Large Dollars

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Went in to pick up $1,000 in halves from a bank that had cut me off 6 months ago. At the time the branch manager told me they were having problems with the armored car service, and asked if I would hold off ordering "for a few weeks." Well, the weeks turned into months, but I had other pick up banks, and then had a large tax bill, so I forgot about them for awhile.

Early this week I called the branch manager up and asked if I could start ordering again. She thanked me for being so patient and said she'd have the vault teller put in the order. Today I picked up my halves, and as I was on the way out I stopped by to thank the manager again. She said no problem, then proceeded to make small talk (while I'm holding 2 HEAVY boxes of halves on one arm...).

She then asks me if I collect Eisenhower dollars. Of course I say yes. She says a lady brought in 10 rolls of large dollars yesterday, but the teller who had them is off today, and could I come back Monday, as she'd really like to get rid of them? I said I'd be happy to help out, and that I'd be there first thing Monday morning!

Now bear in mind, this is a branch where once when I asked for loose halves, they actually gave me a Barber half that they had in a tray - clueless! I don't have any indication that there is anything other than $200 of Ike's, but with this place you never know!

I'll update next week, and will be dreaming of Morgans and Peace dollars till then!

FT

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I be in favor of building walls--------------------except when we be dizcussin' BANK staff.

my bank trip Friday for ass'td rolls, when a teller says she is holding more nics for me from the "horde" I scored last year. they were stored since 2001--- Monday they get a new home.

hope ya get some "RINGY'S" with the BIG BOYS------------------PEACE :laughing9:

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Well, turns out they had 12 rolls - $240 large dollars. Alas, all Ikes and no silver. Most rolls were sorted by date, but about 30 were in AU of better condition with plenty of mint luster. Only 5 1972-P's, no Type II. However there were fully 14 1976-D Type I's.

Now to decide what to do with them. I may put them up for auction at my next coin club meeting. Probably distribute the rest slowly, as tips and what not.

Edit: just re-reviewed the Ike Group site. I'll go back and check for tiger claws and friendly eagles.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, turns out they had 12 rolls - $240 large dollars. Alas, all Ikes and no silver. Most rolls were sorted by date, but about 30 were in AU of better condition with plenty of mint luster. Only 5 1972-P's, no Type II. However there were fully 14 1976-D Type I's.

Now to decide what to do with them. I may put them up for auction at my next coin club meeting. Probably distribute the rest slowly, as tips and what not.

Edit: just re-reviewed the Ike Group site. I'll go back and check for tiger claws and friendly eagles.

Careful. Once you realize the different varieties and the prices realized, you will indeed Like Ike. One of my favorite Ikes is the Talon Head - result of a die clash (reverse Eagle's claws are impacted on Ike's forehead) - giving the look of devil horns. But there are numerous Peg Leg varieties, Friendly Eagles (are fun to find), Tiger Claw, etc.

Jul 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 14 ikes sitting next to me right now. I'll probably kick myself a year from now when I understand what to look for. Even when I look at sites I don't quite understand what I'm looking for and what year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions