Good week coin wrangling. A herd of Boffalo, solid roll and one more silver dollar

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I had a good week in a few short crazy hunts last week. The recap-
I stopped by a bank I usually avoid because I had gotten the impression it has a heavy hitting resident sniper. Well that impression was strongly reinforced. I asked if she had any half dollars, big dollars or anything unusual. " Yes, yes, yes I do! A lady brought me a whole big collection! I bought it all out of my drawer." The teller said with a smile as she gestured toward the vault.
As usual my heart sank and I remembered why I only dump and never pick up at banks with proud snipers. Then something happened that blew my mind. She says " Well since I got so many I figure I might as well share."
She dumped out an envelope and handed over 32 Buffalo!!! She was rather candid as I asked her questions on the size and disposition of the coins she had gotten. I gave her my number, got her (office) number and told her if she wanted to sell or was curious about what she had I would be happy to research and appraise her new coins. She is a hoarder and just socks the stuff away, in no rush to sell unless silver gets up there or she needs some money.
Next stop was equally weird. I ask if they have any half dollars and the teller says one of the things I hate to hear-" Why yes, how many would you like? "
I explained that I usually buy them all. The teller says " Well we have $3000. "
"Three thousand?!!" I say, "Did somebody die? I didn't bring my big wallet today." The clerk laughed and said a guy came in with a palette jack full of coins in boxes. I asked about the disposition of the rolls and said I'll buy $40 assuming it was a big old dump. She comes out with two CWRs and 2 MWRs with the ends folded over. I call these pre searched rolls because somebody's done all the hard and fun work for you, you can just take em and dump em. I ask if they have any more CWRs and I could tell she was done dealing with me. I walked out to the car and opened the first CWR. Dud, opened the second and saw that full silver roll smiling back at me! WTF??? I headed back in to talk with her but she was coming out the door to lunch. I just had to take what I got n not pitch a fit. I then asked another branch of the same bank and thay said " Sure how many do you want?"
Ugh, "How much you got? "
"Five thousand!"
" In factory boxes?" I ask.
"Yup, and we told him we aren't going to order him any more when he brought them all back."
Sounds like a newbie poacher is messing up the half dollar order for me and other hunters in my area. The worst is that this will dump right back into my MWR pool creating an $8000 dollar long dead zone and many skunk boxes in a row. I have a feeling this is the same hunter who recently got cut off from a different bank for doing the same pick up and dump at the same chain. I was just starting to synch my dumps to him and now its getting ugly. If you are reading this read the basics and rules of CRHing you dummy! Sorry had to vent.
Last stop was a bank I had forfeited to another hunter since it is simply too far to get to. I called and they said they had big dollars and half dollars. I jumped in the car and made the trek to the pickup. The teller began opening the envelope with the big dollars to recount them but I stopped her and said "I trust you on the count." I was worried she would open it and others would see and desire any goodies. I was not disappointed. I got just two 40% halves in a roll but got a first for me. I got an ASE. I have heard of this happening but it is my first. While I prefer Morgans I'll take it. So the Buffalo are divided into dated obverse on the left and undated right and reverse. Happy hunting to all.

Attachments

• IMGbuffalo.jpg
    IMGbuffalo.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • IMGhalfroll.jpg
    IMGhalfroll.jpg
    872.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMGase.jpg
    IMGase.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
Upvote 0

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a good week of hunting, congrats! Especially on the ase. Ive gotten 3 peace dollars and a morgan all on separate occasions, but never an ase. Nice score!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread