Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Penny Roll Stats?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2012
    996 times
    Coin roll hunting
    Vern2: what better way to spend time with your grandson, and hopefully get him interested enough into this coin hobby, either as a folder collector or a CRH. Welcome to our forum, TN, and the hobby itself. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it slow & steady.

Charter Member
    us
    Vern

Jan 2017
    Leesburg Ga
    Tesoro DeLeon; Red Racer Garrett carrot, Makro PP Lesche shovel and knife Killer B's head phones
    468 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thank you, Dozier. He's my buddy. Just like I did his daddy, I am trying to impress upon him the value of saving money and coin collecting. His mother died 4/2016 of cancer, 38 yr old. So I have this great opportunity to help raise a special little boy.

Update: another 10 penny rolls today. 73 coppers, 1 wheat, a dime, and a Canadian cent. He found everything but 47 coppers. I'm getting beat up pretty bad.

us
    Jun 2017
    Bradenton, FL
    Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
    26 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm getting quite a lot of coppers still here in Southwest FL. I know it sounds crazy but I was upwards of 40% last week both in spare change and rolls. I have only found 1 wheat though in rolls over the past couple months. I don't do boxes or anything high volume, but unroll about 12-15/week. I have found more wheaties in the coinstar than anywhere else. A couple weeks ago I found one ON TOP of a coinstar!
    gold boy likes this.

us
    Mar 2017
    30 times
    [QUOTE=GMan00001;5500802]

And just for more fun with math of what is really left out there, let's use wheat cents. From 1909-1958, there were 25,817,950,007 cents minted. If they were all in circulation and randomly distributed, one would expect to find on average that 5.12% of all cents searched were wheat cents. That would work out to roughly 128 wheat cents per $25 box. Obviously, many wheat cents have been pulled, lost, or destroyed, so the actual find percentage is considerably less. Although it varies based on location, the average number of wheat cents found per $25 box seems to be ~10 (or a find percentage of 0.4%). If that's true, it means 10 of every 128 wheat cents is still circulating, leaving only 2,017,027,344 wheat cents yet to be pulled from circulation. Still some work to do!

[QUOTE]

Two billion wheat cents sounds like a lot...but it's sobering to realize that works out to six for every person in the United States.

I got my share today. This will help to bring up those averages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170908_161149.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	1492040

Charter Member
    us
    Vern

Jan 2017
    Leesburg Ga
    Tesoro DeLeon; Red Racer Garrett carrot, Makro PP Lesche shovel and knife Killer B's head phones
    468 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thursday, I purchased a $50 bag of pennies from a local bank. That's 5,000 pennies. Whew.

About 1/3 through: 7 wheats & 1 Canadian penny. I won't know the % of copper until I finish the whole bag, but I am keeping a record. An educated guess maybe 15%.

In the beginning, I told myself and GS I would be happy with 10 wheaties.

Oldest so far is 1928.

us
    Feb 2012
    996 times
    Coin roll hunting
    Vern: you may be right on the money with your guess, I run about 10-12 Wheaties per box, and about 12-15% coppers. Keep at it, you're doing fine.

Charter Member
    us
    Vern

Jan 2017
    Leesburg Ga
    468 times
    Metal Detecting
    Finished the bag of 5,000 pennies. Whew. GS said he is ready for another bag. I said, "no, gonna be rolls for awhile now, after we take a short break". Here are the final results:

510 coppers
    10 wheaties
    3 Canadian 1 cent

I was not super pleased with the 510 copper, but okay with the wheats. Ten was our goal when opening the bag.

So, would you say this is below average? I kinda think it is. But not enough to quit by no means. We had fun. Plus GS now has 10 more wheats to add to his collection.
    Last edited by Vern2; Sep 11, 2017 at 06:42 PM.
    Bb3p likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    996 times
    Coin roll hunting
    You did fine, any good dates on the wheats? That's where the fun sometimes rest, finding some good dates or extremely fine looking coins. This is the game I play with in finding the "best of the best" for the 13-grandkids that I have given Vol.1,2,3, of the Lincoln series folders.

Charter Member
    us
    Vern

Jan 2017
    Leesburg Ga
    468 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'll have to get my coin book out and check the dates. Thirteen GC? Wow. I have four.

us
    Mar 2017
    30 times
    I went through ten more rolls last week; nothing out of the ordinary--one wheat and 63 coppers. The big difference was, no 2017-P's this time (I usually find about four or five). And I've almost never come across a 2009 that's clean and in decent shape.

us
    Mar 2017
    30 times
    I finally went through a $25.00 box today. The results seem to be fairly in line:

Coppers: 387
    Wheats: 9 (one 1923, the rest from the 40's and 50's)
    Canadians: 3 (two coppers from the '60's, one from the dodecagonal era)
    2009's: 10 (only two or three in good shape)
    2017-P's: 0 (these are definitely disappearing)
    Dimes: 1

Not great, not terrible, always fun. HH.

us
    Rich

Oct 2013
    SoCal
    old used white's surfmaster PI, DFX & DF
    1338 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by NSR60 View Post
    Inevitably the coppers will become harder to find, with all of us out there enforcing Gresham's Law. Right now, you'd be lucky to get a 10 percent premium from a dealer, but the wheats and occasional IHP's keep it worthwhile. And finding a dime in a penny roll=instant win.

My dad brought home a couple of Morgans from Vegas once. In the early '70's, before precious metals really took off, some people were still using them in the slots.
    In the late 50's early 60's my Dad would take the family to Vegas a couple of times a year. We always stayed in some iconic hotel. Once we got there I never remember seeing my Dad much. The one thing I do remember is how he complained about all the Silver Dollars that he was winning and lugging around. He would have them all over the room. At the time he thought they were heavy, dirty and just a pain to deal with!!!

us
    Mar 2017
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcarrot View Post
    In the late 50's early 60's my Dad would take the family to Vegas a couple of times a year. We always stayed in some iconic hotel. Once we got there I never remember seeing my Dad much. The one thing I do remember is how he complained about all the Silver Dollars that he was winning and lugging around. He would have them all over the room. At the time he thought they were heavy, dirty and just a pain to deal with!!!
    They probably were. But if we knew then what we know now...

My Dad brought back an 1896 and an 1898, to go with the 1880 that I had bought. At the time, I marveled at how old they were. While it doesn't happen often, I have recently gotten coins in change that are older now than these Morgans were then.

Sep 2012
    307 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan00001 View Post
    ...as each year passes and more cents are minted, the percentage of copper found will continue to go down as the total number of copper cents minted compared to the total number of all type of cents minted will be a smaller percentage...
    I like your analysis.

One thing to keep in mind though is that for all of the 1 cent coins that die of natural causes each year, the majority of those will be of the newly minted type.

Copper coated zinc cents are not even remotely as durable as the solid brass cents. All it takes to destroy a zinc cent is a small nick in the copper layer and incidental exposure to the elements. That zincoln will melt away from the inside out. A brass one on the other hand will only discolor.

us
    May 2011
    2302 times
    How about this hunt for skewing those numbers on one cent roll hunting?
    I don't hunt rolls much but once in awhile I pick up some one cent rolls here and there just because I have fun looking for wheats.
    I picked up 4 rolls on one visit and when I got them home I dumped them out and saw a bunch of dirty coins.
    I thought I had gotten some rolls from another hunter that just rolled up his dug up coins and dumped them at the bank...at first.
    Looking closer I noticed that wasn't dirt but rust, and all of them that I could get the details off of were wheat cents.
    I had 199 steel cents and one zincoln staring at me!
    I was shocked.
    I figured they were kept in a jar or a box in a damp area for decades, how someone managed to gather up so many steel cents I have no idea but I suppose it was pretty easy during the war years to do it.

I used a lemon juice and salt bath on them and most except a couple of the most rusted ones cleaned up great...still have them too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photostudio_1509416601945.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	1510902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photostudio_1509416683003.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	348.3 KB 
ID:	1510903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photostudio_1509417575167.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	1510904  
    Last edited by digger27; Oct 30, 2017 at 11:07 PM.
    "I intend to live forever. So far, so good!".
    2017 Totals...Clad, silver pin, a silver bracelet, 13 silver coins including a freaking Barber quarter and a beautiful walking half, Plus 4 V nickels....still on the hunt for gold!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links