SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone!

I've been perusing coins for a while now, but nothing too serious. I own a restaurant so its pretty easy (and fun!) to go through the rolled and loose coins in the regi and look at the other currency coming in. I have also been checking the local coinstar and have found a few interesting finds there too. I've amassed a very small collection of mostly 20th century dates. Nothing too crazy (YET!). I want to start going on this though, it just seems silly not to with as much as I'm at the bank.

So, I have been reading the threads and doing a lot of research, but still have a few questions I hope someone can help me out with.

- Say I found a box like the ones Maverick found this week.... What is the best option, sell or keep? Is it personal decision making time?
- If I wanted to sell where exactly would I take them? There are coin and pawn shops all over where I live, how do I know who to choose? Are these
even the best outlets?
- Is there a minimum amount usually required for selling or can I bring them in as I find them?
- Has anyone had any luck at Amscot or places other than the bank? The local Amscot trades US currency and is really helpful outside of banking
hours.

Finally, what is your best tip for someone new to this? What do you wish someone had told you?

I look forward to all of your advice and I apologize for asking any duplicate questions!

SWFLA456 (AKA Stef)

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a personal decision. Silver is low right now so most people hang on to them.
You have to check around to see who pays the most.
Best tip I can give? Read the beginner's guide sticky at the top of the page. Boxes like he found are extremely rare. Most people are lucky to find a few per box. There are many skunk boxes. This is a hobby, not a get rich quick deal. If you think you're gonna get wealthy, then go elsewhere. Most importantly, have banks to take your searched coins. Not the same place you pick them up. That's a no no.
Sorry, I think that's more than one!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy a U S COIN RED BOOK if possible. It will give tons of info on all U S coins, then you might consider honing in on a particular type of coin. Just my opinion, and welcome to TN and CRH. We are all here to help where we can. Now get out there and start stacking.

OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks both! Definitely not looking to get rich. I just figure I'm dealing with cash/coin every day I may as well have some fun with it and if I make a couple bucks then that's great too. I've always been interested in coins and remember as a kid getting the heavy silver quarters in change at the local general store. I just wish someone would have told me to hang on to them!

I've been 'ghosting' around researching and learning for the past couple months so the questions above were more of a summary of what I haven't been able to decipher. Still trying to just figure out some of the lingo!

OP
OP
S

SWFLA456

Jun 11, 2017
St. Augustine, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a U S COIN RED BOOK if possible. It will give tons of info on all U S coins, then you might consider honing in on a particular type of coin. Just my opinion, and welcome to TN and CRH. We are all here to help where we can. Now get out there and start stacking.

I have the red one 2016 version. :thumbsup: good to go?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Many just hold on to their finds. When I was CRH'ing hard, I figured I could possibly break even, considering my time, gas, and other costs.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would never sell coins to a coin shop. They probably give the lowest. The few that I do want to sell I put on ebay. You can click on "sold" listings to find out how much your particular coin is selling for.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Here is one more tip.

10 years ago when I was into CRH, I would hang on to the silver I found all year, and would sell it when the spot price increased around February.

Checking out various recent spot histories, it appears the spot price has not spiked in February recently, but even so, the point is, check your recent history, and if the spot price is in a valley (low) just hang on to your silver until the price bumps up.

I sell mine to a coin dealer I know. I have not been into CRH for some years now, as I went through many boxes over a period of months without finding anything, and decided I was burned out on skunk boxes.
I still occasionally find stuff. My bank had $100 in factory rolls last week, so I took them home, and was skunked.

I may get back into it someday.

Best of luck!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being in the restaurant business, don't overlook the paper bills. Every now and then you may find a nice gem there too in the form of a Star Note, Barr Note or older notes (the thought here is someone inherits grandpa's paper money collection and decides to spend it on a nice dinner). There are a couple of members on here that have sold $50 star notes for a profit on eBay. Go back a few months in the forum and you'll see the posts. :)

Enjoy the hobby and good luck!
TwoYewts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread