Summer vs winter

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most people see it as a sport to do when its cold outside. I havent done much lately due to summer sports.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say that's because most CRHers are also MDers. Hard to MD in the winter which allows for more time to CRH. Summer comes along and we are itching to get outside and do some dirt fishin'

:)

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historically, the spring has been my best time for finds. March and April have been my hottest months for silver finds going back for years.

This year has changed that. While my volume searched is admittedly lower, I just haven't been hitting any silver veins at all really.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a combination of factors. The silver flow into the bank does seem to slow down in the summer. I think its because people are on vacation and not in their normal routine and definitely not cleaning out attics and crawl spaces where old coinage hides out. I find from now through early September to be the worst but I keep at it. Its too hot and the ground is too dry to detect until the next rain. I need to find some water sites to hit. I need to waterproof my old black Garret pinpointer. I have the carrot which did not stay waterproof.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys, now I don't feel so bad about the poor results. As little as it is, I'll keep stacking. HH, DozerD

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think its because in the summer the ground is baked dry and you don't get as deep on silver, But detecting in the winter the ground is nice and moist which allows the silver to give off a better halo so you'll find more and deeper as well. HH

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its because in the summer the ground is baked dry and you don't get as deep on silver, But detecting in the winter the ground is nice and moist which allows the silver to give off a better halo so you'll find more and deeper as well. HH

The discussion is on coin roll hunting, not detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread