Paid the CRH Tax For These

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pick-up bank forgot to place my order for halves last week, so I decided to try some dimes instead. Initially I was just going to grab $500, but the teller happened to have out $1000 in CWR that she was just about to unwrap and bag up, so I bought them all. Glad I did, because I snagged these seven goodies, including my first Merc and my first silver dime ender:

1x 41D, 1x 56, 1x 58, 1x 61, and 3x 64D
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501002702.711618.jpg

One of the 64Ds has a noticeable die crack on the reverse from the oak leaves through the C in AMERICA to the rim
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501003801.581396.jpg

However, not all was beer and skittles. It was all cwr, and I am used to getting occasionally shorted a coin or two, or having foreign coins substituted in, and I accept that as part of the hobby. Even when I get 9 Canadian dimes, 2 5-pence pieces, and 5 pennies instead of the 16 dimes that should've been there:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501002962.243142.jpg

But this really takes the cake right here
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501003091.196054.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501003112.810898.jpg

A solid roll of pennies. I think what pisses me off is not so much that I lost at least $4.50 here (plus the other $1.60 from other rolls), but that someone really took the time to squeeze all those pennies into a dime wrapper, because it's sized for dimes, and you actually have to put some effort into it to force pennies down that tube.

We've had a few morality/ethics threads on TNet recently that lead me to believe I'm preaching to the choir, but please, don't be that individual who stiffs others with junk in rolls.

HH All

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I know your pain when shorted in CRW's. I just wish that when someone brings in rolls, that they mark with a code number of the WHO that tried to swindle the bank and you out of actual monies involved.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, congrats on you silver find, especially nice to get a merc. Keep stacking, DozerD.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've all been shorted, but I've never heard of a roll of dimes being a full roll of penny's. Why couldn't you roll the Canadian dimes in 11 rolls of dimes and turn them in? If you get them in rolls you should be able to turn them back in, in rolls.

OP
OP
W

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've all been shorted, but I've never heard of a roll of dimes being a full roll of penny's. Why couldn't you roll the Canadian dimes in 11 rolls of dimes and turn them in? If you get them in rolls you should be able to turn them back in, in rolls.

Well for one, my dump bank has a coin machine, so I don't re-roll, and secondly, that would potentially stiff someone else....

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice die crack :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

good chance the teller knows who brought those rolls in for cash. let them know about the pennies :BangHead:---- BUT NOT THE SILVER 8-)

a magnet pass on nic, dime & qtr rolls will reveal the Canada steel

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I got $55 in dimes and all of the were stuffed with cents... I opened one up in the car and the checked the rest and sure enough all were cents. I went right back in and they took them back... But that was the day I found out it's not good news for that teller who now is short.

For that one roll, it's tough to swallow but may be worth eating the $4.50 loss. Could end up causing issues if this is a good pickup bank. Stuff like this ends up causing branches to change policy on accepting rolled coin anymore.

On the Canadian dimes chase banks will exchange for face value American... If it helps

Last edited:

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a magnet pass on nic, dime & qtr rolls will reveal the Canada steel

I have never had that done to any roll I have turned in. Guess I'm lucky, in my areas, Canadian coins for the most part are just excepted and passed on just like US coins. I do save most of my canadian coins for a kid at my main bank for work.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A little while back I picked up one of my orders of half dollars and there were 4 repacks in the order of 8 boxes I got, I thought oh well some more repacks......when I got home and started to set a couple of the rolls on my desk I noticed that they seemed a little shorter.......every roll in the 4 boxes of repacks was short 1 half:BangHead:. I lost $100.00+ dollars that day. The next week 2 more boxes showed up.....same thing in them except they were in sealed brinks boxes this time, not just taped shut. This was my biggest loss ever doing this in all the years I've CRHed, it sucks but is part of the game unfortunately. HH, Maverick

Attachments

• Message_1498615249900.jpg
    Message_1498615249900.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
W

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little while back I picked up one of my orders of half dollars and there were 4 repacks in the order of 8 boxes I got, I thought oh well some more repacks......when I got home and started to set a couple of the rolls on my desk I noticed that they seemed a little shorter.......every roll in the 4 boxes of repacks was short 1 half:BangHead:. I lost $100.00+ dollars that day. The next week 2 more boxes showed up.....same thing in them except they were in sealed brinks boxes this time, not just taped shut. This was my biggest loss ever doing this in all the years I've CRHed, it sucks but is part of the game unfortunately. HH, Maverick

Wow that sucks.....did you notify the bank?

OP
OP
W

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I got $55 in dimes and all of the were stuffed with cents... I opened one up in the car and the checked the rest and sure enough all were cents. I went right back in and they took them back... But that was the day I found out it's not good news for that teller who now is short.

For that one roll, it's tough to swallow but may be worth eating the $4.50 loss. Could end up causing issues if this is a good pickup bank. Stuff like this ends up causing branches to change policy on accepting rolled coin anymore.

On the Canadian dimes chase banks will exchange for face value American... If it helps

Yeah still not sure if I should mention it or not. I will definitely make more of an effort to peek at CWRs before I leave the bank from now on.

In terms of the Canadian steel, I've got some Canadian friends who will probably buy it from me at the exchange rate- they take trips up north pretty often. Good to know that about Chase, though....is that a regional or national policy in their banks?

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I told them but not much can really be done once you leave...I search alot though so best to just suck it up for me and move foward. HH, Maverick.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am amazed how many CWRs are short. I got my first 1913 Barber dime yesterday but it cost me 40 cents in short rolls. That was only out of $30 in dimes. I have gotten buttons, lint, pennies, washers etc. In a way it tells me the tellers are not paying enough attention and it allows the silver to come through. In banks where they "check the rolls" I don't find silver since they are checking for shiny rims lol. I have been handed short rolls and if they are too short I'll hand them back and point it out. Last week I took two short rolls and pointed out they were (two dimes) short but said I'd take them anyway because there were customers waiting. As far as the foreign stuff, I save it if its cool and pass it on if I don't want it. When dumping in a coin machine they do stick to the magnet so you take the loss. I spend my money fixing so many rolls I don't feel bad in the least leaving a Canadian dime in there.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got 1 roll of CWR dollars from the CU----- on the end, a :censored: loon :BangHead:.
so change that to a $24 roll of CWR $ :sad11:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah still not sure if I should mention it or not. I will definitely make more of an effort to peek at CWRs before I leave the bank from now on.

In terms of the Canadian steel, I've got some Canadian friends who will probably buy it from me at the exchange rate- they take trips up north pretty often. Good to know that about Chase, though....is that a regional or national policy in their banks?

I'm pretty sure national. They will take up to $10 a day - roll of Canadian quarters gets you $10 U.S. Cash

OP
OP
W

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a great policy Chase has, so I just googled where the nearest branch is.....it's an ATM 58 miles away [emoji51]

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold up on the Chase thing. I did that several months ago....even posted on here about it. $10 in quarters, I got away with it a one branch. The branch that told me about it. I tried it, they said it was only for dollar and two dollar coins, no other change. You can try it, but it might not work. I'd ask the banks first, some might do it. The bank also might buy at a lower percentage too so be aware of that.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cashed twonies, loonies, quarters, dimes, nickels, & cents at multiple different chase branches. All were cool that I don't have an account too.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know your pain when shorted in CRW's. I just wish that when someone brings in rolls, that they mark with a code number of the WHO that tried to swindle the bank and you out of actual monies involved.
You used to have to write your account number on the wrapper. If pennies are shoved into dime wrappers, it is visible through the wrapper. It makes a ridge!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Hate to resurrect an old thread but the comments about letting the banks know about shorts or pennies in dime rolls,

One of the local banks for years would not let anyone buy a CWR as they might be short even when I told them that is part of the game and a risk I take. No good they had a policy, now CWR to clients or anyone.

Heard that it had changed, went back this weekend and got 5 CWR of halves, one was a $20 half roll of 40 coins. I also got 40 rolls of dimes from TD bank. Here are the results, it is best to eat the loss rather than lose the bank.

3 90% 22 40% 30 silver dimes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread