Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a head teller taking in bags of coins, no halves, and she shares that the half dollar bag takes for ever to fill, and that she will cal me when it is full.......

The interesting part is that, the bank is charged when, the bags are picked up for an off site counting, for a particular fee. So, if this is true for other banks, we are saving them money,
By buying a bag......

I have been in site for a few years, Is this old news or new news.......

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Well Fargo vault manager had a talk with me once. She told me to stop bringing in $500 sealed bags of halves. I filled her vault and she had no more room.

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've bought about 12 bags of coins this year from several of my banks (all denominations) and told the branch managers that I hoped it was a "win'-win". A win for me since I have mega coins to search through for my coin collection and hopefully a win for them since I save them the courier (armed guard) charges for those bags. They agreed. I suppose it is possible they pay the courier a flat fee to pick up any and all bags that day and my one bag I buy here or there won't matter. One time, I did buy all 6 bags (cent, nickel, dime, quarter, half dollar (partially filled), and small dollar. It was fun, but took me FOREVER to search them all since I looked at every date and upgraded my coin collection as I went! That was too much. Since then, I have concentrated on the half dollar bags when I can get them. Same story as Jyorsky mentioned: att all my sources of bagged halves - they do take a long time to fill. Some banks make me wait until they are full ($1000), others will sell me a partial bag. From what they tell me it can take 6 months or more to fill a bag. This summer, half dollar accumulation in my bank's coin machines has been excruciatingly slow. Got me to wondering if maybe there's a better time of the year for people to dump their halves??? This summer has been very slow......

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently bought a bag of halves from one of my banks. I had been waiting for 8-months to buy it. When it was full, bought it, date on the bag was 18-months old. That's how long it took to fill.

Last edited:

meraxes

Jun 25, 2017
Sacramento
Primary Interest:
Other
It's probably a good sign if it takes awhile. Seems less likely that coin machine is someone's dump.

CRH_Mano

Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a bag of halves from one of my banks. I had been waiting for 8-months to buy it. When it was full, bought it, date on the bag was 18-months old. That's how long it took to fill.

How were the results?

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
This summer, half dollar accumulation in my bank's coin machines has been excruciatingly slow. Got me to wondering if maybe there's a better time of the year for people to dump their halves??? This summer has been very slow......

Yes, there is a "CRH Season". Late Jan into March is the most profitable time to search. A lot of people are cashin in the old halves and change to purchase holidays gifts and what not. By the time the carriers process the coins, re roll them, and ship them out, its already been a few months. I used to do 80ish box's of halves a week. Don't do it any more, but I'll still like to hit it hard the last week of my winter break at the end of January, last two years have paid off.

And to reply to OP.
No bank in SoCal will sell bags; or order them for that matter. It amazed me how ever branch or every bank had a different rule book to follow. If they'll sell you bags off the machine, never stop buying them!!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No bank in SoCal will sell bags; or order them for that matter. It amazed me how ever branch or every bank had a different rule book to follow. If they'll sell you bags off the machine, never stop buying them!!

Where in SoCA? Credit Union of SoCa sold me bags all the time. Once a manager from the Whittier branch knew I wanted a bag of halves and drove it (after work) to my branch in Brea. She did get her butt chewed out so from then on I drove to Whittier (the main branch) for bags.

Yes, different rules for different banks. You have any group of companies they will all be run differently. But I also think tellers or managers make up rules as needed. Go in a few weeks later and see if the rules are different.

P.S. that bag was only half full but every hand full I took out had SILVER. Don't remember the totals but there was JFKs, BENs & LADYs up the kazoo.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My bank ordered a few more boxes for me. They informed me today when I was cashing my check. I've only been through one box a week or so ago and I found only a 2011 nifc, no silver.
When I returned the box to be deposited they asked if I found anything and asked if there was still $500. I told them I only found one coin but replaced it with another I had at home. They never counted or weighed the coins at all and I thought that was strange. They just set them aside and that was it. Is that normal? My biggest stress was walking in with 1000 half dollars to begin with and it was the easiest part! I did put them all back in the paper rolls and it was nice and tidy.
They like helping me "look for coins" when I go in there like they think it's cute haha. I'll think it's cute when I start stacking those silvers!

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank ordered a few more boxes for me. They informed me today when I was cashing my check. I've only been through one box a week or so ago and I found only a 2011 nifc, no silver.
When I returned the box to be deposited they asked if I found anything and asked if there was still $500. I told them I only found one coin but replaced it with another I had at home. They never counted or weighed the coins at all and I thought that was strange. They just set them aside and that was it. Is that normal? My biggest stress was walking in with 1000 half dollars to begin with and it was the easiest part! I did put them all back in the paper rolls and it was nice and tidy.
They like helping me "look for coins" when I go in there like they think it's cute haha. I'll think it's cute when I start stacking those silvers!

You return your searched coin to the same place you buy them? I thought that was a big no no for CRHers?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They never counted or weighed the coins at all and I thought that was strange.

That would not help. Grab a pile of different dates, look at the edges. You will see fat one and skinny ones. The weights go all over the place. The mint has no quality control and probably doesn't care. No silver so they don't have to be accurate.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I took them back to my bank where I got them. They don't seem to care if I want boxes and they don't even check them when I bring them back apparently haha.
She said if I had bags of coins and I wanted to cash them in I'd need to separate the denominations, then they weigh them for a count. I'd never heard of that because I've weighed coins and it's not a reality. They are all over the place in weights.
I figured at least they'd want a weight before I left with them but they didn't care. I'll probably buy boxes from other banks and deposit them there since it's so easy.
Maybe they appreciated the way I returned them I'm not sure. If they were in a bag they may have had to weigh them. That box didn't take very long to get through and it was a fun way to spend some time.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I took them back to my bank where I got them. They don't seem to care if I want boxes and they don't even check them when I bring them back apparently haha.
She said if I had bags of coins and I wanted to cash them in I'd need to separate the denominations, then they weigh them for a count. I'd never heard of that because I've weighed coins and it's not a reality. They are all over the place in weights.
I figured at least they'd want a weight before I left with them but they didn't care. I'll probably buy boxes from other banks and deposit them there since it's so easy.
Maybe they appreciated the way I returned them I'm not sure. If they were in a bag they may have had to weigh them. That box didn't take very long to get through and it was a fun way to spend some time.

You can bet your left eye that your situation will not last. Soon as the pencil pushers realize they're are pay the courier both ways it will stop. Never crap where you eat!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
They never counted or weighed the coins at all and I thought that was strange. They just set them aside and that was it. Is that normal?
During my wife's stint as a vault teller at a local CU, I dumped dozens of loose $500 bags of halves and dimes over the course of several years. Not a single bag counted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread