Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Paid the CRH Tax For These

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Jun 2016
    87
    151 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Paid the CRH Tax For These

    My pick-up bank forgot to place my order for halves last week, so I decided to try some dimes instead. Initially I was just going to grab $500, but the teller happened to have out $1000 in CWR that she was just about to unwrap and bag up, so I bought them all. Glad I did, because I snagged these seven goodies, including my first Merc and my first silver dime ender:

    1x 41D, 1x 56, 1x 58, 1x 61, and 3x 64D
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501002702.711618.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	1476073

    One of the 64Ds has a noticeable die crack on the reverse from the oak leaves through the C in AMERICA to the rim
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501003801.581396.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	945.3 KB 
ID:	1476081

    However, not all was beer and skittles. It was all cwr, and I am used to getting occasionally shorted a coin or two, or having foreign coins substituted in, and I accept that as part of the hobby. Even when I get 9 Canadian dimes, 2 5-pence pieces, and 5 pennies instead of the 16 dimes that should've been there:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501002962.243142.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1,015.7 KB 
ID:	1476074

    But this really takes the cake right here
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501003091.196054.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  94.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501003112.810898.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  88.6 KB

    A solid roll of pennies. I think what pisses me off is not so much that I lost at least $4.50 here (plus the other $1.60 from other rolls), but that someone really took the time to squeeze all those pennies into a dime wrapper, because it's sized for dimes, and you actually have to put some effort into it to force pennies down that tube.

    We've had a few morality/ethics threads on TNet recently that lead me to believe I'm preaching to the choir, but please, don't be that individual who stiffs others with junk in rolls.

    HH All
    Last edited by WheatFromChaff; Jul 25, 2017 at 12:30 PM.
    gold boy, A2coins, scruggs and 7 others like this.

  2. #2
    us
    Feb 2012
    2,745
    2295 times
    Coin roll hunting
    I know your pain when shorted in CRW's. I just wish that when someone brings in rolls, that they mark with a code number of the WHO that tried to swindle the bank and you out of actual monies involved.
    A2coins likes this.

  3. #3
    us
    Feb 2012
    2,745
    2295 times
    Coin roll hunting
    By the way, congrats on you silver find, especially nice to get a merc. Keep stacking, DozerD.
    WheatFromChaff likes this.

  4. #4

    Mar 2014
    370
    420 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    We've all been shorted, but I've never heard of a roll of dimes being a full roll of penny's. Why couldn't you roll the Canadian dimes in 11 rolls of dimes and turn them in? If you get them in rolls you should be able to turn them back in, in rolls.
    A2coins likes this.

  5. #5

    Jun 2016
    87
    151 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by barneyb71 View Post
    We've all been shorted, but I've never heard of a roll of dimes being a full roll of penny's. Why couldn't you roll the Canadian dimes in 11 rolls of dimes and turn them in? If you get them in rolls you should be able to turn them back in, in rolls.
    Well for one, my dump bank has a coin machine, so I don't re-roll, and secondly, that would potentially stiff someone else....
    FormerTeller and A2coins like this.

  6. #6
    us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

    Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    3,474
    6479 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    nice die crack

    good chance the teller knows who brought those rolls in for cash. let them know about the pennies ---- BUT NOT THE SILVER

    a magnet pass on nic, dime & qtr rolls will reveal the Canada steel
    A2coins likes this.

  7. #7
    us
    Oct 2013
    Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
    973
    1156 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    A few years ago I got $55 in dimes and all of the were stuffed with cents... I opened one up in the car and the checked the rest and sure enough all were cents. I went right back in and they took them back... But that was the day I found out it's not good news for that teller who now is short.

    For that one roll, it's tough to swallow but may be worth eating the $4.50 loss. Could end up causing issues if this is a good pickup bank. Stuff like this ends up causing branches to change policy on accepting rolled coin anymore.

    On the Canadian dimes chase banks will exchange for face value American... If it helps
    Last edited by Zomotion; Jul 25, 2017 at 09:02 PM.
    FormerTeller and A2coins like this.
    CRH 2019 silver to date 29.8914 oz

  8. #8

    Mar 2014
    370
    420 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    a magnet pass on nic, dime & qtr rolls will reveal the Canada steel

    I have never had that done to any roll I have turned in. Guess I'm lucky, in my areas, Canadian coins for the most part are just excepted and passed on just like US coins. I do save most of my canadian coins for a kid at my main bank for work.
    A2coins likes this.

  9. #9
    us
    Mar 2012
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 Garrett Ace 250
    3,140
    1892 times
    Coin Roll Hunting/ Metal detecting
    A little while back I picked up one of my orders of half dollars and there were 4 repacks in the order of 8 boxes I got, I thought oh well some more repacks......when I got home and started to set a couple of the rolls on my desk I noticed that they seemed a little shorter.......every roll in the 4 boxes of repacks was short 1 half. I lost $100.00+ dollars that day. The next week 2 more boxes showed up.....same thing in them except they were in sealed brinks boxes this time, not just taped shut. This was my biggest loss ever doing this in all the years I've CRHed, it sucks but is part of the game unfortunately. HH, Maverick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Message_1498615249900.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	1476332  
    A2coins likes this.
    Is it just me, or is "Douche-Bag" the new norm in society?

    ​Common Courtesy isn't very common anymore is it.....

  10. #10

    Jun 2016
    87
    151 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    A little while back I picked up one of my orders of half dollars and there were 4 repacks in the order of 8 boxes I got, I thought oh well some more repacks......when I got home and started to set a couple of the rolls on my desk I noticed that they seemed a little shorter.......every roll in the 4 boxes of repacks was short 1 half. I lost $100.00+ dollars that day. The next week 2 more boxes showed up.....same thing in them except they were in sealed brinks boxes this time, not just taped shut. This was my biggest loss ever doing this in all the years I've CRHed, it sucks but is part of the game unfortunately. HH, Maverick
    Wow that sucks.....did you notify the bank?
    A2coins likes this.

  11. #11

    Jun 2016
    87
    151 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomotion View Post
    A few years ago I got $55 in dimes and all of the were stuffed with cents... I opened one up in the car and the checked the rest and sure enough all were cents. I went right back in and they took them back... But that was the day I found out it's not good news for that teller who now is short.

    For that one roll, it's tough to swallow but may be worth eating the $4.50 loss. Could end up causing issues if this is a good pickup bank. Stuff like this ends up causing branches to change policy on accepting rolled coin anymore.

    On the Canadian dimes chase banks will exchange for face value American... If it helps
    Yeah still not sure if I should mention it or not. I will definitely make more of an effort to peek at CWRs before I leave the bank from now on.

    In terms of the Canadian steel, I've got some Canadian friends who will probably buy it from me at the exchange rate- they take trips up north pretty often. Good to know that about Chase, though....is that a regional or national policy in their banks?
    A2coins likes this.

  12. #12
    us
    Mar 2012
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 Garrett Ace 250
    3,140
    1892 times
    Coin Roll Hunting/ Metal detecting
    I told them but not much can really be done once you leave...I search alot though so best to just suck it up for me and move foward. HH, Maverick.
    A2coins likes this.
    Is it just me, or is "Douche-Bag" the new norm in society?

    ​Common Courtesy isn't very common anymore is it.....

  13. #13
    us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    718
    1230 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I am amazed how many CWRs are short. I got my first 1913 Barber dime yesterday but it cost me 40 cents in short rolls. That was only out of $30 in dimes. I have gotten buttons, lint, pennies, washers etc. In a way it tells me the tellers are not paying enough attention and it allows the silver to come through. In banks where they "check the rolls" I don't find silver since they are checking for shiny rims lol. I have been handed short rolls and if they are too short I'll hand them back and point it out. Last week I took two short rolls and pointed out they were (two dimes) short but said I'd take them anyway because there were customers waiting. As far as the foreign stuff, I save it if its cool and pass it on if I don't want it. When dumping in a coin machine they do stick to the magnet so you take the loss. I spend my money fixing so many rolls I don't feel bad in the least leaving a Canadian dime in there.
    A2coins and WheatFromChaff like this.

  14. #14
    us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

    Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    3,474
    6479 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    got 1 roll of CWR dollars from the CU----- on the end, a loon .
    so change that to a $24 roll of CWR $
    A2coins likes this.

  15. #15
    us
    Oct 2013
    Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
    973
    1156 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by WheatFromChaff View Post
    Yeah still not sure if I should mention it or not. I will definitely make more of an effort to peek at CWRs before I leave the bank from now on.

    In terms of the Canadian steel, I've got some Canadian friends who will probably buy it from me at the exchange rate- they take trips up north pretty often. Good to know that about Chase, though....is that a regional or national policy in their banks?
    I'm pretty sure national. They will take up to $10 a day - roll of Canadian quarters gets you $10 U.S. Cash
    A2coins likes this.
    CRH 2019 silver to date 29.8914 oz

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Paid $10 for all these.
    By Nickleanddime in forum Garage Sale Finds!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug 18, 2014, 11:40 PM
  2. it paid these kids to go to school, it paid their lawyer more
    By jeff of pa in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 12, 2010, 07:01 PM
  3. Paid a $1.00 What is it?
    By Utahbill in forum Garage Sale Finds!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 06, 2010, 09:57 AM
  4. Paid for gas
    By nyiangelo in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug 04, 2008, 01:06 AM
  5. Paid for gas?
    By bob nm in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun 10, 2007, 09:03 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0