Dumping changes

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I hunt 2 half boxes a week and roughly 2 each penny, nickel and dime a month. Not a ton of volume. I dump primarily at 5 different branches of the same large national bank. Generally ~$500 or so a pop. Very good relationship with all branches. I have been here for 2 years and haven't yet shown ID one time. Coins in, cash in hand, thank you have a nice day. There are other hunters who dump at same branches (often 6-8 empty half boxes next to the machine - nice work fella's). Saw a sign today that starting in a couple of weeks all coin counter activity will need to be deposited then withdrawn. I have 3 savings accounts here, one for me, 2 for kids but don't do much banking otherwise. I don't like the idea of ID'ing myself every transaction. That will only lead to a cut-off eventually. Any thoughts on how to deal with this? Not aware of any counters in the area besides what I'm already using. Thanks.

Upvote 0

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get IDed just about all the time I don't use my primary branches of my bank. They only make sure I have an account and they just need the account number to do the coin to cash transaction. I have shown my ID at 3 or 4 different branches, pick up at one, drop off at the next, never have been questioned about any transactions. And I only keep $1 in the account. Not sure if that helps.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what will kill it for all of us is the mook who leaves empty boxes on the floor :BangHead::BangHead:
that is bein' a :censored::tard: :angry5: :angry4: AND---
rule #1 is ---
do not dump:
A- :censored:,
B- building supplies
C-or wet coins.

ya' KANT FIX STUPIDO--- but catchin' 'em & snitchin' on 'em IS what might be necessary

All my bank associates are glad to see me---- I take stuff they want gone, AND NEVER kill the machine with crap dumps :laughing7:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Strongly suspect it has nothing to do with the jack wagon dumper, but more of the War on Terror. I don't think you need to worry about getting cut off just because you now have to show ID. This is becoming more and more common.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got Id at my bank for an account that I have had for over 20 years for depositing cash. It is a silly world

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I don't care about the ID but I really don't like the idea of every time I use the coin counter it's tracked. Maybe it won't end poorly but I'd be surprised.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Do they charge a fee for non-customers? If so, you were likely tracked all this time without knowing it. Unfortunately it's one of the prices we now have to pay for this hobby.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
You are fortunate to have a coin machine, the few here charge 3% to 5% to dump and then you HAVE to be a member of the bank or credit union with a valid account. I get ID'd just about every time I dump off 2 boxes of halves and I rotate between 5 branches of one bank here. I no longer have to ID to pick up my boxes as the tellers all know me.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are fortunate to have a coin machine, the few here charge 3% to 5% to dump and then you HAVE to be a member of the bank or credit union with a valid account. I get ID'd just about every time I dump off 2 boxes of halves and I rotate between 5 branches of one bank here. I no longer have to ID to pick up my boxes as the tellers all know me.

Wow weighit, you get charged 3 to 5% even as a member?!? That's crazy. The credit union I use as a dump charges 5% but for non-members. Members don't get charged a dime as the dump total gets added to whichever account you tell them to add it to; but, I also have started to get id. I don't mind having to show id; but, I find it strange. If I were looking to withdraw money I can see why they would need to verify I am who I am; but, if I provide you with an account number and looking to just deposit, I don't see the need to id.....just strange.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread