you can persuade the Manager to give you all the other coins in the Dirt Cup or on the floor. Telling them they are not counted is a persuasive argument but it might not work every time. I'm headed to southern California next week and plan to take plenty of Ikes and cents and will hit every Coinstar I can! Will let you all know how it works out.....

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at least once a month I take a day trip and bank hop all day.. I may add a few stops to see what crumbles I can find with some coinstar machines...

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at least once a month I take a day trip and bank hop all day.. I may add a few stops to see what crumbles I can find with some coinstar machines...

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I tried at one store today and the lady I asked didn't even know how to open the machine and didn't know who would know lol. I will try again though...

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, that's an interesting one. I was actually allowed to open the machine myself at a store too.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried again today at two stores. The first store the manager knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do. I just straight up ask customer service if I can get into the dirt cup and it works fine with some flaws, I always say I am collecting lost and foreign coins. The manager made me PAY HIM for the Ike that was in the cup which is odd because he basically pocketed a dollar...... Not complaining since if it was a peace or morgan he would've given it to me but I called coin star later today and they should I should have just been able to take it for free. The next store opened it up but worried about giving me the 40 cents in the cup lol it's no big deal but still they said it was the store's property and they had never done it before.

At this point I feel like I am just giving some people good ideas for themselves to do instead lol....... Even if I used the Ike tactic I would only be able to take the large dollars for free and nothing else.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . I called coin star later today and they should I should have just been able to take it for free. . .

This type of feedback is what will cause Coinstar to implement a policy against the store being able use discretion in disposing of the dirt cup. It is akin to a hunter complaining to the bank management because a bag of dimes short $4.90

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar is unable to say no because the stuff there is not counted, and whatever is not counted is worthless to the machine, and if this became a rule that the stores could not allow the machine to be opened, a lot more people who didn't know would find out the machines have been taking and culling items. People also lose items in the machines on accident and it would not be beneficial for them to send out a guy every time someone lost a big dollar coin, a necklace, or earrings. It also wouldn't be good if they have to send someone out just to empty the dirt tray. Besides, what is not counted is worthless to them. They are aware that big coins get tossed in there. It just would not benefit Coinstar to refuse access. What is defined as "in the machine" means in the boxes of the machines. They cannot claim things from the dirt cup because it is rejected, and whatever is rejected is free game.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This type of feedback is what will cause Coinstar to implement a policy against the store being able use discretion in disposing of the dirt cup. It is akin to a hunter complaining to the bank management because a bag of dimes short $4.90
Well the girl at the grocery store was going to call anyways. The guy on the phone told me that they throw whatever is in the cup away so anyone can take it. They wouldn't implement a new policy for "trash". If anything the people who work at the store will now just take whatever is there for themselves, not much you can do about that. Even if I deposited big dollars and then asked for everything in the cup they'd still catch on and take it for themselves next time.

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar is unable to say no because the stuff there is not counted, and whatever is not counted is worthless to the machine, and if this became a rule that the stores could not allow the machine to be opened, a lot more people who didn't know would find out the machines have been taking and culling items. People also lose items in the machines on accident and it would not be beneficial for them to send out a guy every time someone lost a big dollar coin, a necklace, or earrings. It also wouldn't be good if they have to send someone out just to empty the dirt tray. Besides, what is not counted is worthless to them. They are aware that big coins get tossed in there. It just would not benefit Coinstar to refuse access. What is defined as "in the machine" means in the boxes of the machines. They cannot claim things from the dirt cup because it is rejected, and whatever is rejected is free game.

Well the girl at the grocery store was going to call anyways. The guy on the phone told me that they throw whatever is in the cup away so anyone can take it. They wouldn't implement a new policy for "trash". If anything the people who work at the store will now just take whatever is there for themselves, not much you can do about that. Even if I deposited big dollars and then asked for everything in the cup they'd still catch on and take it for themselves next time.

The point is, complaining to CoinStar about not getting what is supposed to be free trash because the store employee got it instead (and then sold it to you) is not going to help anyone.

You can be sure that Coinstar has rules that the store is expected to follow. If I were a CoinStar decision maker and heard that random people were complaining that they were not allowed to have the trash or that a store employee was selling the trash on the spot with the machine door open, I would think about writing a policy against it. Whether or not a store could be forced to (or would choose to) strictly follow that policy is debatable. What is not debatable is that it would be better if no such policy were in place.

Complaining about such things is rarely the right course of action.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I didn't complain to them about not getting it, I just asked if the change in the dirt cup was for whoever to take. I didn't call and say she didn't give me the change, that'd be ridiculous since it was like 30 cents lolol not gonna make a fuss because of that, now had there been a couple peace dollars or morgans is there then maybe I would haha.

I re read my last post a I worded it weirdly, regardless I didn't call to complain because I couldn't have 30 cents or whatever.

Tried again today regardless, 2 stores straight up just didn't want to even open the machine (even if I deposited Ikes which thankfully I didn't said they wouldn't open it for any reason and coinstar would have to come), and the third opened it for me (she was really nice) and gave me some strange Indian coin but all the loose change she put into some jar on the inside side of the door. I guess for the coinstar guys to take and pocket for themselves. Anyone see this jar before?

Last edited:

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I didn't complain to them about not getting it, I just asked if the change in the dirt cup was for whoever to take. I didn't call and say she didn't give me the change, that'd be ridiculous since it was like 30 cents lolol not gonna make a fuss because of that, now had there been a couple peace dollars or morgans is there then maybe I would haha.

I re read my last post a I worded it weirdly, regardless I didn't call to complain because I couldn't have 30 cents or whatever.

Tried again today regardless, 2 stores straight up just didn't want to even open the machine (even if I deposited Ikes which thankfully I didn't said they wouldn't open it for any reason and coinstar would have to come), and the third opened it for me (she was really nice) and gave me some strange Indian coin but all the loose change she put into some jar on the inside side of the door. I guess for the coinstar guys to take and pocket for themselves. Anyone see this jar before?

Never seen a jar before. Looks like the manager there is collecting everything for themselves

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a jar before. Looks like the manager there is collecting everything for themselves
LOL.... yea it was legit just a glass jar in the door with tons of coins in it. At least $5+ worth, the lady scooped up all the coins inside the dirt tray and cup and put them right into it without hesitation. Interesting.

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten in that before. I actually mentioned that here on the first page. I've gotten silver in there before.

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every machine Ive seen open had that large cup on the door. I've had a few managers let me go thru the coins and swap out whatever I took..best find was my 1st find..a morgan!! Then it was mostly silver dimes for whatever reason. BUT THEN the store manager caught wind of it and didn't like what was going down so but it was great while it lasted...had 3 stores like that but all came to an end. This thread has got me thinking again about asking to get in the machine..good relationships is the best way

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1476592 View attachment 1476593 View attachment 1476594 Okay, tried my "technique" while visiting my In-Laws in southern CA, $0.50 in cents plus 2 crappy Ike's. Manager opened up the Coinstar and looked in Dirt Cup. She pulled out 5 large dollar coins, my 2 Ike's plus 3 others. One had a silver edge. I did not bother asking for the few remaining small coins. Casually checked out the silver coin and nearly fainted when I saw the 1885 Morgan in great shape! Second store - Manager was all business. Handed me my 2 Ike's and said "No" when I asked for the coins on the floor. Thanked her and left. Third store - Manager retrieved my 2 Ike's, I asked for the rest of the coins in the Dirt Cup and she dumped the entire contents in my bag. Here are the pics. Thanks Monstarules!

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the rescues. Currently cannot see the pictures but I am glad you got some nice rescues. I just got 2 brilliant Ikes today, I will post pics later!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread