1972 Double Die Lincoln Cent Unopened Bank Rolls *NOT A JOKE*

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Serious question, and a conundrum I've found myself in:

I recently inherited 3 BRAND NEW UNOPENED $50 Bank Boxes of 1972-P Lincoln cents. Yes, thats 300 NEW rolls of potential '72 DDO! How do errors like these usually work? Could I potentially find entire rolls of error coins or would there maybe be a handful spaced out throughout the boxes? Pics available upon request.

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
You probably won't find handfuls, you might get lucky and find one, but your best bet is probably to open a few rolls to search and confirm that they're all 1972-P basically uncirculated, then sell them as such. It looks like uncirculated 1972 rolls are averaging about $5 per roll on eBay.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup, what FT said. gotta figger-- how many coins went in the hopper for rollin' & how many were struck with the same set of dies and landed in those boxes. will you catch all trophy fish-------------- or all minnows. :dontknow: ??? :laughing7: :sad11:

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My suggestion would be to open the rolls that have reverse enders and sell the rolls that have obverse enders. Its harder for people to believe they are receiving rolls of 72' P if they don't see an ender with the date shown. And this way you can take a shot of possibly landing yourself a nice error with the rolls you open. :)

Best of luck!

-TwoYewts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread