6th week of no silver halves

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Try dimes or nickels, CRW's, bags, but don't give up yet. Give it time to stack.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the neighbors are complaining about my herd of :censored: skunks I been bringin' home for 2 months :BangHead:

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently amidst an 8-week long skunk streak, representing 30-something boxes of halves and at least $1,000 in CWR of halves.

Dimes have been the same, although I've done considerably less boxes of dimes than boxes of halves.

I haven't found a single thing of note, silver or otherwise, since 7/12.

Ugh.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has slowed down for me as well on my boxed halves, not finding any silver. Also, cannot seem to find loose or CRW halves at my usual sources. On the bright side, found out about a coin collecting club in my town and went to the first meeting Tuesday night. Great bunch of buys and gals. Two of the older gents are local dealers and can supply me with harder to find Ikes and Kennedys for reasonable prices. Plus, I answered a trivia question and won a door prize: a 1972-S Proof Clad Ike still in the box! They like to horse trade after the meetings so it should be fun.......

OP
OP
B

Bb3p

Dec 26, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Not going to quit. Todays box broke the streak. 3rd roll from the last yielded a 90% Kennedy, nice way to break streak!!!!!!!!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Six weeks? At the risk of seeming rude, let me post this sarcastic comment: Welcome to the real world.

Six weeks with no silver may seem like a lot, and to you it may be. Have you given any thought to searching for errors? Yes, it does take longer, but the possibility for finding a valuable coin would increase. A significant die crack, cud, or repunched mint mark could be worth a few $20s or more to the right collectors.

I keep on hand a list, developed over many years, of potential buyers of nearly every type of error. I might go a few months without finding anything particularly valuable, but that is part of life. Long periods of tedium and rote, followed by seconds of excitement and joy.

Time for more coffee.

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was just me. Must be the summer doldrums.

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Up until 3 months ago I was averaging 100+ silver halves a month for over 2 years. I search around 6 boxes a week and hit a lot of banks for CWR and teller tray finds. Last year I found 13 solid CWR ( still looking for a solid 90% roll ). No solid rolls yet this year. In the last 3 months I have only stacked 32 silver halves. It's been like 5 skunk boxes then 1 box with a single 40%. Worst was 16 skunk boxes in a row. I am finding almost as many CWR and teller tray halves just no silver. AND, I have not found any Coin Star finds either. Is got to turn around at some point.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bb3p

Dec 26, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up until 3 months ago I was averaging 100+ silver halves a month for over 2 years. I search around 6 boxes a week and hit a lot of banks for CWR and teller tray finds. Last year I found 13 solid CWR ( still looking for a solid 90% roll ). No solid rolls yet this year. In the last 3 months I have only stacked 32 silver halves. It's been like 5 skunk boxes then 1 box with a single 40%. Worst was 16 skunk boxes in a row. I am finding almost as many CWR and teller tray halves just no silver. AND, I have not found any Coin Star finds either. Is got to turn around at some point.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

i hope it turns around for you soon

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been pretty dismal for me this year too - I'm averaging less than 1 silver per box for the first time since I started searching halves in 2011. Also, haven't had a really good score yet this year, boxes or otherwise. I usually have at least one or two memorable scores a year (solid rolls, 20+ silvers/box, etc.). I will hopefully hit $500,000 in halves searched by the end of next year & I will probably hang it up at that point.
I try to stay optimistic- things usually brighten up. I remember one time I had a 16 box skunk streak followed the next week by 16 in a row with silver!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain. I got discouraged and dropped out of CRHing for over 2 years. I had hit for 2 solid rolls of Walkers 3 years ago from a BoA, got 32 rolls two were solid.

This weekend I went around to find out if any of my $10 bank accounts were still active and also asked for halves, one bank had them. I also got 40 rolls (7 CWR and 33 Gaurdia BWR) .

The halves one was solid, with 40% and 3 90% kennedy's and the BWR dimes were a bonanza to me, my totals on dimes for all the years I searched was (don't laugh) 12 dimes, well I got 30 from the 33 BWR rolls! I am back for now until I get discouraged again.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on a smaller skunk streak as well 6 boxes or so - but i realize that it is what it is - I'll get through this , I always do - I never quit !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread