What would you do??

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few days ago Zomo post after hunting he finds some cash.. In a way that happened to me, but for a brief moment. I went to get my weekly box of halves.. Found nothing so I roll it and pack it along with some other rolls of halves I had to another bank for a payment.. Teller says u came to make a payment and I said yes. She counts it and says oh I just need XXX amount from you... I give her the cash and hands me my receipt and walk out.. get in car and I check pockets and noticed I had an extra 100 dollars cash. I swore I counted 57 rolls of halves and she counted 67. For a brief moment I was like.. I could use this money.. Instead my conscience got to me and I walk back in and asked her to count the rolls because I feel she counted an extra 100.00 Teller counts them again and sure enough she counted wrong.. I gave her the money and I get a thanks from her telling me not a lot of people would've gone back in.. So for a brief moment I found 100.00. What would you do in that situation?

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Karma will always prevail. You did the right thing and probably made a new friend at the bank. Good luck.

OP
OP
Oquario79

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it makes a difference the payment i made was not even for me but for my gf and the receipt shows payment in full.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I always do the right thing, It was a mistake and needed to be corrected. You did the right thing too.

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep right thing to do. Feels good right?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do the same thing you did, without a second thought. Kudos to you my friend.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Finding money in the middle of a parking lot, where you have no idea who the proper owner is one thing.
If you do know, you should return the money. In this case you did know and did the right thing!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did what any decent person with a conscience would have done.....I would have done the same thing. One thing to knowingly keep what is not your and quite another to find something with no idea where it came from..... Congratulations!!!!!!!

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have gotten too much change at a store and gave it back to the cashier because not only is it the right thing to do but I worked retail for a lot of years and know it doesn't come easy for the one that made the mistake. You did a very good thing and down the road it will come back to you one way or another. HH

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been handed $25 dollar rolls instead of half dollar rolls, could've easily walked out knowing it was wrong. Never would though....I'd feel horrible and thinking that teller could lose their job for it just wouldn't be worth it. I think in this hobby we build good, or great relationships with tellers and that is a prime example. Good on you mate for doing the right thing. I'm still on Zomo's side for keeping the dough. Coke rules!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing you did. What really annoys me is going back into the grocery store to pay for the 79 cent item than slipped into the cart which we couldn't see at checkout.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teller could have had a real bad day -----a Hun light on the count--- meet Mr. Poly & his buddy Graph,

empty the purse,
even worse---- the strip search :BangHead: :sad11:

now ya made a new friend :laughing7:

integrity is a vanishing virtue :dontknow:

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the right thing to do in that situation because you KNEW who's it was whereas Zomo didn't and couldn't have known....

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like all have said there is a big difference knowing who the money belongs to and not knowing. Good on you for returning the hundo back to the teller. Doing things like this I believe will always pay in the end, whether its just having a guilt free conscious, or the teller looking out for your interests.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I have helped many a teller out with coin computations even when they are trying to give me too much money lol. I have also sadly been shorted $50 once when I was in too much of a hurry to notice. Now I always check my change for errors both ways. Theres one store where I and everyone I know gets shorted a bit on change but I always call them out on it and they play dumb but fix it. Now they see me coming and count correct lol.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually double check everything before I leave the counter, but have done the same as you in the past. I would also be inclined to wear those pants more often as the pockets may be growing money...

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to see that honestly prevailed over the usual "I'm gonna stick it to the institution" attitude.

Not that $100.00 would directly affect us, but the more errors and "free money" given away by banks and retailers, only means in the long run that we pay more.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have done the exact same thing you did. Congrats on doing the right thing.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
You did the right thing there although for me, it depends on the situation.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice gesture sir! Good for you cause she would have lost her job!! Karma comes around :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions